Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellibert View Post
My wife was on some sort of anti-depressants and took herself off cold turkey. (A long time ago - I can't remember what it was called)
She managed OK, but I have to say that you should NEVER try it alone.
Talk to the doctor who prescribed them and tell him - don't ask him - tell him you want get off, and follow his program with supervision.

But you need a good doctor willing to help you get off the medication, and you need support outside the doctor as well.

And as much as I hate to say it, sometimes the medication is necessary, so whilst I think you should stand firm on wanting to get off it, if the doctor presents good evidence for the need to continue, then follow his advice.

Now, I do not say they are never any use, but I am sceptical of the value in many cases, and I think drugs are way overprescribed (generally, not even just for depression etc), but taking yourself off them by yourself is dangerous.

And please, before people jump on me for my views - I acknowledge that sometimes the drugs are a necessary treatment. Sometimes there are non-drug alternatives.
I think your view is pretty spot on re meds. It is so easy for GP's to hand out meds willy nilly........... I think we as a nation are way over subscibed on meds.........
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I think your view is pretty spot on re meds. It is so easy for GP's to hand out meds willy nilly........... I think we as a nation are way over subscibed on meds.........
Although what the GP prescribed me was necessary and has been beneficial, I wish he had chosen another product. Biggest side effect is not being able to reach a happy ending without much effort. We all want it to last longer but after what seems eternity you just want to get to the destination.

BTW - good luck to Majak Daw and hope he gets the help he needs.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Tui2
Coyote ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
My GP handed me out drugs by googling my symptoms, together, like I know what the types were, anyway I turned out neither did he...10 years later