Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Question What would i need to do?

Im looking at these mags 19" from a 2007 falcon and wanting to put them on a 1998 EL,would they fit straight on or would there be spacers needed,cheers for any info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 482226138.jpg (53.7 KB, 47 views)
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What would i need to do?

Yes you will need what they call a hub adaptor, it is a small hub that has stud holes so you can bolt it to your car and then another set of studs come out for you to bolt the wheel on, the centre hole in the wheel may also need to be machined larger to fit over the new hub adaptor, i had these on my EB about 10 years ago, they are apparently not legal though.

Spacers are also illegal and in your case wont work as you need the wheels spaced too far out and you will run out of stud length and also the wheel wont sit on the centre bore correctly.

This sort of thing has been covered before google hub adaptor and see what you get.....

Failing that if they are factory ford rim you want google for copies, some wheels were made with the correct offset for earlier fords.
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Thumbs up Re: What would i need to do?

Thanks for that info
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think if the hub adaptors have a lip that fits inside the new wheel they are legal, they are called hub centric adaptors, they use them on some race cars so they must be ok
the cheap ebays ones don't always have the lip so they bear all the load onto the studs and they can break the studs
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
G6E-T

Hub centric spacer is what your after. Any larger than 5mm You need longer studs. Wouldnt recommend slip on spacers really. Bolt ons work well but are only avalible from a certain size up. Like 20mm or something. The lip on a hubcentric spacer, factory hub does NOT bear any load. Its soul purpose is to ensure the wheel is centred on the hub. If the clamping force is so weak that lip is taking the load...tighten the wheel nuts.. Also the further away you move the from the bearings the more leverage there is, there is some speculation this will destroy the wheel bearings faster. In my opinion thats probably true to a point, when using a very large spacer for example. thin slip ons it would have to be negligible

Pretty hard to know if you even need them without knowing the width/offset of those wheels. AU/B Series wheels generally wont fit unless they were aftermarket with an aggressive offset. If those are 8in +35's then probably no go. Wheel spacers are illegal in all states unless OE just FYI

Last edited by G6E-T; 01-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget it.
There are plenty of good rims around for pre-AUs.

As stated above, you'd need adaptors. They are illegal, they are rubbish, and they are dangerous.
(I suspect many shops would refuse to fit them.)

I don't know what the laws are in NZ, or whether you need to get your cars regularly inspected. I don't generally get too caught up in the "oooh, its iilegal" argument, and I doubt any cop would notice, but I imagine a car with adaptors would not be passed if it had to be inspected for any other reason.

I reckon by the time you look at the extra cost, the hassle, and the downsides, you're better off just looking for pre-AU rims.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i think if the hub adaptors have a lip that fits inside the new wheel they are legal, they are called hub centric adaptors, they use them on some race cars so they must be ok
the cheap ebays ones don't always have the lip so they bear all the load onto the studs and they can break the studs
I run such Hub Adaptors on my Territory, IMO are safe as bolting to the hub itself, unlike the spacers that push the wheel away from the lip, and also give a shorter amount of stud to bolt onto.
example below
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-Whee...sAAOSw~OVW0-Bi

But I still think they are deemed Illegal. In Vic we have no annual car inspection so its highly unlikely I will have any problems.

In New Zealand you would fail the 6 monthly WOF, not to mention the cops there are more likely to notice.
in NZ I would contact your Local Testing station and ask.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it's just me but those rims look like they have a lot of gutter rash and face damage.

Otherwise if they're just dirty it's a poor way to present a sale item.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ What he said.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I run such Hub Adaptors on my Territory, IMO are safe as bolting to the hub itself, unlike the spacers that push the wheel away from the lip, and also give a shorter amount of stud to bolt onto.
example below
The issues I have with these:
  1. no guarantee they will fully cover your existing studs & nuts to allow your rim to sit flush. Often you need to cut the ends off your existing studs, which means your hubs are knackered if you need to remove the adaptors
  2. The new studs are now held by the alloy adaptor rather than your wheel hubs. I would have little faith in the strength of that piece of alloy
  3. You're now relying on the dubious quality of the studs in the adaptor. The web is full of photos where these have snapped
Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

In NZ (which obviously doesn't treat all its residents like idiots, unlike Australia) wheel adapters are legal up to 30mm thick provided they are both hub centric and wheel centric and made of suitable materials, have correct pcd etc and are not used to excessively change the original vehicles track dimensions.

Couldn't trust Aussies with such sensible legislation could we

2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #12
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
  1. no guarantee they will fully cover your existing studs & nuts to allow your rim to sit flush. Often you need to cut the ends off your existing studs, which means your hubs are knackered if you need to remove the adaptors
  2. The new studs are now held by the alloy adaptor rather than your wheel hubs. I would have little faith in the strength of that piece of alloy
  3. You're now relying on the dubious quality of the studs in the adaptor. The web is full of photos where these have snapped
I’ve seen plenty of cheap rims snap at the base plate and studs and suspension components let go as well.

No need to be so scary.

You get what you pay for.

There are some very high quality ones on the market that have been race proven and there are some manufacturers that use them as well.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Correct you need to be wary of the studs protruding further than the spacer.
in my case mine stuck out about 5mm, but my wheels have a cavity that fits into, so no need to cut the existing studs.
that piece of alloy is thicker than most wheels I've seen
studs will all be fine if the wheels are fitted properly.

note Raptor says they are Legal in NZ, if Australia made them legal they could stipulate a standard.
but its always easier to say no
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
G6E-T

the bolt on do work well, drifters use them quite a bit and they give them a proper hiding.

Good wheels will have a recess to allow the extra length of the stud to sit in. Every set of after market wheels I have had has this. Like I already said the extra leverage against the wheel bearings can lead to premature ware. Were talkin like 20mm+ bolt ons though. super aggressive offsets can have a similar effect anyway so who cares
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post