Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
sprintxr8
Starter Motor

Default ford factory closure

Does anyone know of fords intentions with its collector cars when it closes the factory ?
sprintxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
sprintxr8
Starter Motor

Default Re: ford factory closure

I did read that they were shipping some cars back to US.
Old 19-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Where did you read that ?
Old 19-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
sprintxr8
Starter Motor

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life...9c85f0c57924f7
Old 19-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintxr8 View Post
G'day , thanks for posting the link as depressing as it was to read in places...I've been contemplating walking past Ford dealerships with no Falcons , Territory's sitting in there..That said ..like all things .".Get bloody used to it" I tell myself..I also tell myself this...I have two beaut Falcons..they're mine..I'll continue to enjoy them as long as I can and the Hyundai', Kia's , SSanyongs (what a stupid name) , Mahindra's ....etc etc...can go and get stuffed in this household..One day some kid is going to ask his dad "What did you used to drive when you were young "...He'll say "A Ford Falcon son , A Ford Falcon"..as they get in the Hybrid or Tesla or something...A betcha there'll a bit of moisture in the eye as he says it too.. If that's true about the Classic Falcon Collection going off shore WHAT AN ABSOLUTE INSULT...The very least they should do with them is send them off to several of our Car Museums around the country...Bloody Ford USA...can also sit and rotate as far as I'm concerned and leave their hatchet men to decimate somewhere else..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

If more people bought them they may still be here.

With respect, you may have two falcons but your profile says they are an AU2 and a BA - how does that help the factory?
I notice that most people who moan the loudest about the factory closing are not the people buying FGs or FGXs
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
If more people bought them they may still be here.

With respect, you may have two falcons but your profile says they are an AU2 and a BA - how does that help the factory?
I notice that most people who moan the loudest about the factory closing are not the people buying FGs or FGXs
I have an FG XR6 by the way these day. I sold the BA Fairmont. about seven weeks ago as a matter of fact.
Besides...What's that got to do with anything...Many of us low paid workers can't buy new cars of any persuasion but we'll buy near new cars..aka my XR6...The AU ll is my favourite of all time and would never part with it..What do you have if you don't mind me asking and just so you know (wit respect returned) I had to go to a lot of trouble and stretch my budget to buy this really low kms one owner FG XR6 and a lot of that was the good price I got for the Fairmont. I might not have a brand new Ford but unlike the people who have abandoned Ford altogether by buying my parts , servicing , aftermarket mods do a tiny bit to support the formerly great company that has provided me with a few genuinely good cars.. .Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Simon ....Rather than have a dig about those who haven't bought brand new ...have a dig at one of the reasons why not..I believe recent Past decade or so marketing has been disgraceful for Ford Australia..Look at these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l3KtRZzA9w and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7wDFGQB6w.
In those days Ford , not just Falcon were way more sell-able.and there a several more of genuinely inspiring ads that propmted many of us to try a Ford ..Notice in these couple of general company ads it wan't just the Falcon that was being advertised.. These are classic ads . I just updated my rides profile for you too...Shows AUll and FG XR6... .Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-04-2016 at 10:25 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

There are many reasons why all this is happening, but you can bank on the fact its not the public's fault. You cannot blame consumers for not buying a product if it doesn't appeal (for whatever reason).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintxr8 View Post
I couldn't find anywhere in that article that they were shipping cars to the US.

You have to remember Ford Australia are not closing. and whilst they may eventually Bulldoze the production facilities. Things like company records and Car collections wont need to be dispersed.

Does anybody know where "this car collection" is at the moment? my first thoughts were it would be located at the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong.
which by they way looks like its moving:
http://www.gmom.com.au/wp/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually reading the website, it looks like the collection is in Geelong Museum and I'm pretty sure that's where it will stay. I might have to go visit one day Ive heard its quite good.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
Jess1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day Simon ....Rather than have a dig about those who haven't bought brand new ...have a dig at one of the reasons why not..I believe recent Past decade or so marketing has been disgraceful for Ford Australia..Look at these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l3KtRZzA9w and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7wDFGQB6w.
In those days Ford , not just Falcon were way more sell-able.and there a several more of genuinely inspiring ads that propmted many of us to try a Ford ..Notice in these couple of general company ads it wan't just the Falcon that was being advertised.. These are classic ads . I just updated my rides profile for you too...Shows AUll and FG XR6... .Cheers Rod
It's not just marketing, the problem is the market for a large family car shrunk
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
I apologize.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate. Marketing has been brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9-D5RRWMQ

Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Actually reading the website, it looks like the collection is in Geelong Museum and I'm pretty sure that's where it will stay. I might have to go visit one day Ive heard its quite good.
Yeah, I have heard they have moved quite a few from the old
"Ford Discovery Centre" after it was closed to the new "Geelong Museum of Motoring"

Looking forward to going over for a look soon.

http://www.gmom.com.au/wp/
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The writing was on the wall for Falcon, i think Ford US may have wanted to give ford oz the bullet years ago, looking back at how bit by bit at how the Falcon was slowly put in a less and less competitive light year on year, to me it looked deliberate, but maybe I'm wrong, regardless is all over bar the shouting sadly .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1992 View Post
It's not just marketing, the problem is the market for a large family car shrunk
...G'day That's like saying what came first ..The Chicken or the Egg..The last decent Ford ad for me was the BA one "Can't Get Enough of This"...The advertising or lack of quality of it of course wasn't the only factor , but it certainly didn't help...Do you know how many times I've seen negative comments about the blue dress girl., many many similar negatives like "oh it's like she's selling whitegoods not cars " or "that jumpy little girl is so annoying " ..so if any feedback at all was going to the marketing department why didn't they try a different tack..They didn't try hard enough and maybe due to the rug being pulled out from underneath..Very complex..and governments that pander to get free trade agreements that allows cheap SUV's to come in .ALL Governments too..Re the large family car market . That's on the back of these SUV's from Korea , Japan , China Thailand flooding a pretty small market..What doesn't stack up is this..What demographic changed so dramatically since the BA/BF that still had decent sales...The freeing up of trade deals perhaps ? If and only if that was the case ...what did we gain with our trade markets into Asia other than iron ore and bauxite..ironically so they can build cars and sell them back to us or buy up many Australian companies..One day I'll try and find out...Cheers Rod..
Old 19-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #18
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

G'day ..Yes that ad was one of the better ones of the past decade but It wasn't on for long was it ? Too many do gooders..That said ..I can't think of many others that you can even remember these days..If I find any I'll let you know..Mind you Holden's ads aren't any better either..Re. the girl in the blue dress ones , maybe they just tried to copy the Toyota girl ones..
Gotta say of all the funny car ads..the Ford cane toad one is up there , my favourites are the Toyota ...Bugger Me ones..and the one with the two bulls in the FWD..very very funny...Cheers Rod..
Old 19-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #19
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

G'day...Yep , that was a rare goodie , but didn't last very long ..I think they copped a bit of flack..Very funny .. My favourite car ad's of all time in the funny catagory has to be the Toyota "Bugger " ones and the two bulls in the FWD is a total classic..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBx4Ql6Umo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u70DwS2FMw .These were very funny...Cheers Rod