Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: would you buy a g8e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
You have to realise that you are on a hiding to nothing when even the most rabid V8 zealots aren't backing up your idea.

It is very obvious that you are just thrashing around trying to find anything that might be a possible place for your "super engine".
Thank you for you candid opinion, I won't be boring anyone any more with my hiding to nothing opinions..
It's clear that the V8 zealots are so intolerant of engine combination and vehicles that threaten the purity of the FPV message
that anything different is considered unworthy of being a "Ford". So rather than fight the thought police I bid one and all adieu...

This place used to be somewhere when ideas could be shared between mates but now there seems to be a steering mafia that
decides how we should think and what we should say. perhaps it's right to maintain the Status Quo but to stifle every debate
with contemptuous retorts is merely driving people who are Ford friendly away..

I will be taking a long break.

Last edited by jpd80; 16-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #62
jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Thank you for you candid opinion, I won't be boring anyone any more with my hiding to nothing opinions..
It's clear that the V8 zealots are so intolerant of engine combination and vehicles that threaten the purity of the FPV message
that anything different is considered unworthy of being a "Ford". So rather than fight the thought police I bid one and all adieu...

This place used to be somewhere when ideas could be shared between mates but now there seems to be a steering mafia that
decides how we should think and what we should say. perhaps it's right to maintain the Status Quo but to stifle every debate

dont check out fordxr6turbo then lmao

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hmm, well lets just analyse this.

First part was an observation, one you did not challenge by simply producing supporting posts for any or your recent "T6 is dead", "I6 is dead" and "a small V8 is the solution threads".

The second part is my opinion as to why you have been continually doing the above.

The third part was an anecdote, one I have posted several times before both on here and the previous forum and was confirmed by one of the engineering team who was also a member of the old forum, about the reply received from a person who actually researched and developed Falcon engines to a question I asked about 10 years ago which was basically the same as yours, that is, "what about a small capacity light V8 in the Falcon".

Now I have been here a LOT longer than you and AFF has NEVER been a touchy feelly, politically correct "there are no wrong answers" forum.

You put forward an idea and it gets shot down then either come back with a valid response or accept that the idea may not be a good as you thought.
In the same way, if you make a post that you think is true and then evidence is presented to show that post to be incorrect, either rebuke or accept it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Hmm, well lets just analyse this.

First part was an observation, one you did not challenge by simply producing supporting posts for any or your recent "T6 is dead", "I6 is dead" and "a small V8 is the solution threads".
I have never said that T6 is dead or I-6 is dead - you assumed that and if you read between the lines,
small V8 was offered as a plan going forward..putting it into a contovertial thread about G8E was a mistake.

Before down balance, the engine plant was down around ten (10) I-6T builds a day,
that's was around 230 cars (Falcon and Ute) and spread across XR6Ts, G6ETs and F6s.
I have the "feeling" from what's not being said by plant workers that number has now shrunk again....

Quote:
The second part is my opinion as to why you have been continually doing the above.
Tony, I have nothing concrete to share at the moment but some very strange things are happening in the
background in the US that's related to engine developments that are linked with F Truck power plants but
I admit these may not be related to local decisions. (and no, it's not Nano V6) An expansion at the 5.0 V8 plant
in Canada was initially presented as a 5.0 expansion but I have since been told that another engine is going into there.....

Quote:
The third part was an anecdote, one I have posted several times before both on here and the previous forum and was confirmed by one of the engineering team who was also a member of the old forum, about the reply received from a person who actually researched and developed Falcon engines to a question I asked about 10 years ago which was basically the same as yours, that is, "what about a small capacity light V8 in the Falcon".
I remember and it was interesting reading and i remember some discussions relating to a possible S/C 4.6
but that FoA considered too expensive at the time, how strange considering today's situation..

Quote:
Now I have been here a LOT longer than you and AFF has NEVER been a touchy feelly, politically correct "there are no wrong answers" forum.

You put forward an idea and it gets shot down then either come back with a valid response or accept that the idea may not be a good as you thought.
In the same way, if you make a post that you think is true and then evidence is presented to show that post to be incorrect, either rebuke or accept it.
Fair enough, I'm a bit vulnerable at the moment..

Last edited by jpd80; 16-02-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 16-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Weird? Mate has now moved into the Falcon from the Commodore cos he had trouble fitting in and finds the Falcon much better! He is taller than you and about the same size.
Yeah, it could be how I have my seat, I've driven a VE Commodore and the seating position feels better for me, but the A pillars are just too damn big for me to consider purchasing one if I was going for a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Thanks for elaborating on that, it's a valid point you make.

I think from BA onwards Ford started putting airbags in the seats for the higher end models; fairlanes LTD's G6E's etc. I know when I have to clean under the seats with a vacuum cleaner there's quite a bit of gear under there; also the seat base motors too.

From my experience in the BA's and BF's, the seat is a lot higher than the FG's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220 View Post
I am the same height as you,7kg heavier and i fit in my 2012 fg ute no worries.Only issue i think is the steering wheel doesnt line up with the centre of the seat and feels weird being off centre,my au has plenty of room and also my eb ghia,they are perfect for my size imo.
Mind you my ute is manual and if i have the seat set up to suit my driving style i have a little trouble getting in especially when wearing shoes(normally drive in thongs) easier to get in if the seat is right back.
They did stuff up the falcon seating position in the fg!
I have to do this awkward step in and brush my thigh on the steering wheel when sitting down in the drivers seat, which is quite annoying.

Leg room etc is perfect, it just seems to be the seat, if the seat was right back no worries, but then when I adjust the seat I have to adjust the mirrors again because I'm real OCD about that if it isn't set up how I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
hahaha on the seating and access.. I'm a johnny short ***.. the seat is that far forward it does makes it awkward getting in....
Lol the fat boys and the short ones can't win.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #66
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Only issue i think is the steering wheel doesnt line up with the centre of the seat and feels weird being off centre,my au has plenty of room and also my eb ghia,they are perfect for my size imo.
Mind you my ute is manual and if i hat set up to suit my driving style i have a little trouble getting in especially when wearinave the seg shoes(normally drive in thongs) easier to get in if the seat is right back.
They did stuff up the falcon seating position in the fg!
This was a photo I did some time ago to prove that the seat actually is centred with the steering wheel:

I think whats happening is that you're actually not sitting in the middle of the seat because the seat base between the side bolsters is not wide enough for larger drivers. The LH bolster is supported against the centre console so it pushes the driver toward the right, so you are then sitting on the RH bolster which collapses easily.

Note the pedals are offset to the right.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #67
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is an interesting question to ponder. My view is that both the Territory and Falcon will be gone by 2016. Given the timing of my lease, that leaves one last purchase in 2014 of one or the other. I love the Territory for the way it drives. But, the last vestiges of my youth lusts after a V8 Falcon. The quote “She's the last of the V8s” still rings in my ears.

After the price of a G8E (and the deprecation that is like falling off a cliff), the next biggest stumbling block is the point Big Damo made, the relationship between seat, steering wheel, and dash (and I am below average height). While I haven’t made up my mind, at this stage, I would probably say no to a G8E.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In any case, there will be no G8E on FGII, the G6ET does such a good job that it's simply too good to ignore.

It sounds like there has been a big jump in I-6 Turbo production lately at Geelong
which is a big relief and the exact opposite of what I was lead to believe.

I wonder if that increase is due to lack of FPV V8s or simply the market rediscovering XR6T and G6ET after a slow patch last year..
It could be that while we debate the merits of a G8E, the market is voting wit its cash and pleased with Ford's current offerings
Old 17-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #69
Rodge
Banned

Quote:

Please don't mate, I for one, enjoy reading your posts.

I think its a case of the G6ET being such a great car that it makes a G8E pointless. Really the only flaw in the G6ET in my opinion is in the brakes, which is easy enough to fix. The fact that they use circa 15% less fuel than a SC V8 and for all intents and purposes are almost lineball in terms of performance makes a G8E redundent before its even conceived.

On the other side of the equation, (looking at both sides of this), if astute buyers like McNews are picking up SC GT-E's as demonstrators in the low $60's there's just no room for a G8E IMHO.

Last edited by Rodge; 17-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Please don't mate, I for one, enjoy reading your posts.

I think its a case of the G6ET being such a great car that it makes a G8E pointless. Really the only flaw in the G6ET in my opinion is in the brakes, which is easy enough to fix. The fact that they use circa 15% less fuel than a V8 is also a handy bonus.

On the other side of the equation, (looking at both sides of this), if astute buyers like McNews are picking up SC GT-E's as demonstrators in the low $60's there's just no room for a G8E IMHO.
Precisely and for all intents and purposes, a keenly priced GT-E = G8E pure and simple..
For people who want to buy one, all they have to do is look through FPV's line up.

And nah, I'm not going anywhere, I read way too much into Tony's response,
a lot more than what he actually said and meant...
My post was a projection of frustration after a very trying week.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #71
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
My post was a projection of frustration after a very trying week
Trust me I know the feeling. My wife and daughter have both been driving me bloody crazy all week. Came on here on a Sunday to escape
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #72
kinksta
Luxojet

If a V8 version was similar price, and same or better performance the my G6ET, I'd definitely get a V8. I want that sound!!!

It won't happen though I don't think...
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #73
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a G8Et? Im sure that would sell like hotcakes!
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #74
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Just had an epic drive in the GT-E :-)
Old 17-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #75
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Epic drives are no longer allowed in Sydney. Our roads are too epicly ***** and our police is too epicly budget hungry ...
Old 17-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post

The other big reason I can see is the success, or lack of it, of FPV. What would need to happen is the G8E and XR8 get the 315kw engine from the GS, then the GS and GT's would need to move up a notch with more power, more performance orientated features, and generally more bling. Its a simple arrangement that Holden and HSV have implemented very effectively. But the concern would be that the G8E and XR8 would eat into the FPV sales due to FPV's lack of standing in the market compared to HSV, and jeopardise the amortisation of the $40million that was spent developing the V8 in the first place.
Moving up a peg to leave the 315 at the bottom is an easy option, cause the intercooled version was developed alongside the 315 and 335, it just hasn't seen the light of day yet. Which may or may not have something to do with the structural integrity of the firewall area, which was already strengthened for the 335. But the money on developing it has already been spent and its sitting there till they decide to use it or not.

Ford tried to get FPV's intercooler stocks when they bought them out, but FPV told them to get stuffed and sold them out the backdoor to an aftermarket supplier

So i'd imagine there will soon be a bunch of intercooler's coming onto the market.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #77
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford tried to get FPV's intercooler stocks when they bought them out, but FPV told them to get stuffed and sold them out the backdoor to an aftermarket supplier
Why? If Ford bought out the balance of FPV didn't it also include stock etc..?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #78
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have a GTE and love it, i like that style of car. a working mans c63. To be fair if I could afford it I'd just buy another GTE over just about anything on the market.

But if the budget said that's where I was in the market. Absolutely. I'd buy a g8 over a G6 anytime. Assuming it is the 5.0 Na coyote engine.

Assuming g6E pricing, a g8e would be a winner in my eyes. The other thing is adopting world engines would benefit FOA's export potential, and make for cheaper aftermarket parts for modding cars in the later years.

The 4.0 i6 is an epically good engine now, but its an orphan in global production terms.
Old 18-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #79
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

No.

Just like how I wouldn't buy an XR8.

Just like how back in the B-series days, nobody bought a V8 Fairmont Ghia.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #80
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
The question is, should Holden introduce a turbo 6 to compete with Ford?
Think of all the market share they are losing by forcing all the T6 enthusiasts to buy a Ford or settle for an inferior V8.......
This exactly! With all the Holden butt kissing that goes on here (a FORD forum), everybody forgets this!
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
Smoin
Starter Motor

g6e t for me
Smoin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Why? If Ford bought out the balance of FPV didn't it also include stock etc..?
I'd assume that they offloaded them before the deal was signed off, probably because the HO program was put on hold.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #83
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
This was a photo I did some time ago to prove that the seat actually is centred with the steering wheel:

I think whats happening is that you're actually not sitting in the middle of the seat because the seat base between the side bolsters is not wide enough for larger drivers. The LH bolster is supported against the centre console so it pushes the driver toward the right, so you are then sitting on the RH bolster which collapses easily.

Note the pedals are offset to the right.
Well there you go,i do end up sitting on the right bolster.Is there the same amount of room in the ute as compared to a sedan? Guess i have to lose weight to be able to fit into my fg or maybe the console needs to lose weight
Ill have a closer look at it tonight and see if my *** is too wide
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #84
Owenx123

what about a manual option and with a updated 5.6l if its a G8E gotta have a turbo

The G6E by what ive felt is alot more dosile during gear changes to the XR6T (yes i know they are the same build i work amongst them) but the gears hold in the Factory G6E
Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #85
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Well there you go,i do end up sitting on the right bolster.Is there the same amount of room in the ute as compared to a sedan? Guess i have to lose weight to be able to fit into my fg or maybe the console needs to lose weight
Ill have a closer look at it tonight and see if my *** is too wide
I investigated into the fat *** syndrome,it turns out my bum fits inbetween the bolsters no worries but its the offset pedals which skew my seating position causing me to ride the door side bolster with my right leg,why would ford do that...
Could this be the reason i push the acceleratrix pedal too hard sometimes
Thanks silver ghia for the informative pic
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #86
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If it was:

- Priced the same or less than a G6ET
- Had an N/A Coyote in it.

Id happily open my wallet. In fact, I would be more inclined to get it rather than an XR8.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #87
machman
Starter Motor

gt-p seats are different from gt and gt-e seats
machman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: