Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default HOW TO: AU IRS Hub, Half Shaft and Sway Bar removal

Hi all.

I thought that I would write up today's activities as a supplement to the removal of rear hubs as prepared by russellw in the tech resources section. This applies to AU2/3 IRS. In this example, I removed both half shafts to facilitate the replacement of my rear swaybar.

Article relocated to Tech Portal

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH

Last edited by russellw; 18-06-2011 at 11:16 AM.
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: HOW TO: AU IRS Hub, Half Shaft and Sway Bar removal

Well done mate..!
Great write up..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well done and thanks!

I may be replicating before too long :(
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I fitted the same bar to my TE50. Can't remember exactly what I did to get it in - can remember it was struggle and son-in-law was helping - but didn't remove driveshafts that's for sure. We had the car jacked high.
Anyway, nice job of documenting how to remove the driveshafts. Going that far I would have replaced the bearings as they are a known problem
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
I fitted the same bar to my TE50. Can't remember exactly what I did to get it in - can remember it was struggle and son-in-law was helping - but didn't remove driveshafts that's for sure. We had the car jacked high.
Anyway, nice job of documenting how to remove the driveshafts. Going that far I would have replaced the bearings as they are a known problem
Thanks mate. Yes this job did sort of blow out on me. It started out to replace a broken wheel stud which you may have noticed not in the hub. After all that, I still do not have the wheel stud replaced as I realised that I would have to cut a hole with a hole saw through the backing plate, or separate the hub and bearings which I was not kitted up to do, nor did I have the bearings. As I had come so far, I decided to go the rest of the way and install the long overdue rear sway bar.

My bearings are ok (touch wood) at the moment so it can wait, not that I have the kit to separate hub!

Cheers to all the compliments
Thanks, Stu.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Dima
Starter Motor

Can you just drop the diff to get it out? To replace the swaybar that is?
Dima is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima View Post
Can you just drop the diff to get it out? To replace the swaybar that is?
Potentially I guess you could, but to lower the diff without damaging half shafts, would be difficult? Removing the half shafts gives you more room for clearing and inserting the swaybar.

Always keen to hear of better ways. If you come up with a better way, please let us know.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well done Stu
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
12slots4ever

Many, many thanks to AU11LTD, I'm old school and used to pulling axel out and smashing bearing off with a hammer and rag and press it all back on. Also thanks to Macka for pointing me in the right direction to the info WITH pictures. Thank you again men!!
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
12slots4ever

Hi guys, I've removed the rear disc assembly so that I can change out the hub & bearing on my AU 2 XR8 and can not get the hub and backing plate apart from each other. I am at a bit of a loss, I seen a video on the front hub & that had a circlip at the back of the bearing but no such thing on the rear, not that I can see. Any suggestions PLEASE. George
Old 30-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have sent a PM to auIILTD so that when he comes on he will come here and give you some help
Sorry but I have never had to do one of these so I don't know. Hang in there
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slots4ever View Post
Hi guys, I've removed the rear disc assembly so that I can change out the hub & bearing on my AU 2 XR8 and can not get the hub and backing plate apart from each other. I am at a bit of a loss, I seen a video on the front hub & that had a circlip at the back of the bearing but no such thing on the rear, not that I can see. Any suggestions PLEASE. George
Thanks Shayne.

George, they will need to be pressed apart. On the inner side is a circlip that has to be removed and then you can actually press the hub out. Good luck. My mate and I used a 6T press with mixed results. Luckily the one we needed separated worked well, but getting the hub out of another (provided by Shayne btw), we were not so successful. We could get the hub out, but not the bearing.

Here is a pic of the inner after I experienced a failure (you can see the circlip). Inner hub presses out from this side, bearing presses out from the outer side (once circlip removed).

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
I have sent a PM to auIILTD so that when he comes on he will come here and give you some help
Sorry but I have never had to do one of these so I don't know. Hang in there
Cheers Shayne.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Last edited by auIILTD; 30-09-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 30-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
12slots4ever

Thanks to both of you!!! So there is a circlip behind the bearing!! The videos I've seen didn't show a clip except on the front. I should be able to move forward now! Thank you again. George
Old 30-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Circlip is on the inner side George (axle side). The bearing is then pressed out from the outside.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250