Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Default AU Steering wheel swap, Air-Bag concerns

I'm thing of changing my steering wheel
from standard to TickFord,

Is there a certain procedure in removing the wheel & disconnecting / re-connecting the Airbag?

Cheers,
Tim.

Aftermarket Reverse camera & DVD player through front monitor, 12" sub
Upgrade Alarm: glass, shock & tilt sensor
AU2V8wgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Pol
Polnamos Karnew

Yep. Disconnect the battery and wait for 5 minutes. Then undo the torx plus screws at the side of the steering wheel, pull the air bag up and disconnect all wiring under the airbag. Then you need a big torx bit to undo the steering wheel. Pull the wheel off be pulling back and rocking the wheel - careful it doesn't hit you in the face. You then need to undo the screws holding the backing and buttons on. Fitting the new wheel is the reverse of removal. I got this method from JCXR8 a while ago from the old forums and it works for AUs and BAs.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
buickman
buickman

It a pretty easy job. But make sure your wheels a straight. Just disconnect the battery and make sure you have the special airbag to remove the airbag (2 bolts at the side) removal tool unscrew the steering controls & will need a large allen key for the center hub. Give the wheel a decent pull from side to side & it should come of. Then reversal & reattach battery. No more than about 20 minutes
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Davo3460

no need to disconnect the battery just pull the fuse
and u will need a steering wheel puller
Davo3460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
Pol
Polnamos Karnew

Disconnecting the battery is the safe way. I know someone who has done it and forgot to disconnect the battery, and there were no dramas at all. You do not NEED a steering wheel puller. You just need some strength, though a puller would make the job easier.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol
Disconnecting the battery is the safe way. I know someone who has done it and forgot to disconnect the battery, and there were no dramas at all. You do not NEED a steering wheel puller. You just need some strength, though a puller would make the job easier.
Where was this post 4 months ago! I got Ford to do it. Cost me $65 but was happy because they fixed up a factory recall.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I NEEDED a steering wheel puller ... because 3 guys couldn't get the steering wheel off ... not even with the help of a rubber mallet either ... just over an hour of swearing and bashing till I could get my hands on a steering wheel puller ... then it took about 15 minutes to get the standard steering wheel off.

So it's not a case on not NEEDING .... it may just be the case they you MIGHT need one ... it's handy to have one close by ... just in case.

Plus my mate who did the swap for me ... didn't disconnect the battery either .... or the fuse ... as long as you keep the keys out of the ignition and are careful disconnecting the connectors of the airbag ... helps when your mate did his apprencetice mechanics through Ford ... he's done plenty of them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
buickman
buickman

Mine came off within a few seconds of hard pulling from side to side.( maybe because of weight training since 1978) seriously they all must be different to get off.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Mine came off within a few seconds of hard pulling from side to side.( maybe because of weight training since 1978) seriously they all must be different to get off.
Tried that .... actually a few of us tried that.
More swearing ... LMAO
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
SIKSIX
Its gone V

all i did was got a (suicidal) screwdriver banged the pin inside the head of the torx bolt then used an ordanary bigger screw driver. then a allen key to get the wheel bolt off, if its stuck get one guy to pull on it, and the other to hit the bolt with a hammer, came out for me like that. alos WD40 works wonders (i love that stuff)
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Thanks guys!
Aftermarket Reverse camera & DVD player through front monitor, 12" sub
Upgrade Alarm: glass, shock & tilt sensor
AU2V8wgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post