Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
IanC

Default Mondeo depreciation

Looking at 2 year old station wagons, the redbook value on a Mondeo was around $10,000 less than for a Mazda 6 or a Hyundai i40. New prices on the base models were about the same but the Ford seems to be worth much less second hand. How come? Whats wrong with the Mondeo?

It was the same with the Falcons for years and I have run a second hand Falcon for 10 years with few problems. Are the petrol Mondeos dogs that every one avoids? Are the Jap and Korean cars that much better?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Looking at 2 year old station wagons, the redbook value on a Mondeo was around $10,000 less than for a Mazda 6 or a Hyundai i40. New prices on the base models were about the same but the Ford seems to be worth much less second hand. How come? Whats wrong with the Mondeo?

It was the same with the Falcons for years and I have run a second hand Falcon for 10 years with few problems. Are the petrol Mondeos dogs that every one avoids? Are the Jap and Korean cars that much better?
Used cars are different market , cars sell on reputation and something like long standing model (Mazda 6/626) will have had built a loyal following . So those are in higher demand and command higher prices . Sometimes reputation can be wrong for a particular car - for example Magnas had horrific reputation but were good cars . That's why Magnas were a great bargain in used market.
Mondeo was never a big seller and resale struggles a bit - I think it might be a good used buy , you will still get remainder of factory warranty .
Also remember , Redbook is just a guide.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 16-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had an MA Mondeo for about 5 years and were very pleased with how it went and how it lasted. I sold it privately to get as much as I could for it as it was worth sfa as a trade in.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Binny

I think some people see the word Powershift and avoid it like the plague. The dodgy dry clutch powershift in the focus and fiesta is hurting more than just sales of those vehicles. Even though the Mondeo one is different and doesn't have the same issues it has the same name on it.
I think used Mondeos are a bargain.
Old 16-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at Mondeos when looking for a new car. They were a bit much, and I ended up with a Falcon. The new Mondeo is a lot swisher than the old, so i wonder if that is effecting the prices now.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a low volume seller with no big following in Australia.
If you're planning to keep it for a long time, then its an excellent choice 2nd hand.
Old 16-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It's a low volume seller with no big following in Australia.
If you're planning to keep it for a long time, then its an excellent choice 2nd hand.
Large Fords don't seem to keep their value. The Falcons have a much lower resale than Commodores also. The Mondeos have low resale values in the UK too and are seen as being a fleet vehicle with few private buyers. In the UK buyers demand and get large discounts on new Mondeos which doesn't help the resale values of second hand ones.

I think you are right Dazz about the value of buying one second hand to keep in the long term. I usually buy an 18 month old vehicle and look to keep it 12 to 15 years. It makes for cheap motoring.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Ringo
I see you....

I work in vehicle leasing where the resale value of a car plays a big part in calculating leasing costs to customers.

Cars that costs the same about to buy can have dramatically different running costs and resale values and thus leasing costs.

Used car values are determined by supply and demand mostly and demand is very badge based.

Non car people know some cars and that they is what they hunt for so Corolla for instances are extremely easy to sell for good money second hand…everyone knows them, they are reliable etc

Another common rule is that if its popular as a new car to private buyers it will be popular as a used car and thus have a good resale value -think Mazda, think SUV’s, think 4x4 Utes.

Mondeo’s are not popular as a new car and underappreciated in many ways so absolutely make for a used car bargain.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Same with the I30 vs Focus. Compare them on the used market and the I30 can be several thousand more than the Focus of the same age and km.

Often, the I30 had a lower new price compared to the Focus.

Used I30 and I40's hold their value very, very well.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
b2428

Trust me I feel the pain of shocking depreciation. I have a 2008 ma that had lost 12000 in the first 2 years that I had owned it. Bought it with 38000kms on it and went to off load it and was really shocked. The answer I got was due to it being a diesel as a trade Noone wants to touch them.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an ex fleet 2012 Zetec Ecoboost hatch at auction last year.It had 25000 kms on it and I paid $15000 for it.In 18 months that's a pretty big tear up.
On the upside,I think it's the best car I've owned and if I wanted to sell it today I would probably get my money back. The basic petrol models are best avoided because they are pretty unpopular once they leave their first owner.
Old 20-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a bog standard MA Zetec (NA Petrol) Hatch.
Was OK.
Aircond never worked from day 1 (Make sure you test it before buying, common complaint of early ones)
Drivers interior door trim started to peel off and the faux chrome on some of the buttons bubbled.
The fuel gauge sensor failed so I ran out of fuel once, coz of the funny self sealing cap thing I couldn't fill it from a funnel and it had to be towed. Battery died after 5 years and triggered the engine immobiliser and it got towed again.. $600 later the ford dealer got it going.

Other than that I put 230,000 KM on it and it was reliable enough.
Bought it new for about 30, sold it for about 7..... Mind you it was 7 years old and showed its miles were done hard....
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Had a bog standard MA Zetec (NA Petrol) Hatch.
Was OK.
Aircond never worked from day 1 (Make sure you test it before buying, common complaint of early ones)
Drivers interior door trim started to peel off and the faux chrome on some of the buttons bubbled.
The fuel gauge sensor failed so I ran out of fuel once, coz of the funny self sealing cap thing I couldn't fill it from a funnel and it had to be towed. Battery died after 5 years and triggered the engine immobiliser and it got towed again.. $600 later the ford dealer got it going.

Other than that I put 230,000 KM on it and it was reliable enough.
Bought it new for about 30, sold it for about 7..... Mind you it was 7 years old and showed its miles were done hard....
The car should've come with a special funnel that will fit through so you're able to fill it if you're ever in that situation. I'm guessing you didn't get one?
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think european cars have another mark against them also as far as parts availability too, we have heard many horror storys on various model imports, fords included with blokes waiting yonks for parts that should really be available in days , not weeks or months.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #15
esppwr

Mondeo's don't have a great reputation for reliability or low running costs and don't have any standout features, style or capability. Hence they struggle to attract private buyers.
Most are sold as heavily discounted fleet vehicles, then when the lease is up it's a case of supply v demand.
Australian manufactured cars had similar resale issues when they were preferred by fleet companies. Now that mostly imported cars are preferred by fleet companies, Aus manufactured cars resale values have improved.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post