Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #61
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Road expert says why we need faster speed limits

this thread is starting to sound like a pro govco rant...

no one is good enough to drive past 110,, except "ME"..hence the current limit.
has anyone thought that people drive the way they do because of the draconian laws?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #62
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

We need faster speed limits along overtaking sections on two way roads.

For instance Lancefield Rd between Sunbury Rd and Lancefield is a 100kph two way road which is undulating in places so overtaking opportunities are limited with some bends and dips which have caused fatalities over the years.

A couple of years ago they put in two sections of divided and overtaking lanes to allow vehicles safely overtake the slower drivers who cause queues of traffic behind them. But I have found that just about all these slower drivers accelerate to 100kph when they reach the overtaking section, then slow down again when it goes back to a two way road. I kid you not, they do this every time.

Result is that drivers cannot legally pass these slower vehicles in the overtaking sections. Which negates the value of these overtaking sections.

Speeds in these sections (which are divided with two lanes each way, so safe to travel at faster speeds) should be raised to at least 120kph, preferably 130kph for overtaking vehicles only. Otherwise drivers will continue risking head on collisions in the two way sections.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #63
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
But I have found that just about all these slower drivers accelerate to 100kph when they reach the overtaking section, then slow down again when it goes back to a two way road. I kid you not, they do this every time.
Same applies everywhere

Its the Mr Magoo factor, the road is wider, they feel safer and in turn feel more confident so drive faster !

(Or they just plain outright don't like being overtaken.....)

-Add Heathcote rd overtaking lanes to the list-
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #64
tonys6550

[QUOTE=Silver Ghia;5434122 But I have found that just about all these slower drivers accelerate to 100kph when they reach the overtaking section, then slow down again when it goes back to a two way road. I kid you not, they do this every time.

Haha, How true.

This is one of the most frustrating phenomenon's that happen on our roads all the time.

People that do this, either intentionally or not are just downright dangerous. This forces responsible road users to take unnecessary risks
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #65
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Three points:
Firstly, the assigning of speed limits is extremely inconsistent. Approaching the metro area from the south (country) on the "freeway" the limit is 110, till you get to the start of the street lights, and then the limit DROPS to 100. On a well lit dual-carriageway, yet some unsealed goat track in the bush is still 110.

Secondly, it seems the derivation of these speed limits is very arbitrary and historical. The open speed limit in WA has been 110 since we went metric, including on the many unsealed (or one-lane sealed) "highways" that were around back then.
The roads, cars, and driver training have all improved, but that number stays the same. Why?
I'm not necessarily saying it should be increased, only that there should be some attempt at rational scientific derivation, rather than simply picking a number and sticking with it.

This may sound a bit asinine, but it has long been acknowledged that the biggest problem on WA's long country highways is driver fatigue and/or inattention. So surely if we can SAFELY decrease the duration of journey, that's a good thing?
2 users like this post: