Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
Dash6

Default GTP's and tall drivers

Hi all, looking for some feedback from taller drivers of manual GTP's, B series in particular.
I've got my GTP up for sale at the moment and have had 2 potential buyers (both approx 6'2 as claimed by one) and have both struggled with the clearance between the steering wheel and the left leg when operating the clutch.
Personally its not an issue for me as I'm short with short legs.
The issue the potential buyers had were they felt the front of the seat sat to high and couldn't drop it any lower using the seat controls on the side.
Do any taller manual GTP drivers out there have this same issue or methods to drop the seat height?

Cheers
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

SOLD - 2006 BF 1 GT-P in Mercury Silver
Manual
Dash6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GTP's and tall drivers

Same applies to any manual BA/BF/FG i've ever driven. I drop the seat to its lowest the pull the steering wheel all the way out from the dash to get max leg clearance and i'm 6'.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I have a BF GT 6 spd manual and I'm 6'3 - no issues for me.

As said, I put the seat to it's lowest position and have the steering wheel pulled right out & as high as it will go.

I find it quite comfortable to drive?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Im a shortass and the BA/FG series seating position is great for me. In the commodores I has (VY SS etc), i struggled to fully press the clutch.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
scottyg938
Stock Boss

I'm 6ft and have no issues with my manual BA or any of the manual/auto FG's I've driven at all.
only issue I have sometimes is if I don't get in right I get a little jammed with my thigh between the wheel and seat

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT-P's have higher seats than other Falcons. I'm not tall but struggle to get comfy in my GT-P compared to my BF wagon.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
boss310
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a tad under 6'6" and find them very uncomfortable, the brother has a grange that fits me well, so I think there is a little in the driving position FoMoCo have bestowed upon us. In the GT my wide **** sits on top of the seats' side bolstering, the GTP looks like it would be a tighter fit again to me.
boss310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Dash6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Same applies to any manual BA/BF/FG i've ever driven. I drop the seat to its lowest the pull the steering wheel all the way out from the dash to get max leg clearance and i'm 6'.
Thanks, didn't think to pull the steering wheel away from the dash, only had it set as far up as it would go.
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

Manual
Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Dash6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
GT-P's have higher seats than other Falcons. I'm not tall but struggle to get comfy in my GT-P compared to my BF wagon.
Thanks, this is exactly what effected one potential buyer, he got out of his BA XR8 manual never having the clearance issue and then found the clearance issue in the GTP.
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

Manual
Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
66 STANG

I had GTP seats in my BAII Super Pursuit Ute, and had to swap them out for XR6 seats for the 5 years I owned it. I couldn't even see the traffic lights without leaning forward in the seat. The GTP seats were very uncomfortable to climb in and out of too...... I'm 6'4" as well....
The standard "GT" seats are much better imo.
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The other issue if the steering wheel is not pulled all the way back and the seat moved further back accordingly, is that the gearshift will probably be too far back.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BF GT 6 speed manual, 6'2" no issues at all.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every Falcon seat is too high. Ford had no concept of sitting in a car, they decided everybody had to sit on it. Clueless!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
Trump
bitch lasagne

Whilst I was comfortable behind the wheel in my FG, clutch actuations were by side stepping as my leg would hit the steering wheel, even at its highest and with the seat at its lowest. As a result, I always felt I was sitting on the seat and not in the seat.

Consequently, the GT-P seat whilst fantastic, was a non-starter for me in manual guise.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Its the GT-P, the seats sit higher than the GT.

I'm 6'5" and 75kg (skinny as) when i sit properly (not "gangsta" style) my head is about 2cm from the roof and i can't engage the clutch properly, even with the steering wheel out and up. This is the reason i ended up buying my old clubsport instead of a BF GT-P.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #16
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Isn't it interesting how some swear by fords crappy seating position....while plenty of both short and very tall have Zero problems. (Me included) yet people like my wife hop in a HSV and being short can't see a thing out of it.

So what's worse.....some people being slightly uncomfortable.....or a dangerous potentially life threatening seating position?

Oh and for everyone who missed it....awhile ago I did a thread comparing physical measurements between falcon and commadore seating and vision. While in the ford, there is deffinately less room between the seat and steering wheel base....it seems that it's also a huge "perception" of sitting lower when in the commadore, as the dash and window sill are higher then the fords, but the A pillar is fatter and the window opening is smaller as well. All leading to a feeling of sitting lower and "in" the car.
Hence why most people who never drive both will not feel the ford sits too high!
(And there's why the media,who often drive both, always bang on about it....but have you ever heard them mention the vision obstruction?)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
(And there's why the media,who often drive both, always bang on about it....but have you ever heard them mention the vision obstruction?)
One of the biggest discussed negatives and most complained about faults in the VE Commodore in reviews and from owners was the sight restrictions caused by the thick A Pillars.

Seeing entering traffic when negotiating a roundabout was a matter of crossing your fingers for luck and hope for the best.

I don’t know where you were hiding while those complaints were doing the rounds for about 6 years.

It eventually lost motion when other cars started to appear with similar problems due to their front and side curtain airbags.

I’m a short fellow, short enough where I never have a problem with leg space in the Fords and at the same time I can adjust the height of a seat in a Commodore to not only easily see over the doors sills, dash and steering wheel but to the point where I feel like I’m in an SUV and have to take care not to hit my head on the sunroof surrounds.

Your arguments when addressing Fords faults would be stronger if you didn’t need to make up or drawn on the faults of other vehicles to justify the existence of Ford’s shoddy design.

The constraint bombardment of Holden is a sad indication of someone bordering on dimwittedness.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit off topic but i Used to have the same issue with the 80s falcons and ltds, also 98 longreach ute.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #19
Full_Monty

6'5 and coudn't drive a manual in BA-BF, and even worse in the FG. Test drove a few, including the so called improved FGX seating position

steering wheel is in your lap, and your left leg gets crammed between the centre console and wheel when actuating the clutch.
the frustrating thing is the gap between the wheel column and dash at the highest position appears it could have gone up another 2 inches, and the seat has room underneath to go lower...
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
One of the biggest discussed negatives and most complained about faults in the VE Commodore in reviews and from owners was the sight restrictions caused by the thick A Pillars.

Seeing entering traffic when negotiating a roundabout was a matter of crossing your fingers for luck and hope for the best.

I don’t know where you were hiding while those complaints were doing the rounds for about 6 years.
Maybe you should check my post history. I'm well aware and have made plenty of comments on Ve-VF vision issues. Not much changed in that regard from Ve-VF so the vision issue is still a valid issue. The current models are what I was actually referring too and they've been out for years.
So Have you heard them complain about the poor vision recently Or is it just the poor seating position of the fords? (Rhetorical questions)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #21
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends how big your *** is too. Someone that's 6'3 and skinny vs someone that's 6'3 and has a Linebacker bubble-butt...generally they will sit higher.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post