Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #31
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: Car defects

Seriously though...
Make sure nothing is broken,rusty,all lights working,tyres all good tread,no illegal mods,just go over your car and check everything works,make sure nothing stands out to you, because if it stands out when it shouldnt coppers may pull you over.
If you are obeying the law and nothing makes your car stand out coppers will usually leave you alone.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #32
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Just dont drive a pos.. and you wont have any trouble.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
What is a list of things that police would fine wrong at a rbt stop can't seem to find a list anywhere
It would have to be an obvious defect to get their attention such as worn tyres, broken body parts, a headlight or tail light not working or the car looking in bad condition.

Overall if your car looks neat & tidy most likely they will leave you alone.
If you happen to have a blown light or minor defect then most cases they can give you a warning to get it fixed asap without giving you a defect notice, depends on how the police determines the fault.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #34
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Years back I got defected for having a cracked rego label on the windscreen.

The label had been fitted by the dealership at the time I bought the car and they hadn’t removed the gum backing properly and as it dried the label wrinkled and cracked in a crow’s foot pattern.

I couldn’t be bothered getting a replacement as I was happy to wait until renewal time.

It probably doesn’t matter now as most States no longer use labels.

Why I got pulled up in the first place is a whole other story.

So was the need to swap out the exhaust and a range of other things to get the yellow canary removed.

Though no complaints from me, I got what I deserved with an 18 years old's “king of the road” attitude. I learnt a good lesson, think before you act.

Since then I haven’t been pulled over in more than 30 years and my taste in cars and mods haven’t changed, even to the point where the Cops have pulled up beside me, looked the car up and down and drove off without even questioning a full polished cage with no padded protection.

So believe what others have said, the way you drive is the first thing they'll focus on, your attitude after that will determine how hard they’ll be and if the car appears well looked after you could be lucky and they’ll most likely do a cursory inspection and move on.

What State are you in?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #35
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Girlfriend got a defect for an empty washer bottle.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most obvious things imo are wheels and tyres and exhaust being too loud, wheels being too wide or wrong size will get an officers attention, a noisy exhaust will do the same , and the generally the first thing the officer glances at once your pulled up is anything that catches the eye that is non standard, big scoops, tinted lights/windows, and a quick glance at the tread is always good for canary.
usually the illegal stuff that stands out like a dogs cathedral falls point to a young buck playing with his car, hence why young bucks get pulled over at 3 times the rate of anyone else in the community.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #37
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest one, REGISTRATION !!!

You see half of those cars on the side of the road where the booze bus is, they weren't DUI, their registration had expired !!!

Government plan, ditch rego stickers=save money, people forget to pay when due= fines (just like your electricity email bill).

Oh, back on topic, they check Rego and registered owners details via computer often do a drivers licence check, and a cursory walk around for lights out and bald tyres.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #38
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another small tip...if they're going to be really **** about it, they'll find things you never even considered.
I once took a Gemini in for a roadworthy as I was selling it, and things it failed on were stuff like:
* Carpet under the accelerator pedal was worn...not "worn through" just the thin pile worn down to the fabric backing.
* A couple of small...20mm long...tear in the folds of the vinyl drivers seat.
* Two minuscule chips in the windscreen...as they were in front of the driver just above the wiper blade it was classed as "a defect".
* A couple of ridiculously small oil leaks, two at the sump and one at the diff.

I took it to another mechanic and he only mentioned the sump oil leak.

Different mechanics can give vastly different reports...sometimes it's a matter of trying a couple of different shops...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: