Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #31
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Demand for e-gas, as well as enquiries on how it will benifit customers has gone up.

A typical example is a customer of mine that usually buys 4cyl Hilux cab chassis utes, bought a Falcon XL C/C e-gas ute, and will replace all their Hilux's with e-gas XL utes. His first one was ordered in October, and arrived in early January (Dec/05 build).
That is good. I spoke to one of the Ford engineers recently who told me that Ford Australia is building almost 100 cars per day fitted with the E-gas engine. 12 months ago this figure was only approximately 20 per day.

With this increased demand, what is the lead time for ordering an E-gas equipped car? I heard that dealers don't usually hold these vehicles in stock so they are only built to order.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ford should offer dual fuel like Holden does. Holden had 400 sales a month planned for dual fuel dunnydores but sales are up and from March 1800 a month or to be built.
Cars Guide 01/02/2006
Monthly sales vary each month. I'd be more worried with the fact that sales were down 25% this time last year. The Territory is the only Australian manufactured vehicle that is actually makes a profit. The Falcon breaks even and I believe that the Commodore is losing money at the moment because of their heavy discounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Focus - 1,333 (1,122)

FF

The Focus is getting better and better. This car is a money maker for Ford but the problem is they cant get enough of them in the country.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #33
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The Focus is getting better and better. This car is a money maker for Ford but the problem is they cant get enough of them in the country.
That problem should ease ever so slightly when Ford Australia takes NZ's allocation of SA sourced Focus's - thats not much, but it should help. NZ should be switching to the German built cars very soon.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #34
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vztrt - how about avalon, camry and 380 - ok obviously 380 is probably very red, but I would be surprised if camry was having problems?
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
vztrt - how about avalon, camry and 380 - ok obviously 380 is probably very red, but I would be surprised if camry was having problems?
If the Camry and the Avalon are making a profit than it's only due to the car being exported cause there is no way the car is making money in Australia, it dosn't sell enough units. I'd just want to know after the expense of design, building the car and than exporting the vehicles how much do Toyota make on each unit since the Aussie doller went up from 49c US to 75c US?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #36
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Monthly sales vary each month. I'd be more worried with the fact that sales were down 25% this time last year. The Territory is the only Australian manufactured vehicle that is actually makes a profit. The Falcon breaks even and I believe that the Commodore is losing money at the moment because of their heavy discounting.
'll be interested to see the the 2005 profit/loss figures for the local four manufacturers when they are revealed about April this year. Ford Australia's performance in recent years is as follows:

2004 - $185.6 million profit - article
2003 - $155 million profit - article
2002 - $20.4 million profit - article
2001 - $5.5 million loss - article
2000 - $16.1 million loss
1999 - $82.3 million profit - article
1998 - $58 million profit
1997 - $180 million profit - article

FF
Old 04-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #37
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If the Camry and the Avalon are making a profit than it's only due to the car being exported cause there is no way the car is making money in Australia, it dosn't sell enough units. I'd just want to know after the expense of design, building the car and than exporting the vehicles how much do Toyota make on each unit since the Aussie doller went up from 49c US to 75c US?
Toyota Australia isn't exporting directly to the US so the value of the $US vs $AUS isn't really of much significance. Plus the Camry is a true global car, and the biggest selling car in the US - costs relating to design and future development of the car are shared.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #38
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still no numbers on FPV vs HSV figures for Jan?
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #39
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spokeman from Mitsubishi have said they have expected the 380 to sell slow but are expecting to sell 1200 a month from April.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #40
cupic
Nikon

fair enough petrol prices are high

but safety and comfort still rules and corolla dont cut for me
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #41
RATT

Quote:
That is good. I spoke to one of the Ford engineers recently who told me that Ford Australia is building almost 100 cars per day fitted with the E-gas engine. 12 months ago this figure was only approximately 20 per day.

With this increased demand, what is the lead time for ordering an E-gas equipped car? I heard that dealers don't usually hold these vehicles in stock so they are only built to order.

FF
Certainly good. As is NRMA's decision to replace existing roadside assistance utes with e-gas Falcon XL utes (in NSW atleast).

Regarding Focus sales, when it was launched supply was a big issue hence the low volume compared to Corolla etc. Mazda had the same problem with the 3, but look at it now. Consistantly it sells over 2000 units a month. Focus has this potential as well and should do so so long as supply is there.

Fiesta is now a much better value car and it should also do better this year.

I just hope Falcon passenger/ commercial vehicles and Territory pick up again. Their decline is not just the result of fuel prices. 15yrs ago a Focus sized hatch/sedan was priced in the low $20's, while Falcon was generally mid $20's onwards so the gap was small, hence why Falcon sold well back then. Now the gap is atleast $10000 at the retail price level, and at the same time small cars have grown in size as well without being anymore expensive than 15 years ago, not to mention air cond. , airbags, CD player etc being standard as well.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #42
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Still no numbers on FPV vs HSV figures for Jan?
That also annoys me that neither company issue monthly sales numbers.

FF
Old 04-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
'll be interested to see the the 2005 profit/loss figures for the local four manufacturers when they are revealed about April this year. Ford Australia's performance in recent years is as follows:

2004 - $185.6 million profit - article
2003 - $155 million profit - article
2002 - $20.4 million profit - article
2001 - $5.5 million loss - article
2000 - $16.1 million loss
1999 - $82.3 million profit - article
1998 - $58 million profit
1997 - $180 million profit - article

FF

Globally Ford made a profit of 2 billion dollars and the Asia Pacific region made a profit.

Quote:
That also annoys me that neither company issue monthly sales numbers.

FF
I dont know about HSV but technically FPV isn't a Ford company as 51% is owned by Prodrive.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #44
Falcon Freak
Banned

The FCAI have revised the vfacts reports this year. One new interesting feature is fuel type category for passenger. SUV and light commercial vehicles (they don't specify fuel type for heavy commercial vehicles. As this segment only accounts for approximately 2% of all sales it shouldn't have a large influence on the overall figures).

For January 2006 the fuel types were as follows:

Petrol - 59,777 (87.5%)
Diesel - 7,736 (11.4%)
LPG - 671 (1.0%)
Hybrid - 100 (0.1%)

Total - 68,284

For January 2005 the numbers were as follows:

Petrol - 60,637 (89.1%)
Diesel - 6,862 (10.1%)
LPG - 376 (0.6%)
Hybrid - 128 (0.2%)

Total - 68,003

It can be seen that the majority of vehicles still use petrol engines. It can also be seen that there has been a small move away from petrol to other fuels with diesel absorbing the most of this movement. It will be interesting to track this during the year if crude oil prices remain high or continue to increase.

The only item which is not clear to me with this new feature is how do the FCAI classify duel fuel vehicles?

FF
Old 05-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #45
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I think the large car segment of the Aussie car market just going to get worst unless price comes down.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #46
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought vfacts was alos going to include a breakdown between fleet and private sales this year per vehicle.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #47
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I thought vfacts was alos going to include a breakdown between fleet and private sales this year per vehicle.
They always have, it just depends what reports you get.

You can even look at what variants (eg. XR6s) are sold in certain post codes, break things down by certain features, gearboxes, etc.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #48
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
How many people actually read these views? And most that to probably take them for a grain of salt anyway. I don't disagree with the BF being judged ahead of the VZ in some areas, I just think the difference is not as large as it is made out to be.

I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with it at all, it is more of a perception that anything else. For people that are after a large sedan with value for money, Holden and Ford are the first choice. I doubt that what you are implying even crosses most Commodore buyers minds..
I think what it comes down to is many satisfied Commodore owners coming back to buy another one when it's time to upgrade.
Nah, I think it might have more to do with the massive discounts Holden are offering at the moment. We might see a shift when the VE comes out as Holden won't be at the end of the platform cycle and will thus not be able to discount as much. Ford can't discount on the BF at the moment because they have to recoup their costs on the BF upgrade, as well as they are a new customer to ZF, and are unlikely to receive serious discounts. Perhaps on the BF2 when they make the ZF standard across more of the range ZF may give them a better discount based on volume, and allow a little wiggle room in pricing and or equipment.

Holden will be in the same position in terms of pricing as ford is now once the VE comes out; that is they won't have much room for discounts.

I should add that you can say what you like about Holden and Ford, but at the end of the day they are businesses and as such will pull out all the stops to sell the superseded model/s. Holden marketing are very clever, as they have tapped into the patriotic emotion and have also bombarded the media with advertising. Maybe ford should take a lesson here from the obvious professionals at marketing.

Quote: