Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
12slots4ever

Default AU s11 XR8 steering play

My s11 AU xR8 has very light steering with about 1.5 inches loose play which isn't a problem until traffic gets tight & lanes narrower. Yesterday I drove my mates BA XR6 & clocked 320kms. I found the BA steering to be firm with no play at all and not being used to the tightness of the steering, it felt quite strange. Is my AU steering too loose or is my mates XR6 too tight?? Thanks for reading. George.

12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: AU s11 XR8 steering play

With so many components between steering wheel & tyres there's bound to be a bit of play.

I'd suggest raising the car, get a mate to jiggle the steering wheel while you look underneath. Observe the rack & column link rod + uni's, tie rod ends, ball joints. Also while the car is raised check front wheel bearings for play.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If theres play before the wheels turn its probably the intermediate shaft between the column and rack. They wear a lot faster on the v8 due to going through the exhaust manifold.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO247 View Post
If theres play before the wheels turn its probably the intermediate shaft between the column and rack. They wear a lot faster on the v8 due to going through the exhaust manifold.
My money is on this.
The rubber lets go, leaving it moving side to side against the pin.

They're not available new any more.

They can be welded, and they become better than new, but technically it's not legal to weld any steering component...

Last edited by Sox; 05-11-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Intermediate shaft for sure, just had to do mine in the ltd and its only 152xxxkm.

Id just go find a good second hand one for now. No reason you couldnt use an i6, shaft is just narrower in dia.

Mine was play on all pins on the uni joint.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yep that's what it will be. As a side note, if the car has had extractors fitted just make sure they put it back together the right way. Ive seen one with heaps of free play and it was because the shaft was refitted upside down
Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Intermediate shaft for sure, just had to do mine in the ltd and its only 152xxxkm.

Id just go find a good second hand one for now. No reason you couldnt use an i6, shaft is just narrower in dia.
They're identical except for the V8 ones are wrapped in heat shield and have a bell on the end.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
They're identical except for the V8 ones are wrapped in heat shield and have a bell on the end.
There you go, what do you mean bell?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Yep that's what it will be. As a side note, if the car has had extractors fitted just make sure they put it back together the right way. Ive seen one with heaps of free play and it was because the shaft was refitted upside down
It's not possible, one end is male spline, the other is female.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
There you go, what do you mean bell?
It's a heat shield which looks like a bell.
I reckon it likely holds more heat in.

Edit - Like this -

3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah i know what you mean, my i6 had one, but had it removed because it fouled on the comp pacies when i installed them.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
T MAN

a long shot, but check the bolts on the intermediate shaft.. mine were not as tight as they could be and I had 1/4" play in the steering wheel until I nipped the bolts up..
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
BillC

just did mine on the xr8 and now it steers like a new car. I got a new one from ebay for about $540. genuine ford new
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
Mostert
Weirdotittyfuk

Cool Re: AU s11 XR8 steering play

I removed the bell separated the lower yolk from the shaft drilled the holes that located the pin to a size that would tightly locate I think it was a 5/16 bolt 3to4inch long so no tread in side cut ends of bolt off tac weld one end and refit bell works perfect no vibration through wheel as rubber still inplace
Mostert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #15
Arch
Starter Motor

I know this is an old thread however someone might read it.
I dropped the cross member to replace engine mounts and when I put the little screw back in he intermediate shaft I put it in back to front.
The shaft was still held in place but it could not compress around the power steering shaft and ended up with free play.
Make sure the screw goes through the hole and meets the threaded part on the other side otherwise you will have an instant 2 or more centimetres of free play.
Hope someone can learn from my mistakes.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #16
AUwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
I know this is an old thread however someone might read it.
I dropped the cross member to replace engine mounts and when I put the little screw back in he intermediate shaft I put it in back to front.
The shaft was still held in place but it could not compress around the power steering shaft and ended up with free play.
Make sure the screw goes through the hole and meets the threaded part on the other side otherwise you will have an instant 2 or more centimetres of free play.
Hope someone can learn from my mistakes.
The bolts can only go in one way right, because one side of the joint isn't threaded! so your bolt had entered the threaded side first, yeah that'll create some excess steering movement

as for the shafts, yeah they wear on the lower joint where it's pinned on to the shaft, unless really badly worn, its not really a safety issue

there will be people now reading this thread steering clear of AU falcons all AU-BA owners, check the tightness of the bolts on the top ball joint bolts which keep them in place in the stub axle
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post