Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Shaddolf

Default Quick insurance question

Ok so my gf crashed my car last week and its looking like a write off.

Now the car was registered in my dad's name as I was under 25 when I bought it and that way was cheaper to insure. Now that I am over 25 if it is written off I will buy a new car but in my name this time.

So when it comes to insurance, I have nothing to declare right? My gf crashed it, my dad owned it – nothing blows back on me yeah? Full no claim discount? I have been a listed driver on a policy for 7 years now. She is buying her own car and won't be listed on my new policy as she is 24 and shouldn't have a need to drive it anyway.

Shaddolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Quick insurance question

Mate best advice I can give you is remove this post. If you owned said car and insured it in your dads name and let your girlfriend drive it and subsequently wrote it off you have committed fraud on the insurance company. Just get your dad to make a claim and shut up talking about it.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Depends.

On my policies I ticked a box to say no one under 30 will drive my car - for a modest discount of course. Some policies will ask for a higher excess if you are undeclared, or under a certain age. (This is in regards to if insurance will pay out).

As for your NCB - I believe you may be correct, seeing as you were not driving and the driver who crashed is known and admitted to the accident then I think you will be ok.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Shaddolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Mate best advice I can give you is remove this post. If you owned said car and insured it in your dads name and let your girlfriend drive it and subsequently wrote it off you have committed fraud on the insurance company. Just get your dad to make a claim and shut up talking about it.
Not at all - we were both listed as drivers on the policy. My dad paid for the car back when I was 20, nothing dodgy going on.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So who's policy was it? Because they dont ask you whether you've ever had a crash, they ask you whether you've ever made an at fault claim.
Someone having an accident on a policy means a claim was made...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Shaddolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
So who's policy was it? Because they dont ask you whether you've ever had a crash, they ask you whether you've ever made an at fault claim.
Someone having an accident on a policy means a claim was made...
Well its my Dad's policy and we are both listed as drivers. So he is making the claim. This is all kinda happening with me just carrying on as usual (without a car).

If you were listed on someone else's policy and they had an accident, you wouldn't expect your claims history to be affected now would you?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddolf View Post
Not at all - we were both listed as drivers on the policy. My dad paid for the car back when I was 20, nothing dodgy going on.
Oh sorry so its not your car it is your dads car insured in his name but your girlfriend had the accident. Your dad will have to make the claim possibly loose his NCB or part there of. In your OP you said it was your car insured in your dads name totally different senario.
Just be careful what you write and say on public forums as you have duty of disclosure when you apply for insurance plenty of people have "their" cars insured in their parents names and insurance companies are wise to this and can refuse a claim if the correct premium has not been paid.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Well its my Dad's policy and we are both listed as drivers. So he is making the claim. This is all kinda happening with me just carrying on as usual (without a car).

If you were listed on someone else's policy and they had an accident, you wouldn't expect your claims history to be affected now would you?
Your dad will cop a 20% drop in NCB, unless the policy has NCB protection. Your gf should stump up the premium difference for the next 2 years (this is part of the "hidden" cost of a claim).

When you are asked "Have you ever claimed insurance", you can truthfully answer no since you are only listed as a named driver on the policy, and not the policy holder. Your gf will have to declare that she was the driver involved in a claim, even though it was not her insurance to claim on (as part of driving history though, not claim history, I think).

Sad fact is that insurance is usually cheaper for females over 21, and males over 25, so you may just find that you could actually put your gf on your insurance, and the premium should remain the same as if it was only you. Also keep in mind that casual drivers are covered, but if she has another stack in your new car and is not on the policy, and insurance can prove that she was a regular driver then they may elect not to pay since you didn't tell them the truth from the start. Insurance risk is about the type of car, the location, and the regular drivers.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You’re not the registered owner of the car and you didn’t have the accident.
I think that answers your question.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

From the info given you should be fine to start a policy in your name with a clear history. Someone crashed a car you happened to drive, nothing to do with your record.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So when it comes to insurance, I have nothing to declare right? My gf crashed it, my dad owned it – nothing blows back on me yeah? Full no claim discount? I have been a listed driver on a policy for 7 years now.
You may have been a listed driver on the policy, but as you've never actually taken out a policy in your name your next one will be your first and you wont be getting much of a no claim discount, if any.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The questions that the insurance company will ask is.

Have you had any accidents, claims or thefts in the past x years.

Have you had an accident in the past x years, does not matter if you were the owner of the car or insurance policy holder. Have you had an accident even if you did not report it to your insurance company.

Have you had any claims in the last x years. If you own the policy, or made a claim on someone’s policy.

Have you had any thefts in the past x years. Has a car you owned been stolen in the last x years.

If you answer no to all questions then that what you should tell the insurance company.

Most big insurance companies these days will base your policy rating/NCB (No claim bonus) on the number of years you have had your licence, even an accident or two most insurance company will give you a rating 1 for life or NCB for life.

Insurance history means nothing these days for your discounts.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Shaddolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
You may have been a listed driver on the policy, but as you've never actually taken out a policy in your name your next one will be your first and you wont be getting much of a no claim discount, if any.
You sure about that? I was under the impression that if you are a listed driver and drive for 5 years then that counts towards NCB
Old 06-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You sure about that? I was under the impression that if you are a listed driver and drive for 5 years then that counts towards NCB
The thing with NCB is that every insurance company has its own way to work this out. You will find different companies will give you a different NCB.

Most large companies will base it on number of years you have had your licence.

Some companies may ask you about insurance history and base it on your insurance history.

NCB do not really mean anything these days as it is easy to get the highest NCB, after driving for 5 years.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Sometimes the questioning will be (depending on insurer)

have you OR ANYONE WHO REGULARLY DRIVES THE CAR... claimed, had accident and etc.

so if ur gf drives the car regularly u may need to declare this, its all based on how the applicable insurance company asks the questions, as different insurers with different data ask different questions based on their pricing models, So be careful... and if u think they wont find out, u will be surprised what they can find out to get you for non-disclosure. So listen to the questions carefully.

If they asking just about you, you havent had an accident and you havent made a claim as a policy holder, no issues here.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

What has happened has happened.

Regarding getting insured for the new car, it is a smart move to put it in your name. Full disclosure is a must to save later on down the track.

Maybe don't let the GF drive your car anymore.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Your dad will cop a 20% drop in NCB, unless the policy has NCB protection. Your gf should stump up the premium difference for the next 2 years (this is part of the "hidden" cost of a claim).
Slightly off topic.....but you realise NCB protection is a scam...

I have max NCB for life on my policy. I made a claim and they simply upped the premium on the policy by 20%...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
Juan Loco

The information that you must supply to your insurance company relates to anyone who may regularly drive the car. That INCLUDES your GF.
Otherwise here's what happens; you get a cheap premium and merrily pay it for a few years (up to this point it has simply been money down the drain) then your GF has another prang (which is the point at which insurance is MEANT to come in handy) but in your case they will look at her record and deny your claim. The End.

I cannot believe people who think it is so clever to get cheaper car insurance by leaving out important facts. Money paid for insurance premiums is gone, burnt, flushed. You get NOTHING for your money. The only point at which insurance pays off is when you have a claim, so it is the very definition of pointless to throw away money on a policy you can't claim on.

Insurance companies don't make billions of dollars by being gullible fools. As soon as you have a claim with a non-listed driver (or a driver with an undisclosed record whom you are claiming was only an occasional driver) they will put the whole situation under a microscope.
The biggest problem is that you're always arguing uphill with Insurance Companies. When you are claiming, you want them to give you money, and all they have to do is say "no" and you're stymied.

That said, let me make this simple. If you live with your GF and only have one car (even if you do 90% of the driving) then you have to disclose her and her record as a driver.
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
The information that you must supply to your insurance company relates to anyone who may regularly drive the car. That INCLUDES your GF.
Otherwise here's what happens; you get a cheap premium and merrily pay it for a few years (up to this point it has simply been money down the drain) then your GF has another prang (which is the point at which insurance is MEANT to come in handy) but in your case they will look at her record and deny your claim. The End.

I cannot believe people who think it is so clever to get cheaper car insurance by leaving out important facts. Money paid for insurance premiums is gone, burnt, flushed. You get NOTHING for your money. The only point at which insurance pays off is when you have a claim, so it is the very definition of pointless to throw away money on a policy you can't claim on.

Insurance companies don't make billions of dollars by being gullible fools. As soon as you have a claim with a non-listed driver (or a driver with an undisclosed record whom you are claiming was only an occasional driver) they will put the whole situation under a microscope.
The biggest problem is that you're always arguing uphill with Insurance Companies. When you are claiming, you want them to give you money, and all they have to do is say "no" and you're stymied.

That said, let me make this simple. If you live with your GF and only have one car (even if you do 90% of the driving) then you have to disclose her and her record as a driver.
You have read all the replies I assume??? Right???

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post

This is a great reply.

Not many people understand insurance companies. They are not there to deny claims, (as most people think) if they denied claims then they would have no customers, epically the small claims . Most big insurance company have a denial rate of 1% or less of all claims lodged.

It’s a bit more complicated than just a flat out denial. Basically it usually cost the insurance company more to deny a claim, than what it would cost to pay out a claim.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
08G63T

Just to clarify about the No claim bonus, I recently took out a comprehensive policy with NRMA for the car (first in my name - previous was under parents name and I was a listed driver - similar to the OP).

I asked them about protecting the no claim bonus as some companies offer them as an option.
NRMA told me (over the phone and in person) that they don't lower your rating if it's only 1 claim per year policy is held. If I was to make 2 or more claims in a year, the premium would go up the following year and this is where the 'protect your no claim bonus' option comes in handy.
08G63T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post