Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #31
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving in New Zealand

A quick reccomendation for anyone travelling down the noth island, it is definitely worth the stop at the Hamilton classics museum, it is an awesome place to have a look around as they have some cool old cars and an amazing collection of memorabilia, and they also have a 50s themes diner so you can grab some very nice food there too. Info on its where abouts can be found here
http://www.classicsmuseum.co.nz
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
A quick reccomendation for anyone travelling down the noth island, it is definitely worth the stop at the Hamilton classics museum, it is an awesome place to have a look around as they have some cool old cars and an amazing collection of memorabilia, and they also have a 50s themes diner so you can grab some very nice food there too. Info on its where abouts can be found here
http://www.classicsmuseum.co.nz
The Southward Car Museum at Paraparaumu (about 50kms north of Wellington) is worth a look too.

http://www.southwardcarmuseum.co.nz/index.html
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #33
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

First thing I noticed was the corners on country roads have way more camber..
Be careful of black ice on wet roads ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
First thing I noticed was the corners on country roads have way more camber..
Be careful of black ice on wet roads ..
The OP is travelling in February no chance of black ice
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #35
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last trip at easter and sept has plenty of soakage running on the roads and soft corners. rain fall much heigher than in this part of east coast OZ.

but worse was the road gang use of road grit or large 50mm rock at road works or slippery roads. normally replacing winter frost damage drainage. they put the rock down then break it up rather than crushing it first,

some trips down south I come across melted road surface. few blokes up north talking about it. media claimed global warming and UV light exposure-my road gang mates tell it is environmentally friendly emo.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #36
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Any of the regular car companies should carry falcons for their large car segment. Problem is, most won't confirm the badge, just the size.

Meaning you could arrive and be given a Commodore or Aurion. Which is why they advertise "or similar" when you book.
Yeah I get that, but some companies have more Falcons in stock than others. I can almost forget about renting a Falcon in Perth, there are precious few of them when companies are now flogging Camry and i45 as the 'full size' option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Incorrect, the rule changed a year or two ago, left turning has right of way
Thank goodness for that. Last thing I want is to cause an accident while I'm there due to not knowing the road rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Hertz is your best bet for getting a Falcon.
Thanks, I think I'll book with Hertz then.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #37
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

For the Auckland to Wellington trip I would recommend breaking it up if possible. It is an 8 hour trip without stopping for anything other than fuel and toilet breaks.

So yes you can comfortably do the 650km it in a day but if you would like to take in some scenery and enjoy some sit down food then stop overnight at Lake Taupo, go visit the Huka falls and Hells Gate. Hot pools in the morning at Tokaanu/Turangi before setting off to Wellington.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #38
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Watch out for the sheep :-) Someone had to say it.
The sheep aren't a problem. It's the blokes standing behind them with velcro gloves that you have to watch out for...

My trip on the south island back in 2010: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11298742
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #39
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
The sheep aren't a problem. It's the blokes standing behind them with velcro gloves that you have to watch out for...

My trip on the south island back in 2010: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11298742

Haha its really not that bad, you could easily live in Auckland your whole life and not see a single sheep
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #40
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Haha its really not that bad, you could easily live in Auckland your whole life and not see a single sheep
Yeah it's a bit like the yanks thinking Kangaroos hop down Pitt St
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post