Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Changing a clock spring?? How, do I need to?

Hi all,

I have a repairable write off in the form of a 1999 Series 1 AU ute. Story goes that it need a new steering rack and 'K' frame which I have done. However, in doing so I think I may have damaged the clock spring as the steering wheel binds up. It sounds like a wire with rubber insulator is being stretched. I have taken the wheel and Airbag off and there was nothing visible obstructing it. Put it back together and was good for about 10mins then same problem again.

I have a spare clock spring in a 2001 fairlane which I can swap over but I have no idea how to change the clock spring.

If someone could tell me how to change the clock spring that would be awesome.

Thanks, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Disconnect battery and leave for 10
Remove airbag
Remove Steering wheel
then the clockspring is right infront of you... Just undo the 3 phillips head screws holding the wiperblade stalk in aswell, and just put it into the ute..

This way there is no easy way of damaging the clockspring (plus you get the fairy features)

Once you figure it out, its not that hard at all..
Old 14-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

Remove battery negative,and replace,just think that the clock spring is a string with wire in it,if you turn it all the way to the right it will stop turning to install it you have to turn it back 3 turns if you don't the wire will brake and never turn the steering when changing racks.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are 2 bolts at the back of the steering wheel to release the airbag ( being a series 1 it shouldn't have those horrible 5 point screws) you then need to remove the steering wheel undo the screws and the clock spring should just come off

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

my S1 AU Futura wagon has those shithouse 5-star keys..

really gets at me..
Old 15-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds pretty straight forward then. I thought it was that but was not 100% sure. Should be easy as I have the tools for the stupid bloody 5star bolts for the airbag as I was sick of struggling with them all the time.

Thanks for the quick replies all.

Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 15-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
my S1 AU Futura wagon has those shithouse 5-star keys..

really gets at me..
They all have them. So what you do, is borrow a 5-key bit, take them out, cut a line with a hacksaw and then you can undo them with a flathead screwdriver.
That's what I did with my falcon!
Old 20-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Changing a clock spring?? How, do I need to?

Well thanks heaps guys. Found some time this afternoon to swap the clockspring over. Only took about 20mins to do as well. The old one sure was stuffed that it for sure. The copper wire was actually starting to come out the side of the assembly.

Thanks again all, Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
timbobtimothy
Starter Motor

I have a slight problem with steering wheel and this post seemed to get as close to the question,I want to replace the standard xr6Au 98' wheel as the leather is biodegrading every time I touch the thing.
I have a replacement wheel but it's not airbag-ed its a $380 wheel looks great, just want to use it in my 98' AUXR6HP not vct! if any one has done this conversion before please let me know.
timbobtimothy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobtimothy
I have a slight problem with steering wheel and this post seemed to get as close to the question,I want to replace the standard xr6Au 98' wheel as the leather is biodegrading every time I touch the thing.
I have a replacement wheel but it's not airbag-ed its a $380 wheel looks great, just want to use it in my 98' AUXR6HP not vct! if any one has done this conversion before please let me know.
Pretty sure it's illegal to use a non airbag steering wheel for a car that's previously had one.

I wouldn't do it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Pretty sure it's illegal to use a non airbag steering wheel for a car that's previously had one.

GK
Correct. Illegal everywhere in Australia.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Not only illegal but youll have the airbag light on all the time.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
horze

Hey guys.. im sorry to bring up an old thread.
Got my horn, cruise and airbag light on.. so 99.999999% clock spring issue... was just about to attempt when i saw the post saying turn all the way left and 3 turns back.. just wanna make sure (not exactly sure how the clock spring works so ignore my ignorance)
question is do i have to get the steering wheel and clock spring insync with each other.. so do i gotta have the wheels of the car perfectly straight so i get the exact mid point of the clock spring?
like i said.. might sound like a very dumb question.. i am mechanically minded.. but this one i got no idea how it works lol
thanx in advance fellas

p.s. im doing this for a ba xr6... its the same procedure right?
horze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To make it easier on yourself, center the steering wheel before you take it off (with the wheels facing forward of course), then follow the instructions on the clock spring which tell you how to center it.
If the clock spring isn't centered when you put it in, then you will snap its insides when you turn the steering wheel so its important to make sure its all synced together.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
PJ.RAE
Starter Motor

Can some one tell me how to centre a clock spring on a BA Fairlane
PJ.RAE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post