Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brand new '69 Camaro

Yes, I know it's a Chev, *BUT* unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you've probably heard about this. Under license from GM, DynaCorn are manufacturing BRAND NEW '69 Camaro convertible bodies. I think YearOne is the reseller?

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.as...ch3.asp?AID=71

I see this as something great! A brand new sixties muscle car. Problem is that most the Americans I deal with on the AMC and CBody Mopar discussions see it as a perversion of the hobby .. that people will automatically swap VINs from originals, create clones, etc.

In Australia I think it all gets a bit blurred as the anti-fun police would have us by the short-and-curlys building a '05-'69 car .. it would need so much safety/emissions junk as to make it impractical, but ..

How would you like to buy a brand new '69 Mustang fastback body? .. or XA coupe?

Thoughts on where this leads us as a hobby?

Rod.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Yes, I know it's a Chev, *BUT* unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you've probably heard about this. Under license from GM, DynaCorn are manufacturing BRAND NEW '69 Camaro convertible bodies. I think YearOne is the reseller?

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.as...ch3.asp?AID=71

I see this as something great! A brand new sixties muscle car. Problem is that most the Americans I deal with on the AMC and CBody Mopar discussions see it as a perversion of the hobby .. that people will automatically swap VINs from originals, create clones, etc.

In Australia I think it all gets a bit blurred as the anti-fun police would have us by the short-and-curlys building a '05-'69 car .. it would need so much safety/emissions junk as to make it impractical, but ..

How would you like to buy a brand new '69 Mustang fastback body? .. or XA coupe?

Thoughts on where this leads us as a hobby?

Rod.

Wow! A new XA-XC body would be a saleable thing...however, like the AC Cobra replicas, I think that it detracts too much from the real ones.

However, it would beat the hell out of cutting large chenks of rust out of 30yr old cars!!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Perun
SSith Lord

See, I'd love to see something like that in Australia. As scottishxc said, you don't have to chop up real classics to make a classic! In the States, people have been building brand new '57 Chevs for years now.

Even if you wanted the look without performance, I'm sure you could build one of those things with say modified BA XT running gear, and use it to drive around every day. It'd make for one sweet daily driver!
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

well, i would be first in line to buy an XB coupe body thats for sure! would be nice to have a fresh body to build on woudnt it!?
I can see BIG money in this!

cheers
rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Wow! A new XA-XC body would be a saleable thing...however, like the AC Cobra replicas, I think that it detracts too much from the real ones.

However, it would beat the hell out of cutting large chenks of rust out of 30yr old cars!!
Brand new XA-XC bodies would be very popular. I'd build one if it could be done.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i can imagine that it would cause a lot of headache to the people that have already fully restored an X series falcon, but tell me it wouldnt be nice seeing HEAPS of Xa-C falcons getting around with BA boss motors.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

How do they go about rego? I assume they can only be registered when used to re-body an old Camaro? In the UK new bodyshells have been available for several years for cars like MGBs and Minis, for registration purposes they are effectively treated as a spare part. Also it is common to replace the chassis on Citroen 2CVs. Mind you the UK rego laws are pretty flexible in terms of the concept of a cars identity - eg build a kit car from 1975 Cortina mechanicals and the car's identity is still 1975 Ford, similarly it is possible to put a V8 in a Mini and you only have to get it through a roadworthy.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

As with some kit and "turn key" classics, they'll have to meet current ADR specs, as they're a new body manufactured in 06.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Bevan Boy

As a coupe owner i wouldnt like it as it would cheapen the value of my car and i guess the wow factor.

Every man and his dog would go out and do it!

1974 Ford XB Hardtop - Custom Purple
351 Cleveland - C4 auto with stage 2 shift kit
Bevan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

As a coupe owner I agree with Bevan Boy on face value, but on second thought I'd probably buy one and build it up - gotta be easier, cleaner, more reliable, safer, etc. than an original one, and cheaper than a GT40 replica.

Actually I've been looking for a new venture - I wonder if this might be worth seriously getting into? The business of designing, creating, engineering, building new-skool kits and various-stage turn-keys of classic muscle from Oz, USA, etc.????
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan Boy
As a coupe owner i wouldnt like it as it would cheapen the value of my car and i guess the wow factor.

.. and the people saying this are the usually the ones who already have one .. guess I should have never bought a house and sold my XB GS coupe :(
I don't think "everyone" would go out and buy one. Remember there are probably people who would like a XA-XC coupe, but cannot find a "good" one. Only a certain number of cars still remain and its a lottery when cars are offered for sale and buyers have cash available. This type of repo'ing allows "some" (rich) people to have cars of their dreams when they want them, rather than waiting for the right car to come up for sale.
My 2 cents ..
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
It wouldnt be nice seeing HEAPS of Xa-C falcons getting around with BA boss motors.
I would love to build that project one day, if a re-prodution body was brought out would make the job much, much easier too and it save getting a dinted, rusted and tired body, thats had as many hits as Elvis in it's life.

Sure i love the idea of bringing a car back from the neer dead to be a show car, but this would save alot of the hard work and cost of building a awesome XA-XC coupe.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

reproducing coupe shells would be good but it would be better to do it in limited numbers say 500 per year?

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Would definitly have to be controlled how many were produced each year.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan Boy

Ohhh rubbish ! I dont see reproduction Gt parts or Faker XY's cheapening the real GT's and HO's!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...hid=820AC65914

Only $9490 USD for a complete Body that is fastastic :

Quote:
Note: These bodies are intended for off-highway and/or display purposes only.
Does that mean that there not road regiterable?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #17
Bevan Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
Ohhh rubbish ! I dont see reproduction Gt parts or Faker XY's cheapening the real GT's and HO's!
of course not because its to bloody hard to even find fakeys in good nic for sale!!!! :P

its still quite hard to by a standard XY, XW etc and then get all the GT parts for it to get it up to scratch, however instant body for sale and everyone would put a lot more consideration into it, and it would make it heaps easier!

1974 Ford XB Hardtop - Custom Purple
351 Cleveland - C4 auto with stage 2 shift kit
Bevan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #18
9lives

I reckon it would actually have the opposite effect to what every one thinks having a heap of newly built xa or xb or cameros, for that matter, running around would just make the ownership of a rare genuine original car much more rewarding.....and more lucrative.
Old 28-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #19
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

It would be great if someone could even make quarter panels for the (xa-xc)coupes(like you can buy in the states for almost any old us car),as this would potentaily save a lot of the coupe shells that are still around.