Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default ECU Q's

G'Day all.

Just a few q's about the ECU's.

What is this "edit" I've been hearing about. I found a thread but it really didn't explain much? - Can this edit be applied to a normal I6 auto engine?

What would happen if you were to put an XR6 VCT ecu into a non VCT car.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can't put a VCT ecu in a not VCT engine as the ecu controlls the variable camshaft timing and a non VCT engine does not have a variable camshaft timing adjustment on it..

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

: Yes, I know this, but would happen if I were to do this? Would i just go into limp home mode?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 25-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

So no one can tell me what this edit is that ive heard everyone talking about?

Old 25-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

The 'edit' is able to adjust certain flags and settings in the ECU to tune the engine.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Stampy

I want an edit for shift points and to change the torque reduction on gear changes
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
stiddy
Banned

the edit is really made up of two parts.
First part is a database of memory locations for all the functions, scalars, and tables that contain calibration information in your EEC "catch code"
"catch code" is what defines the EEC "model" that you have
Second part is the guy that lets you modify the data in these tables.
scalars are fixed/constant values like rpm limit, speed limit, idle speed, diff ratio, tyre size.....
tables are almost all 2D and are basically your ignition and fuel maps also things like auto shift-point maps and converter lock-up maps for slug-o-matic guys.
functions are 1D tables that describe the relationship between sensor voltage and actual measure.
so the edit just lets you access and modify/change all these parts of the stock EEC but you are still bound by the limitations of the EEC.
like if your "catch code" doesn't include the code for switching on/off VCT, then it never will...edit can't change that sort of stuff
the edit is just the tool that lets you recalibrate the stock EEC strategy

and some extra reading material, will take you 3 days to read and 3 years to understand lol
http://nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=94617
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group...ation/CRAI8.zip
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Thanks alot guys - any idea on how much an edit will cost when they are more mainstream (if they aren't already)

Old 25-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

$1500-1600 supplied, fitted with a custom tune...

but they are poping up 2nd hand for around the $500-600 mark
Old 25-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOAH- never expected it to be that much aye, how much for like a uni chip or something or is that like the same thing... i don't know much about comps, only the engines

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
xr8ute
Back on the road

thats pretty good info Stiddy ;)

I don't think much would happen if you put a VCT computer in a non-VCT car. Except there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest the VCT runs a lot richer from the factory (to keep it slower than the AU1 XR8).

So you would probably run a little slower, get worse fuel economy, and your computer would be spitting diagnostic trouble codes becuase it can't find the VCT sensors/hardware on your motor.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
$1500-1600 supplied, fitted with a custom tune...

but they are poping up 2nd hand for around the $500-600 mark

Where?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
TCK-098

Im going to take out my Chiptorque chip and sell it and put the edit onto the AU form what ive heard thats a better option.
Old 27-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustytheclown
Im going to take out my Chiptorque chip and sell it and put the edit onto the AU form what ive heard thats a better option.
can you post before and after power figures if you can? it would be nice to see.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Where?
2 or 3 sold for these dollars at the end of the year on www.fordxr6turbo.com forums

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
thats pretty good info Stiddy ;)
haha yeah thanks to you :