Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Default Info from Owners & their Manuals

"New" '97 Mondeo LX didn't come with an Owners Manual, and haven't found one online.

Figured someone here might be kind enough to answer a couple of basic questions? Yes? Awesome, thanks!

The car came with a single, ordinary key - no remote.
- is there any way to lock/unlock the car while sitting inside? how about with the engine running?
- is there any way to open the boot with the engine running?
I'm suspecting "No", but still hopeful.

There doesn't seem to be any way to use interior fans without turning on the air con. Is this really true?

Any way to turn off the boot light, other than close the boot or start pulling fuses?

Thanks!

Wombat John is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Talking Re: Info from Owners & their Manuals

Ok

If you have central locking you may have an option to try locking the vehicle when inside:

Get in, close the door and push the door handle (like a button) in towards the door, if it does push inwards it'll lock all doors and do it at any time, so engine running or not. If it doesn't then you don't have that option.

For the boot I'm not sure, I wonder if you could rig up your own button to signal the release perhaps. There are aftermarket kits for said job, I've fitted one to a Hyundai Excel X2 (owner called it the lazy switch lol)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR8834

Now the fan, I had to look at a pic from carsales and there seems to be the fan speed dial has two 1234 speed settings in both directions (left or right) is one of those sides without AC? Is the dial a button itself?!?

edit: look what I found lol it is a button...
(courteous of Wombat John in another thread I had to tiny url it as it was long)
http://tiny.cc/gm70gx

For the boot light, short of adding a switch to the release mechanism and placing it smartly out of the way so it couldn't be bumped by an item, you're best/easiest mod is to use a LED festoon light as it doesn't use as much power. That or a screwdriver (close at hand in the boot) to either close the mechanism thinking the boot is closed or wedged in there pressing on the switch to turn off the light.

that's it I'm out of ideas. I don't have a manual either sorry. edit: go seek all the info you need from the link above
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Default Re: Info from Owners & their Manuals

Thanks, once more cobrin!

The pushing the door handles does indeed lock the car. In fact, now that I know to look for, I see that when using the key to lock/unlock, the handles move.

Fan speed control is also the AC switch? Ok. Instinct says to pull the knob. Oh, the knob came off. Putting it back on... wait, was there some bouncy there? Oh! A push button!

And I'm getting ready to start installing switches. Custom boot light switch will be okay. That Jaycay kit is overkill - already have the solenoid, but it has given me an idea. In the Ford Mondeo tradition of unintuitive controls, I'm thinking of installing this ( http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0773 ) and using it for boot release.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Update! Apparently I wasn't thinking unintuitively enough. The boot keyhole is also a button. If the car is unlocked, pressing the keyhole will open the boot.

Obvious, really...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
nevetsg

Online manual here:
http://www.fordmondeo.auto-manual.org/top.html
Hope it helps.
I read through it when I was deciding to buy a Mondeo.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Thanks nevetsg. That's closer to '07 than '97, but still an interesting read.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
nevetsg

oh! sorry!
I just saw the 7 and my head went to MK4

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post