Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Focus constantly going into limp mode

Has anyone experienced this? Soon to be mother in law has a trend and it seems to enjoy going into limp mode when taking off at the lights.

Car has less then 10,000k's. The only thing that comes to my mind is a dodgy TPS sensor.

Its booked in at the stealers but just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus constantly going into limp mode

I would have expected error messages but most likely you are correct its an intermittent sensor failure may be as simple as loose mounting for the sensor
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
KenN0898

Excuse my ignorance, I am unsure what you mean by 'limp mode', do you mean misfiring or lack of power or something like that?., if so I can tell you that my 2012 LW Trend did that twice during its first 1000 kms., on both occasions I pulled into the curb, switched off and after about a minute switched on, started up and accelerated away, each time the car performed normally. Ford told me that this can happen and switching off and then on resets the computer, I am not a mechanic or engineer or anything like that and because the car has performed perfectly since, and has now done over 14000 kms., I am happy to accept that explanation.
KenN0898 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenN0898 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, I am unsure what you mean by 'limp mode', do you mean misfiring or lack of power or something like that?., if so I can tell you that my 2012 LW Trend did that twice during its first 1000 kms., on both occasions I pulled into the curb, switched off and after about a minute switched on, started up and accelerated away, each time the car performed normally. Ford told me that this can happen and switching off and then on resets the computer, I am not a mechanic or engineer or anything like that and because the car has performed perfectly since, and has now done over 14000 kms., I am happy to accept that explanation.
Limp mode is when the car goes into a mode were its trying to protect itself. So it will lose all power because it goes into one mode. Apparently its been happening to a few cars (according to the dealer). My old BFII was going into limp mode when I would started. But it was just the battery on the way out. Mums got it and it hasn't done it in over two years.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
KenN0898

Thanks vztrt, now I know what "limp mode" is, I must admit this is the first time that I have heard the expression. However, I suppose this could explain what happened to my Trend on 2 occasions during the first 1000kms. The car has now done over 14000kms and there ahs been no repeat of the problem since the initial 2 times so I guess all is well.
KenN0898 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post