Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Ceramic coating on extractors?

Is it all its cracked up to be? what are the real world benefits/gains to be had from getting a set of extractors coated before fitting?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
lockie

Default Re: Ceramic coating on extractors?

I dunno the answer to that but I can tell you I have pacemakers with the heat resistant blue paint on my 2009 FG XR6 & I just had to replace my alternator. The auto electrician claims the extra heat from the headers without a heat shield could have been the reason for premature failure of the old alternator. If ceramic coating helps with heat then go for it.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I believe it's worth it. Not from a HP gain but reducing heat. I have noticed that with my car, there is very little heat thrown off the pipes, but I am also running lots of initial timing so that would help too.

The latest engine masters mag had some temp figures. I'll dig them up and post them.

Plus they look ace when coated

Edit:
Here are the figures from the Engine masters mag.

Coated headers:- Temp immediately after run 258F, one minute cool down 195F

Uncoated, painted black headers:- Temp immediately after run 870F, one minute cool down 520F

Dyno Cruise simulation: 3500rpm/60ftlbs Coated 288F, uncoated 850F

Last edited by cs123; 03-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Yep I'd believe those numbers. From my experience a car with coated pipes when you lift the bonnet you get hit with hot air. Coated pipes = huge difference just warm not hot if that makes sense.
Then there's the benefits of looks and no rust.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I have Ford Racing 4-2-1 Ceramic Coated Headers on my Mk1 Focus. I was running OEM Exhaust for many years before changing to said set-up. Rob Herrod did a Custom Tune for me not long after installing the new system and I'm pretty impressed with the final dyno torque figures. Seat-of-the-pants feel is very noticeable. I went with ceramic coated because it was the same price as a regular stainless steel Headers at the time. I agree with cs123's comment, as some people I show the engine bay to pay me compliments but that's not why I did it. Their photo of how they look new is spot on but didn't take long to go a light grey colour.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

When I inquired about it with High Performance Coatings they said to bear in mind that if they are going on a new motor that is going to have a lot of tuning work done, it is best to do the tune first then get them coated.

For the reason that during tuning the headers could get so hot that they could change the appearance of the coating.

Something to bear in mind.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillNZ View Post
When I inquired about it with High Performance Coatings they said to bear in mind that if they are going on a new motor that is going to have a lot of tuning work done, it is best to do the tune first then get them coated.

For the reason that during tuning the headers could get so hot that they could change the appearance of the coating.

Something to bear in mind.
Absolutely spot on. With little care have seen them go off. A good coating stays nice.
I engine dynode before coating my latest set or another idea I've done is have external fans and plenty of air flow over the motor on start up if running in a flat tappet cam.
If the pipes go dull they can be polished again with a nice fine metal polish
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post