Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #151
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Wise words
Thanks for posting Discovery, I was hoping you would. It's good to hear the facts from someone on the inside.

I think I spotted you at scrutineering on Wednesday but you looked pretty busy so I stayed out of your way
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #152
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
Thanks for posting Discovery, I was hoping you would. It's good to hear the facts from someone on the inside.

I think I spotted you at scrutineering on Wednesday but you looked pretty busy so I stayed out of your way
Yes thank you!

I have been to the last 8 summernats and this year it was alot less rowdy than previous ones, apart from this one incident i feel the summernats went really well.

Nothing is ever going to stop me from going and entering my car, i love it to much.

Did anyone sell the canberra times article where even the guy who got hit said that it wouldn't stop him from going back? what a champ!
Choca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #153
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been reading this from the start - and have made an observation on it (leaving all the 'they should ban it' comments aside).

Those who are regulars to the event certainly are die hards (respect) and will continue to keep attending. Thats great - good for you.

What an incident like this does though is 'spook' those who havent ever attended into considering if they ever will.

The way I see it is - return patronage is good - but for the future of the event - they need to 'grow their market' as such and make people who havent been.........to go.

So basically everyone is right. Those who are regulars are saying it is still a great event, im still going, etc.

But then those who havent been are logical in now thinking, well do I want to go? And that is what will eventually in the long term - damage this event.

Just my 2c.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #154
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

Good point XA Coupsta but an invalid one in this regard. Speaking from experience, each year the number of new entries grows. We spend a lot of time in scrutineering and entrant registration filling people in on what they can expect, where to enter etc. So many of the new entrants have held this event as a benchmark and something to aim for and are very happy to have finally made it when they turn up to scrutineering.

What we are also finding now is that past entrants are coming along with their childrens' rides. It's great to see proud parents attending with their 18 year olds in their pride and joy. The Grand Champion this year is an example of second generation entrants. I could also name a bunch more off hand that fit into this same category.

As for getting smaller, the event recorded its highest number of pre-entries this year. And in regard to costs, the ticket prices were just a couple of dollars more this year than last. The buddy pass cost remained the same. At $98 for a season pass ($90 for a buddy) for 4 days of event, I think it represents great value. Once inside, apart from food, drinks and merchandise, everything is included.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #155
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Quote:
As far as tits & ИИИИ, to the person who posted this, look at your avatar!
Gezz l hope this wasn't a dig at me.

if so atleast l asked her nicely and sober without trying to rip her top off...

There is a big difference between promo girls and the girls in the back of a ute driving around Summernats...

And for my 2c worth on how safe Summernats is,you must go home when the sun goes down...

ln 2003 l seen my life flash before my eyes when a Torana was doing a burnout out front of the db dyno with the security and spectators cheering him on when he lost control and nearly ran me over and 10 other people, l have so many nasty!!!! stories about what you dont here at the Summernats..

Don't get me wrong l love the Summernats l took my car up there 2004 and what a mistake that was as security are there to protect the entrants from D i c k heads getting to close to the cars when driving to and from events as well as guys surrounding my car forcing me to do a burnout which nearly got me kicked out, l would really hate to think what my car would have looked like if l didn't do one...

As for the event l think with a bit of fine tuning ie: no alchohol the event would be a much better place for families to go to.....as l will not take mine as l think it is unsafe and this accident just proved it, as l have said something like this was going to happen soon as it always has to be bigger, faster and noisier than the previous year...
X ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #156
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Good point XA Coupsta but an invalid one in this regard. Speaking from experience, each year the number of new entries grows. We spend a lot of time in scrutineering and entrant registration filling people in on what they can expect, where to enter etc. So many of the new entrants have held this event as a benchmark and something to aim for and are very happy to have finally made it when they turn up to scrutineering.

What we are also finding now is that past entrants are coming along with their childrens' rides. It's great to see proud parents attending with their 18 year olds in their pride and joy. The Grand Champion this year is an example of second generation entrants. I could also name a bunch more off hand that fit into this same category.

As for getting smaller, the event recorded its highest number of pre-entries this year. And in regard to costs, the ticket prices were just a couple of dollars more this year than last. The buddy pass cost remained the same. At $98 for a season pass ($90 for a buddy) for 4 days of event, I think it represents great value. Once inside, apart from food, drinks and merchandise, everything is included.

Hmmmm.....not sure how it can be labelled invalid when there has been plenty of people on here alone (if you use that as an indicator) stating they wont go to it.

But I do appreciate your well worded response on it.

Sure there are more cars entering now. However I dont think that is the key driver in making my points invalid. The Summernats is THE pinnacle for car builders - so it is always going to attract entrants to the event more and more. It is unique and unmatched therefore with no rival event - there is no entrant dilution to something else. They cant say "Well Summernats is getting crap - I'm off to {insert new event here}. They HAVE to go to Summernats. (actually they have a monopoly on the market - Mr Henry should raise revenues by playing on this point and start charging entrants more! Oh man I'm gonna get flamed for that)

My comments related to spectators being scared off from ever attending due to safety incidents that occured like this one.

All of your comments are spot on - no doubt - but they all related to entrants.

Do you know of any spectator numbers for the event? (no doubt they will exhibit natural growth also year on year). But this is again where I see the damage being done.

And at the end of the day........car builders and this event need crowds of people to show up to appreciate their rides, and continue the success of the event. Take away the spectators - doesnt matter how many hot cars are entering - the event dies a slow death.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #157
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
See what happens when you give Greg Murphy a ute to drift?
See I was right .... he's only qualified to drive dodgem cars.

But seriously ... I hope that everyone who was injured (serious or not) comes out of it OK ... by the sounds of it ther fencing wasn't too crash hot and there needed to be more distance between the crowd and the driving event itself.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #158
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Hmmmm.....not sure how it can be labelled invalid when there has been plenty of people on here alone (if you use that as an indicator) stating they wont go to it.

But I do appreciate your well worded response on it.

Sure there are more cars entering now. However I dont think that is the key driver in making my points invalid. The Summernats is THE pinnacle for car builders - so it is always going to attract entrants to the event more and more. It is unique and unmatched therefore with no rival event - there is no entrant dilution to something else. They cant say "Well Summernats is getting crap - I'm off to {insert new event here}. They HAVE to go to Summernats. (actually they have a monopoly on the market - Mr Henry should raise revenues by playing on this point and start charging entrants more! Oh man I'm gonna get flamed for that)

My comments related to spectators being scared off from ever attending due to safety incidents that occured like this one.

All of your comments are spot on - no doubt - but they all related to entrants.

Do you know of any spectator numbers for the event? (no doubt they will exhibit natural growth also year on year). But this is again where I see the damage being done.

And at the end of the day........car builders and this event need crowds of people to show up to appreciate their rides, and continue the success of the event. Take away the spectators - doesnt matter how many hot cars are entering - the event dies a slow death.
I think you'll find there is a rapidly growing resurgance in the Musclecar scene to provide a much more family orientated alternative, which from what im hearing will attract people back to the car show scene.
Eastern Creek and now Calder Park http://motorsport.com.au/news/musclecar.htm this easter are holding Musclecar events for factory based Musclecars from the 60's and 70's.
These events provide an atmosphere to enjoy and celebrate the great Factory Musclecars and racecars from the Musclecar era.
The cars are extremely expensive and rare and the patronage is generally more mature and family orientated.
Certainly from the clubs perspective every GT club or Monaro club event ive ever been too involves the whole family and is geared that way.
Hopefully these events go off without the "bogan" stigma of the nats...

Last edited by 4Vman; 12-01-2006 at 11:40 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #159
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

XA Coupsta, my apologies, I must have read your post incorrectly. Yes I have only mentioned entrants (mainly because I am only involved with the entrants and their buddies in my role) From all reports spectator numbers are on a par with past events. This despite the rumours and worry that spread from NSW based media on the probability of racial flare-ups akin to the Sydney beaches episode. We knew that by Friday this wasn't going to happen (and there was extra security and a huge police presence there solely to deal with this issue) as the entrants known as trouble makers in this area didn't front.

There's not much more I can say really. This is but one of a number of great car events run in the country each year. Another that you should keep an eye on is the Sydney Car Festival (www.sydneycarfestival.com.au) This event is growing and is looking to expand in the very near future.

The Summernats is unique. No, it's not for everyone but it still attracts huge crowds. Might see you there next year.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #160
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ROOTS you blokes are nuts you cant seriously tell me that 10 years ago blokes werent ИИИИed and chicks werent gettng their tits out come on ive been goin for the last 5 years and thats all i saw plus awesome cars the burnouts on the streets are mad and yes it can get out of hand but most of the time the security tell the guys not to rip it or they are banned i saw less burnouts this year than last year so it seems it has died down tits and grog are the perfect partners for phat cars. As far as that driftn in the main arena what bozo set that up a metre high fence oh yeah good one Chic disaster waiting to happen i dont know why the supercruise on the streets was ever stopped most of the elite cars wont even drive off the trailer why then do they go around a dirt track??????????? seems the road is a far better option the NATS is the NATS it will always be fun change is something that everything and everyone goes through so y would the nats be any different.
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 01:52 AM   #161
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Would it kill you to put a bit of punctuation in your next post?
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #162
triple8nitro
Alternator

I saw this bloke who was talking ИИИИ about lebs etc....at the nats get picked up by security this year and lets just say they didnt take it lightly they asked him to leave he didnt they tried to remove him he wouldnt be removed then they just smashed his head against a pole 10-15times but he still wouldnt go down so 3 of them held him agains the pole and started to kinghit him with his head against the pole he still wouldnt go down so they finally put him in a sleeper hold which is what should have been done in the first place imo howzat (4 security 1 bloke)
Old 14-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #163
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont have time for punctuation this aint school hahahahaha
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #164
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_stak_tipa
dont have time for punctuation this aint school hahahahaha

HI

Just a friendly word that punctuation is important here, if you take the time to do so we may view your post with some credibility, please keep that in mind if you start finding you posts deleted
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #165
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find some of the comments interesting. I've been to the Albury All Ford Day and I've seen some driving stunts on the road during the cruise that are as careless as those performed by entrants at the nats. Those people seems to have changed their tune. Once a hoon, always a hoon me thinks.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 01:50 AM   #166
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_stak_tipa
.....ive been goin for the last 5 years and thats all i saw plus awesome cars the burnouts on the streets are mad.....tits and grog are the perfect partners for phat cars.....the elite cars wont even drive off the trailer why then do they go around a dirt track???????????.....
That first part is just such a stupid comment. In four days the number of actual burnouts (not pathetic wheel spins to satisfy ****ers) is minimal. Either you don't have a clue, or are easily satified.

It's wannabe knob gobblers with this attitude that have screwed the event....grow up.

You obviously don't pay attention. The top judged/elite cars are ALWAYS the first to hit the dirt track for the Supercruise.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #167
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The Summernats is a good event, and is a place that's provides an opportunity for people who have built, and/or have genuine interest in car's, a place to be able to go and hang out with others who are like minded. I've been to a couple (including the year of the infamous "Northbourne riots") and have enjoyed it. Would I go now? With teenage daughters, no way. I don't need a drunk 30y.o. yelling at our 15 y.o. to "show us ya tit's", or have my car kicked in because I refuse to spin the wheels.
It shouldn't be canned, but it needs reform before it get's canned by someone with a vested interest to see it disappear. The accident was unfortunate, but the promoter didn't help the cause by admitting he took the cheap option with safety. He can't let that happen again.
The Nats has grown away from it's roots, and has become a beer and titties expo with the cars now a secondry item. They need to reverse that and sadly, the only way they'll stop the true idiots from attending is to, unfortunately, make it a totally dry event (or at least refuse to supply the drunks with more alchohol) and can the strip show. Yes, they will lose crowd numbers initally, but in the long term, it'll attract more people who refuse to go now because of element who can't control themselves when they're ИИИИed, or who wouldn't know squat about cars, but just go there to make an *** of themselves. Those people will just find something else to do. It shouldn't always be about the money.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #168
gozza

the driver is not to blame....high performance vehicles aren't to blame...
blame the event holders for not thinking that maybe one day someone may lose control and slide thru a "highly defensive" chain rope....or the parents for assuming they would be safe behind it...
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #169
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
The Summernats is a good event, and is a place that's provides an opportunity for people who have built, and/or have genuine interest in car's, a place to be able to go and hang out with others who are like minded. I've been to a couple (including the year of the infamous "Northbourne riots") and have enjoyed it. Would I go now? With teenage daughters, no way. I don't need a drunk 30y.o. yelling at our 15 y.o. to "show us ya tit's", or have my car kicked in because I refuse to spin the wheels.
It shouldn't be canned, but it needs reform before it get's canned by someone with a vested interest to see it disappear. The accident was unfortunate, but the promoter didn't help the cause by admitting he took the cheap option with safety. He can't let that happen again.
The Nats has grown away from it's roots, and has become a beer and titties expo with the cars now a secondry item. They need to reverse that and sadly, the only way they'll stop the true idiots from attending is to, unfortunately, make it a totally dry event (or at least refuse to supply the drunks with more alchohol) and can the strip show. Yes, they will lose crowd numbers initally, but in the long term, it'll attract more people who refuse to go now because of element who can't control themselves when they're ИИИИed, or who wouldn't know squat about cars, but just go there to make an *** of themselves. Those people will just find something else to do. It shouldn't always be about the money.
Great suggestion, that way only those who are genuinely interested in the cars themselves can enjoy themselves, with their partners or families who usually play a large part in the cars existance anyway...
If you wanna get smashed go to the pub or if you wanna see T & A go to a strip club.

Old 16-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #170
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
That first part is just such a stupid comment. In four days the number of actual burnouts (not pathetic wheel spins to satisfy ****ers) is minimal. Either you don't have a clue, or are easily satified.

It's wannabe knob gobblers with this attitude that have screwed the event....grow up.

You obviously don't pay attention. The top judged/elite cars are ALWAYS the first to hit the dirt track for the Supercruise.
Each to their own mate! I love the vibe on the streets of the summernats, you don't see me coming to your star wars convention and slandering it!
Old 16-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #171
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
the driver is not to blame....high performance vehicles aren't to blame...
blame the event holders for not thinking that maybe one day someone may lose control and slide thru a "highly defensive" chain rope....or the parents for assuming they would be safe behind it...
Once again I'm pretty sure that the drivers have a fair bit of blame to cop!
Old 17-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #172
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choca
Each to their own mate! I love the vibe on the streets of the summernats, you don't see me coming to your star wars convention and slandering it!
Ha ha star wars convention ... I love it !!

And yeah the summernats vibe is awesome !! That is why i have been every year and will be back.
for the 1% bad things there is 99% of TOP FUN :sm_headba
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post