Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
ozzie

Default nf v8 starting problems

Great car great evry thing, but i seem to have this occassional problem that can come at any moment without any warning.

Sometimes you go and put the key to the start up position and the starter motor wont go on... it wont crank the engiine.( does not matter if its hot or cold)... then all of a suuden when you try again ( it does not matter if its the 3rd time or the 500th time ... it start??)... It is a bit like trying to start up your car whilst in gear ( either in 1 2 3 d or R) ... there a clicking sound, but it wont turn over. I have been to the mechanic and have put a new starter motor, new relays, checked the battery.. all is fine..... No one seems to know what it is.... ( its not the smart lock system either.

Is there some one out there who can help me please.

Can you email me at sam.ilardo@axa.com.au

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

have you tried the smartlock reset/relearn procedure, it might solve the problem, it doesnt take much to upset it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
ozzie

THanks, But i have tried to "relearn mode" and that did not work
Old 13-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im no sparky but if it was mine first thing id check would be all battery leads and terminals, earth cables, fuseable link if it has one, remove fuses and check them well as they can look fine but still be faulty ,after that id be heading to sparky,good luck with it ozzie
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My Ghia used to do the same thing. Usually I just put it from Park to Neutral and it would start straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

It does sound like the relay (or whatever it is) that stops it from starting in gear is playing up.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
ozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
My Ghia used to do the same thing. Usually I just put it from Park to Neutral and it would start straight away.
did you end up fixing the thing for good?... or does it still come up once and a while
Old 16-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Mine used to do the same thing too, it was the starter motor wire had become brittle and broke from the extra heat of the pacemakers.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie
did you end up fixing the thing for good?... or does it still come up once and a while
It hasn't done it in over six months so I guess it's fixed I never really thought about it until this thread came up.

Quote:
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 16-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Umm, now I think of it, It's probably the neutral safety switch. It's a white thing with 2 plugs under a stainless steel cover next to the passenger side cat. They're about $80-$100 depending on where you get them.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Umm, now I think of it, It's probably the neutral safety switch. It's a white thing with 2 plugs under a stainless steel cover next to the passenger side cat. They're about $80-$100 depending on where you get them.
Actually that makes alot of sense. Mine hasn't had trouble starting since I replaced it. It was also causing the car to scroll through gears randomly : Very easy to replace.

Quote: