Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Angry My Focus problems so far...

Hi,

Just thought i would share my current situation with you all regarding my 2013 Focus Trend Powershift

6th July, 2013
On the look out for a new car. Test drive a Mazda 3 and Ford Focus (auto). Love the finish, look and handling of the Focus. Worth noting that there was no rough transmission changes on the demo. Toss up between the manual and auto, since i have a dodgy left knee and do a lot of stop start traffic i go the auto.

7th July, 2013
Go back to the dealer, agree on the price and get the paper work started. This is my first brand new car, im just a tad exicited. Was told it might take a week to get a candy red in. I am happy with that.

17th July, 2013
Car is ready to be picked up. Get the run down from the dealer meet the service team, shake hands and i am on my way. Once i get home i noticed it felt very sluggish on take off from being stationary. Thought it felt funny but let it be as it might need to be broken in.

20th July, 2013
What have i bought! Clunking, grinding and shuddering from transmission on take off very noticeable. Both in D and S mode. Get onto Google and see that this is common. Oh no.

22nd July, 2013
Take the car back to the dealer and let them know the car it changing gears like a dog. Service tech takes the car for a drive and notices the shuddering and gear change clunkiness (thank god it did it when he was in the car). Advised to book car in to have computers reset looked at. Car has done 700km.

24th July, 2013
Dropped car off to the dealer to have the computers looked at. Mechanic could not find any faults. As a precaution the dealer has offered to replace the clutch as previous tech experienced the problems! Car was very rough driving back to work, grinding gear changes from 1-4. Felt like it was about to stall, and now there is a loud rattle coming from the transmission. Sounds like a tray of nuts and bolts being shook around. Car has done 770km.

29th July, 2013
So i have had my brand new car for 12 days and it is getting the clutches replaced. Car was terrible this morning driving to dealer, gear changes from 1-3 sounded like a manual car changing gears without pressing the clutch. Ford Australia called me to check on my new purchase. Have let them know all about the problems, they did not seem that concerned, more worried about if the dealer connected my iPhone to the car! Picked up the car that night seemed a lot better, no sluggish take offs or grinding gear changes.

2nd August, 2013
After driving the car all day, late afternoon the gearbox is back to its old tricks. Rattles, crunches and grinding. I do some tests... up hill, down hill, round corners... no difference still the same old PowerShit. Called the dealer they told me to take it in on Saturday morning for them to look at. Took some video so i can show them what the noise sounds like. Car has done 1520km

3rd August, 2013
Dropped car off in the morning. Showed the video to service manager and also the head mechanic. Explained about the noises and the tests i had done. Picked the car up that afternoon, was told that they have performed a clutch point reset and that i have the latest firmware for the computers. No sign of the noises as yet. If the issue continues Ford have advised that they will need the car for a few days to test.

6th August, 2013
So the PowerShit is back to its old ways. More noticeable when changing down from say 60-40km and then taking off again. It is like it does not know what gear it wants and just crunches into one.

So after having it back to the dealer so many times and having a clutch replaced on a 770km brand new car what else is left for them to do? As far as i can see this is the last time. Are my options a new transmission, my money back or a new car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, i will keep this thread updated with my progress in an aid to help fellow Focus owners.

Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: My Focus problems so far...

you poor buggar . on the plus side FORD have admitted its faulty. and are trying to fix it . you may well be up for a new transmission . dont panic . it well get fixed . as inconvenient as it is . i'm betting you may get a new transmission , doubt you will get a replacement , car or your money back .
good luck . keep us informed and finally dont sweat it . these things happen , and thats what warranty is for . good luck with it , hope its sorted soon.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My list is 4 times longer so I feel your pain.

They will fix it till they have had enough then just tell you the problems are normal (characteristic) of the car.

2 people at work are looking at buying a new car and asked how mine was going. My reply was avoid anything with a fancy tranny and certainly avoid anything with 3yr warranty.

Your car is new, at least you won't be out of pocket.

Keep details and receipts of what is going on. I hear your warranty period extends by the same time its been sent in for repairs. Where are you located?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Imolator
Quad Cam

Sounds like the clutches aren't the problem, more likely the mechtronics.

Horrible experience for your first new car, push ford for a complete transition replacement, as this will take less time than them having your car for days trying to work out what's wrong.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
aaaaplay

My Focus Sport (petrol [dry clutch],powershift and German made) had so many issues just like yours, we bought ours with 16,000kms and had all the issues your talking about. We've technically only driven the car for three weeks as the rest of the time it was at the dealer. We'd discovered the previous owners had gotten the crankshaft seal replaced, however the work hadn't been done properly by another dealer (almost voided our warranty) luckily it didn't. Our dealer replaced that, the sump tank and the clutch pack. The car felt noticeably better however the it still had hesitations, awful noises and bad gear changes they just weren't that noticeable. About two weeks ago the even gears and reverse dropped, so I had to limp the car on odd gears to the dealer. There I was told that the 'electric gear selector rail' had failed and needed replacing. they ordered the part, however a second part was needed unbeknownst to them which was the 'thrust bearing'. After these were replaced the car has since felt completely different, it drives smoothly, no noises and drives the way an auto should. Its actually enjoyable to drive. Our dealer had been good to us throughout the ordeal especially seeing as we hadn't even purchased the vehicle from them. Luckily we bought a used car with new car warranty. Hopefully this gives you some insight into whats happening because I was just like you.
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies, i have called the dealer back and the car is going in on Monday for the whole week to see what they can find. I will be pushing for a new transmission. Will keep the thread posted.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
mutanti
Turbo

http://youtu.be/FHF8RFA4FFwhttp://youtu.be/FHF8RFA4FFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPO2O...ature=youtu.be
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your list of problems with it sounds eerily similar to what a friend of mine had with his Focus. He eventually got rid of it and had his money back, and bought another car. Can't say I blame him, really.

The documented Powershift problems in the Focus is why if I'm ever in the market for a Focus, I'll buy a manual one.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto's suck in small cars. Manual all the way in a small car for me too.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Just an update... got the car back from the dealer who had it for a week and they could not replicate the problems i have been having. I have drove it all weekend and so far no rattles and grinding from the gearbox. So touch wood that the problems may have 'fixed' themselves. It it actually a nice car to drive now.