Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default F150 to get factory propane fitted.

Found this in the LPG section but thought more people should know about it as LPG/Propane is becoming more and more popular as petrol prices continue to rise..... Things can only get better with trucks like this being converted directly from the factory! What I REALLY want to see is the V6 Ecoboost fitted with an Liquid Injection system....Now that would ROCK!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2afj2Kv3U

Last edited by GASWAGON; 01-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: F150 to get factory propane fitted.

Once diesel was half the price of petrol. It was only used in heavy transport and a few "strange european cars". I grew up in a servo and used to work there pumping petrol/diesel from the time I was 10 years old.

Then it became poplular in 4WDs and euro cars, so much so that it began to impact on the revenues of fuel companies so all of a sudden the price just rose and rose until now it hovers about the same as petrol.

Guess what will happen if/when CNG/LPG becomes main stream and starts to impact sales of the other fuels.........

But as far as the technology that is being implemented in yank vehicles, I wonder where it was developed...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article says the trucks are not factory fitted but fitted by 6 upfitters. Basically 3rd party companies.

Ford works with six upfitters, known as "qualified vehicle modifiers," to install CNG/LPG fuel systems. Ford will honor the engine warranty for a system installed by one of the six companies.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford announced CNG for the 3.7L V6 F150. I didn't know they were going to do propane too. I don't think propane makes much sense in America, the cost difference to unleaded isn't anywhere near as large as it is in Australia. Hopefully CNG engines will drop in price.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think its still great to have an 'Alternative' to using Black Gold.... Gees in Oz the oil companies used to burn propane off in big towers just to get rid of it.....At least now we can burn it up in cars and trucks and hopefully buses as well soon! And the technology will improve as time goes on also..
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how it performs , isn't cng a little down on power compared to lpg ?
I loved lpg in my old f series, 34 litres to the 100 k`s , eco lpi on the f series would have been grouse.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Although not factory, I think it was Roush that was offering their trucks with JTG liquid injection a while back

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Guess what will happen if/when CNG/LPG becomes main stream and starts to impact sales of the other fuels.........
Diesel carries an excise at the same rate as petrol whereas LPG is not and won't be.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It always amazed me that the yanks heated their houses with oil as I assumed they had gas as well, so as they are now awash with gas it will be interesting to see see the effect it has on oil prices. If they do what I did, that was convert the heater to gas, you would think the extra supply of oil would counter price rises to come.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

You would hope so ryeman but prices always seem to find a reason NOT to fall.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check Roush kit out! And make sure you watch ALL the segments!

http://www.powerblocktv.com/two-minu...ne-fuel-part-1
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Diesel carries an excise at the same rate as petrol whereas LPG is not and won't be.
Yeah right, there is only one place fuel prices will go and that is up.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The factory-installed prep package includes hardened valves, valve seats, pistons and rings designed

to operate on either natural gas or regular gasoline using separate fuel systems, Ford said today.

The package, available when the 2014 F-150 debuts this fall, will cost $315.
It's only a prep package, the fully fitted CNG or LPG system costs around $8,000 to $11,000
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It's only a prep package, the fully fitted CNG or LPG system costs around $8,000 to $11,000
Gees 8k is ALOT for an LPG conversion even in American dollars?
Would almost make it not worth converting at those prices?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Gees 8k is ALOT for an LPG conversion even in American dollars?
Would almost make it not worth converting at those prices?
Almost makes a Super Duty and it's 6.7 litre V8 diesel seem like a better approach..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Almost makes a Super Duty and it's 6.7 litre V8 diesel seem like a better approach..
Ye especially with the U.S oil pricing at the moment....its still VERY cheap.... They don't know how lucky they are over there!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ye especially with the U.S oil pricing at the moment....its still VERY cheap.... They don't know how lucky they are over there!
They consider what amounts to $1.00/litre as expensive...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They consider what amounts to $1.00/litre as expensive...
Bloody yanks...using up 25% of the worlds oil reserves they are with all they're V8's and V10's..... That's why Ecoboost V6 is such a great engine!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bloody yanks...using up 25% of the worlds oil reserves they are with all they're V8's and V10's..... That's why Ecoboost V6 is such a great engine!
Bottom line is that the EB V6 effectively replaces the need for a 6.2 V8 for towing,
it gives 16/22 mpg compared to 12/16 mpg for the 6.2 which is a huge increase in a heavy vehicle.

over 22,000 Ecoboost V6s sold in F150s every month is vindication, Ford now looking at hybrids for trucks.

On topic,
I am surprised that Ford don't supply the F150 fully set up for CNG or propane, seems like a no brainer to me...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The yanks have a cheap petrol mentality and the result is they have no export markets for their domestic vehicles.
As it is, they think ~$1/L is expensive.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thers some great comparison vids on YouTube of the V6 up against the V8's..... I think 'eventually' the yanks will fully come around to technology like the EB V6, it will just take a few more years....

JPD80... The article I posted is about the trucks coming from factory with CNG/Propane packages already fitted to the engines for an extra $315. Its the $8,000 conversion install that's the killer!

Last edited by GASWAGON; 03-08-2013 at 11:12 PM.