Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
matty au
Starter Motor

Default au runs terriable when warm/hot

hi guys ,going to work yesterday about 20 mins into the drive and the car starts to lose all power /reluctant to go,i bring it to a standstill and its still idling but just wont rev beyong say 1500 rpm.turn the car off for 5 mins and then i get another 3/4 mins of good driving out of it then starts to play up again,so switch it off and sit for 5 mins and then off i go again for another 3 mins driving,its like something needs to cool down and then its fine for awhile,it heats up and then car runs **** again,what the hell is going on ,would it be a coilpack??????????????????????

matty au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: au runs terriable when warm/hot

I'd say check your fuel filter first.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

possibly your crank angle sensor

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
matty au
Starter Motor

already changed the fuel filter,would a crank angle sensor make it do this?
Old 25-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I initially thought it might be the limp home mode to protect the engine from overheating.

What series is it?
Old 25-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
matty au
Starter Motor

it was built april 99,this is the first time i,ve owned a falcon,i,ve only had the car 2 months it only has 80,000 on the clock,i,ve replaced the leads,whats this limp home mode thingy,cause thats what i had to do just drive it home approx 5 miles just on the idle,as soon as i put my foot on the gas it would miss and run bad
Old 25-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Logistics
Starter Motor

I have exactly the same problem with my 2001 AU II Forte. Replaced the fuel filter, checked all spark plugs and leads but all good, If I take off ever so lightly it doesn't miss soon as I accelerate a bit harder it starts to splatter and feels like I am running out of fuel keep accelerating even harder it still misses badly but does go.
Any advice would be appreciated before I take it to a butcher mechanic.
Logistics is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi all & welcome to AFF, fuel pump, cas or coilpack imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
matty au
Starter Motor

so if i take the car in to be plugged in and diagnosed will this problem show up ,cause i,ll just buy what i need and fix it myself...............also has anyone relocated there coilpack on there au ,i,m thinking about putting it in top of the manifold for easier acess?????????????
Old 26-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

"so if i take the car in to be plugged in and diagnosed will this problem show up"[quote]

Yeah if its electrical it'll show up. Concerning the relocation of the coilpack, i wouldnt bother because of the stuffing around getting leads imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 26-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If its a fuel issue it wont show up..... Pull the fuel pump out first and check it,(not a hard job to do your self ) then move on to the coil pack leads ext
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...?articleid=593

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
matty au
Starter Motor

hi just thought i,d update post,i have put a new fuel pump and filter in the car and its going sweet,done about 500k since and no problem,also put the car in for a diagnosis and no problem showed up,..........so i guess it must have been pump!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for updating mate , just wondering , was tbere much crap in the filter or in the tank, its always interesting to talk symptoms to car mysteries, when you said it started to play up I would have taken a punt on the coil pack breaking down................ and I would have been wrong, , the only other reason I could see the motor running fine at first then gradually failing is debris in the tank slowliy being sucked onto the filter, then when the motor is switched off some of the debri drops off and gives you a bit of good running time again, sound feasible? ??
Just while we are on the subject of fuel systems in au's, I put some fuel system cleaner in my xr6 tank a few weeks ago , my fuel pressure has gone up few psi , it has been running about 42 psi a few years, its now running about 46 psi, so it looks like the stuff actually did something.
Glad to hear your limo is up and running again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Kamikaza
Starter Motor

I have just replaced the coilpack and spark plugs, and found the engine is running smoothly in idle (P or N).
However, as soon as I put the gear into D or R, the engine starts to shake, RPM drops to 500 and lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.
I also had similar driving issue as Matty Au did, which made me think of failed coilpack and sparkplugs. Does the blocked filter or failing pump make a lot of smoke and loss of power in D or R? Or shall I replace CAS?
I was about to wreck my car but decided to change the coilpack and plugs. Sadly my bet was wrong.
Kamikaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi & welcome to AFF, the white smoke is a worry, first check if your headgasket & coolant levels are all good. Pull out your spark plugs to see if any look clean compared to the rest. How many kays on the motor? A worn out cas, fuel pump & dirty fuel filter/ fuel reg will result in a loss of power or non starting motor, all the above will also affect idle quality as will a dirty iac (idle air controller). Have you disconnected the battery lately?

cheers, Maka

Old 16-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Kamikaza
Starter Motor

Pretty sure there is no head gasket issue. Yes, I jump started the car after putting new coilpack and plugs. I cleaned icv too.
Old 16-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Kamikaza
Starter Motor

Thanks. Maka.
When I experienced loss of power and eventual stalling, I took the car to a mechanic. He said no firing at 3&4 cylinders and I found it wasn't firing issue at all after putting new plugs and cas. Lots of smoke could be the result of many attempted cranking because of dead battery after 2 weeks of sitting in the garage. Idling is ok in N or P with no obvious smoke but in D or R gear, the engine sputters with smoke. It seems to be burning rich. I was about to sell it to a wrecker but decided to try one more time. Thanks anyway
Old 16-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Kamikaza
Starter Motor

Sorry. New plugs and coilpack. The cas has been replaced yet
Old 17-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
Kamikaza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logistics View Post
I have exactly the same problem with my 2001 AU II Forte. Replaced the fuel filter, checked all spark plugs and leads but all good, If I take off ever so lightly it doesn't miss soon as I accelerate a bit harder it starts to splatter and feels like I am running out of fuel keep accelerating even harder it still misses badly but does go.
Any advice would be appreciated before I take it to a butcher mechanic.
Have you fixed the problem? What was the cause?