Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Johnybravo
Starter Motor

Question AU falcon running cold

G'day all ,

I have recently bought a series 111 XR6 ute and I've noticed that it uses a lot of fuel and it takes a long time to warm up . I have changed the thermostat twice and it's still doing it . When the ute does warm up it sits just under the N on NORMAL but usualy sits on the second white stroke just above cold on the highway @ 110 (too cold) ?

I had this same problem with my BA so I replaced the thermostat and the problem was fixed , but that doesn't seem to be the case with my ute . What else should I try/replace next ?

Cheers .

Johnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Johnybravo
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU falcon running cold

I've also replaced the radiator and done a full coilant flush two weeks ago !!!

I've found that there is no power/econ button next to the gear shifter or ECON light on the dash/instrument cluster ? My mate's AU has it , but not mine ?

Appart from fuel economy and crap heater I can't fault it on anything else (I love it !!!)
Johnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Johny B, welcome to forums, what temperature thermostat did you put in? a while ago when I did a cooling system service on mine I swapped the slightly cooler summer one I had in it at 170/180 degrees and put the hottest one I could get to make the heater toasty for winter :**.................a 195 degree one in it, warms up fairly quick and gets stinking hot,
do you think they might have given you a cooler rated thermostat by mistake?
your highway temp if the gauge is correct sounds too cold too me,(unless your in snow country) I am assuming the xr6 ute has the same gauge as the sedan,
I have a series 2 xr6 sedan, even when I change from cool to hotter thermostat it never shows that much of a difference on the gauge, mines usually in the N range even on the highway, i'm not sure how familiar you are with thermostats, but usually they have the temperature stamped on it somewhere.
maybe the thermostat is a dud? given it is very easy to pull out I would be checking it out first, the only other thing I can think of is the fans may be staying on ?let us know how you go.

Edit: I cant speak for other au owners but pretty happy with my heater.

Last edited by mik; 08-07-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Johnybravo. XRs do not have Power/Economy modes for the trans. They run what is called adaptive shift, which the ecu will select from 1 of 5 tables for shift variables based on driver input. You can force max Performance or max Economy though by following the below procedure:

1. Stop the vehicle, apply handbrake and turn off ignition.
2. Apply the brake pedal and move the gear selector to: 1 for max performance, 2 for max economy or 3 for Adaptive.
3. Turn the key to ON and wait for the airbag light to go out
4. Move gear selector to R (Reverse)
5. Move gear selector to P (Park) and start the vehicle.

Hope that helps. I am guessing your XR is also a VCT engine. These are also known to be a little more thirsty.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post