Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Why Ford should Build a New Boss 351

I had this same idea:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/0...tang-boss-351/

Excerpt:
Quote:
5. Heritage.
The S197 platform is retro by nature, and Ford loves calling on the Mustang’s storied past. This was never more true with the Boss 302. Ford repeated history in more ways than one, building the Boss 302 for only two years and following the styling cues of both the 1969 and 1970 models. Just like decades ago, Ford built a racing version (two actually) and won a championship. And what did Ford do the following year back in 1971? They built a Boss 351. Yes, the car isn’t as famous, beautiful or as desirable as the Boss 302, but that doesn’t necessarily matter. If Ford wanted to truly follow the Mustangs history and continue the Boss name, they could have gone to the 351 and done a single year production run just like they did in 1971.
4. A ready-to-go powertrain.
Assuming Ford did want to build a Mustang Boss 351, then what engine would they use? The answer is relatively simple. The current Shelby GT500′s 5.8-liter V8 measures out at 354.6 cubic inches of displacement. To us, that’s close enough, and we’re sure Ford could get the V8 down to 351cid if they wanted to. Converted to a high-revving naturally aspirated setup, the engine could easily produce north of 500 horsepower and 450 lb-ft torque.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Why Ford should Build a New Boss 351

I'd be curious if a 5.8 NA was any more effective than the current 5L NA though. More torque, quite likely, but im not sure if its power delivery and track manners would be better.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I'm sure a BOSS 351 GT would be a huge hit!

If the current 5.0 n/a motor makes 420hp in the Mustang GT, the 5.8 would be making over 475hp with a 7000rpm redline.

And imagine the noise it would make!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

It's not that simple though. The 5.8 is based on the 5.4, effectively making it a first generation modular. The 5.0 is next gen, has VCT available on all 4 cams and other goodies.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wish they would just do us all a favour and start making a 5.8 Coyote, to sell alongside the 5.0.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

Do it !!!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I wish they would just do us all a favour and start making a 5.8 Coyote, to sell alongside the 5.0.
Probably too much overlap with 6.2 BOSS.

A different time maybe they would've done a tall deck Coyote instead of BOSS, but I suspect its roots from the Hurricane project date earlier than Coyote and Ford all but admitted they felt they were vulnerable to GM and Chrysler based on capacity of their F series V8's.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wait, Ford should put effort and money into removing the supercharger a superseded engine (designed in its form to be blown anyway), in a soon to be superseded model...just to have a badge name?

I'd rather see ford put their effort into the 50th anniversary mustangs, and some exotic killing 2015 mustangs!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Wait, Ford should put effort and money into removing the supercharger a superseded engine (designed in its form to be blown anyway), in a soon to be superseded model...just to have a badge name?

I'd rather see ford put their effort into the 50th anniversary mustangs, and some exotic killing 2015 mustangs!
maybe they could destroke the 4.0l to 3.5l
and fit ecoboost
Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
It's not that simple though. The 5.8 is based on the 5.4, effectively making it a first generation modular. The 5.0 is next gen, has VCT available on all 4 cams and other goodies.
I thought falcon gt with 5.0 didn't have all cams managed with VCT (ie one set only) as the PCM in the falcon didn't have the capacity and hence the Miami starting lower power output than coyote before the supercharger.
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's correct but that's in Falcon. Mustang has a different ECU and both 3.7 V6 and 5.0 V8 have VCT phasers on all cams. 5.4 only ever has VCT available in the 3V models.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just thinking the other day it would be cool if Ford did a 429 to go up against the Camaro 427. Dodge should up the SRT8 Challenger to a 426 Hemi. Then it would be just like the good old days!
Seriously though, I am hoping the next gen Mustang will offer a 5.0 V8 EcoBoost and 3.5 V6 EcoBoost in addition to the 4cyl EcoBoost. That would put Ford in the same league as Mercedes.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They've got the 777 motor they could dust off, but being a BOSS motor, which is larger and heavier than 5.4/5.8, it would be a bit big block vs small block.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Falco GT51
Blue Blood

How hard would it be to for Ford to change the 5l Coyote to a 5.8? Is is as easy as changing the crank and rods?
2005 BA GT Mll #0697.
1979 XD 5.8 X Pursuit
2015 FGX XR8