Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Massive Recall

I don't have any link for this but I heard on the news that Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Nissan (?) are starting a massive recall for faulty airbags.

Found one so I wasn't hearing things

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-1...m-cars/4623952

Airbag fault prompts global recall of 3m cars

Posted 3 hours 50 minutes ago
Photo: The fault related to front passenger-side airbags affects vehicle manufactured by Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mazda. (TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA : AFP)

Up to 3.39 million vehicles made by major Japanese manufacturers will be recalled worldwide because of possible problems with airbags.
Four carmakers - Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda - separately said they would recall a combined 3.39 million vehicles globally in accordance with local regulations, all citing the same malfunction of passenger-side airbags.
Japan's transport ministry, which received recall reports from the manufacturers, said the number of vehicles affected would reach 2.92 million. There was no explanation for the discrepancy in the total.
A Toyota spokesman said his company alone was recalling a total of 1.73 million vehicles, manufactured between November 2000 and March 2004 in Japan or abroad, due to a defect in passenger-side airbags.
Toyota USA said in a statement it was recalling 170,000 vehicles in the United States, out of the company's total recall.
"The involved vehicles are equipped with front passenger airbag inflators which could have been assembled with improperly manufactured propellant wafers," the statement said.
"Improperly manufactured propellant wafers could cause the inflator to rupture and the front passenger airbag to deploy abnormally in the event of a crash."
The company's spokesman in Japan said this abnormal inflation "could also burn part of the vehicle's inside and cause fire".
However, he said, there were no recorded instances of this happening.
Nissan and Honda released statements giving similar explanations.

LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Massive Recall

what a logistical nightmare for every one involved.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ouch.... The cost to conduct this recall would be huge....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Going to be hard to track down a lot of these cars as they were probably sold on by now.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post