Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fuel System & QH Questions

Hi everyone i've got a could of questions about the fuel system that i'm going to run for my V8 conversion and also about the moates quarterhorse tuning system.
1. How do i work out how much fuel pressure i need to run my motor is basically a stock 302 block with AFR heads and a mild cam. I was hoping to use the stock 24lb injectors and just up the fuel pressure. How do i work this out or do i need bigger injectors ??
2. I'm planning to use a J3 chip and moates quarterhorse to tune this motor. I was going to get a basic tune for my mods and then play around with it form there. Once the chip is installed can i still go to ford and get the ECU programed to my Keys and BCM and then reactivate smartshield so i works as normal ?? Also are there any good distributors in NSW who could make me up i base tune i provide me with all the gear i need ??
3. One last question do i need to run wideband O2 sensors with the QH or does it work fine with the standard sensors ??

Thanks in advance for any answers Cheers Lorenz

Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: Fuel System & QH Questions

Hi Lorenz.

Not 100% sure on the injectors and fuel pressure, but I am about to upgrade my 5.6L to AFR165s. Tickford just upped the fuel pressure on the 5.6L engine and kept the stock injectors. In my reading for head and cam upgrade to the 5.6, I did not read I had to change the injectors, so you should be in luck. Don't quote me, but I think the T3s went from the standard 250KPa to 300KPa. When you change the fuel pressure, you will have to change the hi and low injector slopes - this can all be done with the QH.

Why both the J3 and the QH? They both fit on the same edge connector of the ECU. I am not sure about the flashing to match the ECU and BEM. You will be able to get them matched and then just reload the tune with the QH. Also, the smartshield is a parameter that can be enabled and disabled with the QH, so you should be able to manage it.

No, you do not need to run wideband(s) with the QH, it will run fine on the NBs. At least one wideband is a good idea though when you are tuning yourself. It will give you a totally independant reading on your AFRs and assist you to fine tune the car.

Hope that helps mate.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Stu that helps clear a few things up. If the stock injectors kept up with the T3 motor i don't think they should have much trouble with my motor. Maybe a T3 pressure reg would suit ??
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
Maybe a T3 pressure reg would suit ??
Pleasure mate. Happy to help.

I am not sure how available T3 regs would be? It might be worth buying an aftermarket.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With regards to using qh and disabling smartsheild it works a treat!! I could get my car going with different key/BEM/ECU having disabled the smartsheild with the QH and then I enabled it after I had driven it down to my mechanics. He then plugged in his programmer thingy and programmed the ECU/BEM and keys. Worked perfectly

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Pleasure mate. Happy to help.

I am not sure how available T3 regs would be? It might be worth buying an aftermarket.

Stu
I'll give ford a call tomorow and find out i think they'd NAL like most other parts for Au V8s But you never know
Old 13-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'll give ford a call tomorow and find out i think they'd NAL like most other parts for Au V8s But you never know
Cheers, let us know how you go. I am sure there would be few T3 drivers out there that would like to know if you can still get them.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 13-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Cheers, let us know how you go. I am sure there would be few T3 drivers out there that would like to know if you can still get them.

Cheers
Stu
Rang Thompson ford they tell me they are pretty sure they are still available but costs over 500 bucks.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Rang Thompson ford they tell me they are pretty sure they are still available but costs over 500 bucks.
Holy poop. I am guessing aftermarket would be the way to go?

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 13-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

I seem to remember that the Tickford 'modified' one on the 5.6's is nothing more than a standard 5.0L reg which they literally whacked with a spanner to open it more. I dont see a need to change fuel pressure etc on a 5.0L.

RE the Quarterhorse itself, I bought mine direct from Moates in the states, cheaper and easier. They wont provide you with a tune to use though, only the hardware.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Cheers Aust. Moates in the States definitely the way to go.

Knowing how difficult it is to get the injector slopes correct to accommodate the adjusted fuel pressure, I would like to think that the modified reg was more than just 'Whack of the spanner'. Upping the reg pressure is definitely a workaround mod, rather than changing injectors. Both are very valid and require tune change either way.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 13-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Could be wrong about it but I dont remember it being any different part to the standard 5.0L one. In which case there wasn't much they could have changed.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Could be wrong about it but I dont remember it being any different part to the standard 5.0L one. In which case there wasn't much they could have changed.
Externally they are close to identical. I can guarantee though they are very different fuel pressures. This is one of the things I had to address within my tune when converting from 5L to T3 5.6L.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 14-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
I seem to remember that the Tickford 'modified' one on the 5.6's is nothing more than a standard 5.0L reg which they literally whacked with a spanner to open it more. I dont see a need to change fuel pressure etc on a 5.0L.

RE the Quarterhorse itself, I bought mine direct from Moates in the states, cheaper and easier. They wont provide you with a tune to use though, only the hardware.
I thought i would have to run more pressure to keep up with my head and intake modifications. Do you have a link to where you bought your QH form ??
Old 14-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

http://moates.net

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

This user likes this post: