Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
nat75

Default xr8 / typhoon lower intake

Hi,

i had a search for it but could find an answer, can an ba/bf lower air intake be fitted to an au air box (S3 xr6). does any one have any photos of it in an au xr?

or failing that, does anyone know if the ba/bf air box (with lower scoop) be fitted to an au?

nat75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ba airbox will not fit I have tried I made my own lower intake I just plastic welded a bit of PVC pipe into the front of the airbox and it works well

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
BlueBloodAU
Just keeps gettin' better

I wondered this too. But decided to go with a big mouth cai myself.

Neat install there au3xr6! Almost looks factory.

Nat75, if there's enough room you could always use a rectangle pvc pipe instead of a round one.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
nat75

many thanks au3xr6. i think that will be the way that i go (same result, less $$$).
Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I'm trying this on my fairlane at the moment..
I know for a fact the BA airbox wont work, so you must modify your AU one..
Also the typhoon lower intake is too long for the space behind the headlight. (well it is on my lane.. may be different on standard Au, not sure)
so, If it is too long it will have to be modified as well, or you can set it back further into the airbox..
Probably easier just going with what is pictured above..

Cheers
Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
nat75

i had a good look at both an xr8/tyhpoon lower intake and my air box, dont really think they will work with out a lot of mods.

decided it will be easier to do a pvc type second intake.

thanks heaps everyone
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the fitting I used I got from bunnings it was the right size without cutting it . it was white but after welding it in I preped it and painted it with vinyl spray
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat75
i had a good look at both an xr8/tyhpoon lower intake and my air box, dont really think they will work with out a lot of mods.

decided it will be easier to do a pvc type second intake.

thanks heaps everyone

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am moddin a ba air box for mine. first had to cut a section out of the bottom and then i used gladrap and masking tape an ran a couple of layers of fiberglass over the hole, fixed the bottem. next put the top on and try'd to close the bonnet but couldnt so took a bit out off the sides and glue'd the top back down. im runnin lpg and a pod filter aswell and am just gettin the pipin sorted now but looks good. lots of hassle and if i had of known wouldnt have started.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
nat75

Default Re: xr8 / typhoon lower intake

i did a pvc type secondary intake using the 90/100mm pipe. was very easy and appears to work well. not sure if it makes any more real power but i think the throttle response appears to be better (might be just in my head). i also added a xr8/xr6t intake snorkel and an ss induction air scoop (the one behind the grill). looks good and appears to work well.

happy as.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
AU101

What size pipe did you use au3xr6? How long did you make it? Any chance of a pic under the box to see how you connected it?
AU101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
LXL15

This might be a stupid question, but where does this extra intake get the air from? I had a look in my Fairmont, and I can't see a gap for the cold air to get in, unless it flows up from the bottom grill? Or does this intake just alter the airflow into the box, rather than adding to it?

I'm probably missing something here...
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it was 4" I just looked for a fitting that looked about the right length. as far as fitting it is concerned, after making a close fitting hole I plastic welded it placeso it is there for good. The area behind the headlight has a lot of air forced in once the car is moving so it is a good spot for a secondary intake thats why the put the second intake there on the BA.

Rides:

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 05-04-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Xr6 NA
Starter Motor

Quick question I know it's been 2 years but is the xr8 and typhoon lower the exact same?
Xr6 NA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post