Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
ZXTC
Starter Motor

Default Milky Oil -

Hi All

Please see attached pic.
milky.jpg
My AU is using coolant still, rough idle at start up and know having major problems even starting the car. It is like it is still in gear.
Have milky oil and some white smoke.
I assume head has a hole in it but read a post on it could be the inlet manifold gasket?
ANy ideas?

CHeers Mick

ZXTC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Default Re: Milky Oil -

It will be a blown head gasket
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
ZXTC
Starter Motor

Bugger

How much for a head to be replaced if anyone knows?
I have changed heads on other cars before also.

AT the wreckers they charge around $1000 for a low k motor to be fitted.

Cheers Mick
Old 18-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

6 or 8 - will have a bearing on cost. It will probably be only a head gasket. I just did my 8 for about $400 in parts with my own labour.

Good luck
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
ZXTC
Starter Motor

Hi

It's a 6, series one.
I will get some quotes in the morning and post up a rough price for reference.

Cheers Mick
Old 18-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
peterljohnson55

Is something like this an option?
I have not a clue abiut the risks on such purchase, tho.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU2-AU3-X...item51a01a734b
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these engines are cheap from the wreckers as the rarely fail so they are plentiful you should get one for $1000 or less fitted or if you want to fit it about $200 to $300

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day ZXTC, please check your transmission also, theres a chance milkshake has gotten in there also. I woudnt drive it till its cleaned & or repaired.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it were milky in the coolant bottle it could be transmission but if the engine oil is milky it's the head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
G'day ZXTC, please check your transmission also, theres a chance milkshake has gotten in there also. I woudnt drive it till its cleaned & or repaired.

cheers, Maka

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
AUFanboy

I would replace the whole engine, they're cheap, rarely fail, and the factory head gasket seal is the best you will ever get. MLS gaskets need a very clean flat surface to seal, and standard composite ones don't last very long on these engines (see E-series forum endless head gasket tails of woe).
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
I would replace the whole engine, they're cheap, rarely fail, and the factory head gasket seal is the best you will ever get. MLS gaskets need a very clean flat surface to seal, and standard composite ones don't last very long on these engines (see E-series forum endless head gasket tails of woe).
Disposable society? What happened to 'better the devil you know'? Sure, go and buy another engine that you have no idea of it's history.

If you are planning to hang on to your car for a while, my thoughts are to repair. For me, the unknown of what you may get, falls way short of knowing what you have got. Within reason of course.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
ZXTC
Starter Motor

Hi Guys

Just a quick update.
I used a bottle of this http://rislone.com.au/catalog/view/9...top-leak-41109
and i haven't lost any coolant and the oil is not milky anymore plus the car is starting and running much better. This has been for 5 days now plus a 280 km counrty trip.
Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.
Going to be upgrading the car in the next month or so, so fingers crossed.

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
peterljohnson55

Quote:
And you've driven it 280kms? Brave boy. If it spills its guts entirely don't be surprised. ope its not all over any roads I drive on or your driveway.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Its not unknown for a headgasket repair in a bottle to last some kays it just depends on how bad the gasket has let go- at best it'll delay the inevitable for a little while so old mate can save some cash for the proper repair or get rid of the car as it is.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
EL.50
Just cruisin'

I've used chemi-weld for a blown head gasket in a corolla engine I had years ago, I drove it for a good 12 months after, without issue.
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends where the gasket is gone, if it is only between an oil and water gallery these repairs can last a long time but if the leak also involves the pressure of the cylinder it generally won't last long at all. technology has come a long way from the old bars leaks days , modern leak repair formulas are quite good
Quote:
Its not unknown for a headgasket repair in a bottle to last some kays it just depends on how bad the gasket has let go- at best it'll delay the inevitable for a little while so old mate can save some cash for the proper repair or get rid of the car as it is.

cheers, Maka

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
ZXTC
Starter Motor

Will keep everyone updated on how this goes.
Plan is to upgrade my car then fix or sell as is.
I also drive 60 kms a day to work and back so all good at this stage. Just buys some more time to look for another car. Not much around atm.

Cheers Mick
Old 27-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXTC View Post
Will keep everyone updated on how this goes.
Plan is to upgrade my car then fix or sell as is.
I also drive 60 kms a day to work and back so all good at this stage. Just buys some more time to look for another car. Not much around atm.

Cheers Mick
Fix the head gasket is my recommendation. Better the devil you know. How many times have we gone and bought a new car to avoid such a problem only to find why the previous owner of your new car sold it.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

2 users like this post: