Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
AU_Steve
Fiesta & Territory Owner

Default Fabric insert in Au Door Trim

Has anybody replaced/retrimed the fabric insert in the door trims? I haven't taken of the door trims off yet as I thought I might save a bit of time if somebody has already had a got at it and some advice.
My wife (bless her sole) has bought me a sports leather wheel with the red inserts for Chrissie and thought that I might start colour coding the interior a bit.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all

AU_Steve

AU_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

JC has done a full retrim of AU doors.. did a really good, neat job of it too.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Is there any pics of JC's trim?
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

AU Steve, are you speaking about the curtain-style insert behind aft of the door handle? I'd really like some of them as well.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres one:

And heres mine:

Mine is leather so it costed a lot more. JC used Vinyl/Leather, and did it himself, so it was much cheaper.

You just need some glue, and some vinyl from Clark Rubber or where-ever, and away you go. I believe JC glued his vinyl on top of the fabric. Don't quote me on it though.
Old 23-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Gosh, I really like yours.

Very nice!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 23-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
couz^man

nice now iam temped to do something along them lines ))
couz^man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

They are very easy to do. The panel is easily removed from the door trim - just a pity it isn't serviced separately by Ford. I did mine in charcoal cloth to match the seat covers. Also did the armrests and centre console lid in black suede - again to match the custom seat covers I had made. I didn't like the blue leather everywhere - I'm NOT a boy racer
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Dauphin
Irregular member

I've got a 75th Anniversary badge over the hole above the door speaker. Do you think it's glued on or will pop out with a screwdriver?

Old 23-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
They are very easy to do. The panel is easily removed from the door trim - just a pity it isn't serviced separately by Ford. I did mine in charcoal cloth to match the seat covers. Also did the armrests and centre console lid in black suede - again to match the custom seat covers I had made. I didn't like the blue leather everywhere - I'm NOT a boy racer
How do you remove the panel from the door trim? I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so just did mine by gluing vinyl over the top of the cloth. If I could get them off properly, I would look at doing them in black/dark grey leather.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
how'd you get the red lights behind the Trip Computer and stuff? or did your car just come that way. im sure the first series of AU's had orange backlit displays... but a T3? :retard:
Old 24-12-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The T-Series, actually light up blue, and the warning indicators light up red.
Old 24-12-2005, 04:13 AM   #13
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blue? i thought they lit up white. Jeff, did you do a black leather conversion or have you just covered the blue with seat covers. Either way looks good. ;)

Glenno
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
carratt
I Love My T3

Quote:
They are very easy to do. The panel is easily removed from the door trim
Quote:
How do you remove the panel from the door trim? I couldn't figure out a way to do it,
I'd also be really interested in knowing how to remove the panel from the trim cause I'm doing something along these lines shortly
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
T3man
Banned

JC> The T-series have a removable panel - all other cars have a glued in panel but it can be removed with some patience as I did it to a Forte set of trims that I bought. I kept my originals in tact.

Glenn> I don't like leather as I slide around too much AND I don't like the cold in winter or hot in summer that leather gives. So I just had some custom covers made up in cloth and velour - the leather is still underneath but the new covers have a backing that doesn't slide on the leather so the covers hold me in place really good on those faster corners

PS. HLC> Maybe I'd tell you except I don't like being called a retard by a P-Plate D1ckhead!
Old 24-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks T3man. One more thing to keep me busy over the holidays now!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #17
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I've got a 75th Anniversary badge over the hole above the door speaker. Do you think it's glued on or will pop out with a screwdriver?
Should be able to pick it out with your fingers, or a screwdriver. Comes out easy enough.
Old 24-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
PS. HLC> Maybe I'd tell you except I don't like being called a retard by a P-Plate D1ckhead!
:

the :retard: call was meant for FoMoCo... thinking that they put left over orange back lit displays in T3's
Old 24-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
T3man
Banned

OK I'll forgive you this time ...

My car is a TE. When I changed to the TS dash, the display on the CC/mesage centre was orange/red and had clear lighting for the buttons. [Well, Ford put blue condoms over the original globes but they failed to make the light coloured so it just appeared as white backlighting.]

I assume it (the dash) must have come out of a series one car although I was assured it was from a series two. Anyhow, the wiring all fitted together and everything works properly so that was the main thing. BUT the orange display p!ssed me off. I pulled the unit out to see if I could change the LCD backlighting but couldn't do it so took the easier way out and matched the rest of my dash to the CC. The backlighting for all switches etc was dead easy but I had to send the radio away to have the LCD display changed in it. Only cost $200 so that was fair enough I thought in the interest of having everything matching. And while some may think it isn't cool to have a series one "colour" in a series three it doesn't worry me in the least - my car is now quite unique, it is still comprised of all genuine Ford bits, and it suits ME.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
OK I'll forgive you this time ...

My car is a TE. When I changed to the TS dash, the display on the CC/mesage centre was orange/red and had clear lighting for the buttons. [Well, Ford put blue condoms over the original globes but they failed to make the light coloured so it just appeared as white backlighting.]

I assume it (the dash) must have come out of a series one car although I was assured it was from a series two. Anyhow, the wiring all fitted together and everything works properly so that was the main thing. BUT the orange display p!ssed me off. I pulled the unit out to see if I could change the LCD backlighting but couldn't do it so took the easier way out and matched the rest of my dash to the CC. The backlighting for all switches etc was dead easy but I had to send the radio away to have the LCD display changed in it. Only cost $200 so that was fair enough I thought in the interest of having everything matching. And while some may think it isn't cool to have a series one "colour" in a series three it doesn't worry me in the least - my car is now quite unique, it is still comprised of all genuine Ford bits, and it suits ME.
ohhhhhhhh ok. i like the red on the radio. but the trip computer and stuff doesnt look as good IMO. but unique, YES.
Old 26-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #21
AU_Steve
Fiesta & Territory Owner

Thanks Guys for the replies.
I fitted the new Steering wheel and it looks so good. The combination of the grey, black and red really suits the Fairmonts interior and regency red exterior. I'll take soon photos latter on. JC, how did you do your inserts if you didn't remove them? Did you try to remove them or where they glued in to well to pry them off?
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner but Christmas with the kids was a blast.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to All

AU_Steve
AU_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post