Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #121
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: B triples coming to a Hume near you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Bring them in -speed restrict them to 90km/hr.
Simons national Carriers already restrict all their rigs to 90km/hr.
These guys are easy to pass and in turn have no need to tailgate.
Why 90? when the Ford / CEVA have been doing 100 for over 15 years safely from Geelong to Melbourne many times per day and Bunkers pulling them to Perth at 100

Simons have 90 limited for fuel and insurance costs reduction, it is their business choice

To me I can't see what the issue is, they will be on freeways/motorways from Melbourne to Sydney, what is 10m/h difference on a frewway gonna do? **** all is what!!!!

And IF they run on normal roads (which happens now in States other Victoria) running them at 90km/h just makes them a road block, just like NSW L & P platers, and it is easier to overtake a 80/90 km/h car than a B-Triple. BTW, I have driven one, not for great distances and for promotional purposes only, there is no big deal.

Last edited by Trevor 57; 07-01-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #122
EA30TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290 View Post
You'll find that with all tri axle groupings they can run at 82.5 ton minimum and 90.5 ton with HML concession.

What kind of prime movers are they going to use ?
Should be 600hp minimum running Syd-Mel on B triples.
You can spot the people on here with no idea, thankfully we have peopel with ideas. Spot on Mr CAMS290!

The big issues:
1. The Hume has gradients where other highways and areas are relatively flat, so imagine when Mr Linfox gets his way and points his automatic trucks with junior drivers up the road with the minimum horsepower - in the southern highlands fog they'll be doing 25km/h, I'd be doing three times that. Triples need to have min torque such as the 2050ft-lbs to maintain minimum safe speeds, but I'll bet you'll be able to run them with the 1650-1850 base engines.
2. It will be just like B-Doubles - subbies, interstate drivers etc will get paid zero extra for breaking combinations and now you'll have two A-trailers to deal with as is their dangerous design when loaded, tipping on their nose, or drivers having to roll bodies back or keep teh A trailer under a b trailer or on the Prime mover. Just as said so far, B-doubles were going to be depot-depot - well, what's a depot 20 years on from that crazy talk?

The ATA and greedy magnates are directing talk to safety of the technical combination which is fine, but I lost count of teh times I spent running around depots stuffing around for up to two hours to get a b-double hooked up and out the gate - I was stuffed before I got past Uncle Leo's at the crossroads.

Oh, forgot, with work diaries I ditched the game anyhow...
EA30TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #123
EA30TH

I ma actually of the view a double road train comprising the PM, a 45 footer, a dolly, and a second 45 footer is a way better idea for the hume. With the latest dolly designs and suspensions, and possibly a steering dolly, these remove all the depot level safety and time issues of an A-trailer, lest two of them! Add compulsory ABS, EBS, RFS, and TC (including on trailers and dollies) and the combination would be plenty safe.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #124
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
The guy was(is) a shonk. Lenders I know had him on disaster watch for 2 years prior. Had a gambling issue (allegedly) That's his defense anyway. Took off the the US with staff super money and what was owed to subbies. It's a miracle he hasn't had his legs broken to be honest..
Exactly right, I met him a couple of times and he was a bit of a male chicken lol
I was only there for 18 months and id love to get my money's worth out of him, I got paid no super at all
Anyway doesn't matter now lol he's the one who'll be living in the shadows for the rest of his life
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #125
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Mercedes-Benz, Scania and Volvo have the engine horsepower badges on their trucks, spotted a new Volvo Cab-Over with a nice "700" on the side as I was passing it near Mittagong on the Hume on Monday morning.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #126
nb_351
building the xe...

Scania have a 730hp v8 too
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #127
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351 View Post
Scania have a 730hp v8 too
This is the reason Volvo brought out their 750hp , but I don't think Aus will see it....yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #128
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

I dont know how the ovlov and sweede cooling packages would g with our gross and ambient temps.
What i like are the tq ratings.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #129
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

My work have ordered 20 more Kenworth's but are struggling to get them from Kenworth.
The Volvo's and Scania's are meant to be beautiful trucks inside but atleast you can rebuild a Kenworth motor after 1,000,000 km's

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #130
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
My work have ordered 20 more Kenworth's but are struggling to get them from Kenworth.
The Volvo's and Scania's are meant to be beautiful trucks inside but atleast you can rebuild a Kenworth motor after 1,000,000 km's
I didn't know that Volvo and Scania engines couldn't be rebuilt ?

psst, we've got at least 5 Volvo's that have done(or are getting close to) 2 million k's on original engines.
Old 15-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #131
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see why you are keeing that quiet, given good maintenance and responsible drivers there is no reason why Euro's can't get high K's
Old 22-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #132
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

My comment was based on a recent discussion with our State Manager.
Maybe it's easier or cheaper to rebuild a Kenworth then the Euro donks!?!

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #133
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicko View Post
Good idea - but could only see it working on dual or triple lane highways. We have that now with caravans doing 20kph below the limit and having a convoy sitting behind them waiting to 'create' a passing opportunity. Unless you know the road like the back of your hand you have no idea where are the best places to pass (exclusing overtaking lanes).

Agree - that Joe average wants to pass and remain below 100kph (his speedo reading - not the GPS 100kph) for fear of getting caught by radar coming to him.
Radars cannot get you while you are overtaking a truck although lidars and fixed speed cameras can....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #134
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

linfox in kalgoorlie have a 660 8X4 pulling triple fuel tankers up north of here, Leonora was the hottest town in Australia last week and i saw it wheeling through town so the heat must bother them to much
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #135
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
linfox in kalgoorlie have a 660 8X4 pulling triple fuel tankers up north of here, Leonora was the hottest town in Australia last week and i saw it wheeling through town so the heat must bother them to much
Its a myth, to name a few Linfox are pulling triples up here with Mercedes and Volvos, Centurion are pulling 110t with 500 hp Volvo triples, and this joint is pulling 165t with 700 and 660 Volvos in the Pilbara in mid 40 degrees.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #136
EA30TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Its a myth, to name a few Linfox are pulling triples up here with Mercedes and Volvos, Centurion are pulling 110t with 500 hp Volvo triples, and this joint is pulling 165t with 700 and 660 Volvos in the Pilbara in mid 40 degrees.

Yes but as you can see they are re-engineered to provide special cooling not on teh standard trucks. Similarly wheelbase and tanks aren't factory. Good to see this can be done on euros now.
Old 25-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #137
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA30TH View Post
Yes but as you can see they are re-engineered to provide special cooling not on teh standard trucks. Similarly wheelbase and tanks aren't factory. Good to see this can be done on euros now.
The 3rd axle isn't standard but the wheelbase and tanks would be.

The tank behind the cab would be for hydraulic oil.