Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Reverse Camera mounting

I've a baby arriving shortly so I've lashed out and bought a reversing camera to suit my double DIN head unit in anticipation of when the little tyke is running about - I've a longish, narrow drive that comes up past the back door which is prime play area for littlest I figure.
The camera is a small square shape and comes with a mounting bracket that I could just stick directly on the underside of the trim that sits above the number plate but I'd rather a (much) neater finish. If anyone has mounted a camera on an AU sedan I'd love to see pics - even if you're not happy with the outcome I can probably learn from it(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Trialling uploading a relevant pic using tapatalk...

Well that worked ok. I figure is need to cut into the precise centre to sink the camera in there, or I need to go outside of the number plate lights. Or can I maybe try it inside the top edge of the back window???
TE2 #116

Last edited by Silver'; 08-12-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
rmack

Default Re: Reverse Camera mounting

I have mounted my camera under the rear garnish.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Oh ok, so it in front of a number plate light but not blocking it? I might go try and see if I can figure that out. Do you worry about someone trying to pull it off?
TE2 #116
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
rmack

From normal viewing height it looks very OEM. It is securely mounted by a threaded shaft (6mm) that protrudes through the garnish with a nylon lock nut on the end.

I will take a few more shots tomorrow.

Here is a view from inside the car.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

You got me all inspired earlier so I've been tinkering away tonight. I cut into the centre of the garnish and mounted it up in there. I actually cut further than I needed to which is a pity but it still looks pretty stealthy I think.
TE2 #116
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
You got me all inspired earlier so I've been tinkering away tonight. I cut into the centre of the garnish and mounted it up in there. I actually cut further than I needed to which is a pity but it still looks pretty stealthy I think.
Pics??
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Sorry, was still outside finishing it off. By the time I had seats, console, boot trim out, replaced a couple of bulbs while I was there, fiddled about with the micro-positioning camera mounting 15 times, dusted off the soldering iron, found my heat shrink and then put it all back together it was LATE! Not the best pastime for my recovery after spending the morning in traction but someone has to set the doctors a challenge right???

OK, pics...

The end result... not as invisible as I'd hoped and I actually removed too much plastic in one place but such is life eh? Overall I'm happy.

I'm using the most flattering angles of course, but it's actually pretty hard to see even when you're looking for it. It would be different if the number plate wasn't black of course. And, it's a huuuuge advantage that the car is silver as the colour of the ABS plastic that I've cut into is very similar to the paint colour.

It's pretty much as good as I think I could have done - but I didn't need to cut quite so high (ie close to the ford badge). The flares in the cuts near the lens end of the camera are to accommodate for the wide-angle of the cam.

This is the original mounting that I tried - pictured with the garnish off. but I forgot to take pics of the final mounting which was very similar, but packed with three (lightweight, racing ;]) washers stuck together with Soudal, to help release the POV from within the confines of the garnish - this meant I could get an almost full view without cutting more plastic away.

No cool parking grids on mine, just a daft warning that will probably get in the way??? Way to go Pioneer *sarcasm*

I actually forgot to completely tighten the camera before putting the garnish back on so it pushed back into the garnish during final assembly - which is what happens when you stubbornly refuse to stop even though you're dead tired! Will fix soon, but it's very functional as is. No-one to blame but myself if I run over the kid's stuff now!

Al.
TE2 #116
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
EL.50
Just cruisin'

That is excellent!! Very stealthy