Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Collant Warning issues...

Hi all,

I have yet another issues with the V8 fairmont conversion etc with my wagon.

The collant warning light is permantently lit up on the instrument cluster. I have checked and for some reason even though it was a series 3 wagon the reservoir tank didn't have a sensor. As a result the actual wiring loom appear to not have the wiring for the sensor (Drivers side engine bay loom).

The fairlane though had a sensor for the coolant.

Is there a way around this? Can I wire the coolant sensor in myself or is there a way of tricking it into thinking the coolant is full??

Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Collant Warning issues...

Quick way could be to remove the globe out of the cluster. Not sure why it would be coming on if there is no wiring for it....
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
Quick way could be to remove the globe out of the cluster. Not sure why it would be coming on if there is no wiring for it....
If I understand correctly OP is using a Fairlane cluster with a wagon wiring loom? If so, the sensor is probably wired to be normally closed (only switches OFF once the level is sufficient), so that a low fluid level OR failed sensor will light the dash warning.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

just take the globe out man
Old 30-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Correct. Sensor is wired normally closed.
A resistor of a certain value between the connector in the engine bay will make the cluster believe it is there.

I am speaking from experience that this works.

I would be surprised is your loom doesn't have it.
My base model series 1.5 ute did (although it is a 6).
The connector is on the loom branch between the fuse box and the alternator on mine.

If it's not there I have a fairly trick method in order to add it. Time consuming but looks good and worked for what was missing for the Fairmont dash.

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 30-11-2012 at 12:42 AM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
Correct. Sensor is wired normally closed.
A resistor of a certain value between the connector in the engine bay will make the cluster believe it is there.

I am speaking from experience that this works.

I would be surprised is your loom doesn't have it.
My base model series 1.5 ute did (although it is a 6).
The connector is on the loom branch between the fuse box and the alternator on mine.

If it's not there I have a fairly trick method in order to add it. Time consuming but looks good and worked for what was missing for the Fairmont dash.

Cheers
Well I have checked on my wagon and the connector/loom for.the sensor isn't on the harness. I compared my loom with the fairlane and it is definitely not there. Surprised me too but I checked the photos I have and my series 3 forte wagon.never had any wiring for the coolant...go figure that one out ?

How have you gone about wiring it in? Time consuming means it won't be done immediately but I can find the time over the next couple of weeks. Sounds interesting if you could provide some further info it would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

all the low coolant light sensor needs is a power from the fuse box when the ignition is on.
then run it into the engine bay under the coolant tank into the sensor socket.
then back to the dash and into the loom that plugs into the back of the cluster, in the correct pin position.

http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/au...html#page00010

iirc, the earlier E series falcons didnt have a low coolant sensor wiring setup in the engine bay, if they didnt have ABS fitted?
is this the same with the AU's ?

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: