Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #181
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Why do people keep buying VE commodores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
As much as I like the Holden advertising, I will admit they are starting to have a real "Discount Rug Warehouse" quality about them...always seeming to be having a "big sale"...
Ouch.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #182
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy
Speaking from the point of a 20 year old here;

I live an hour north of Melbourne, so a lot of my mates drive utes for work or play or whatever. I know two people with Falcon utes, one is an FG and one is a BA XL. I know about 10 people with SV6 Commo utes. Simple reason; the FG XR6 utes just don't have the sex appeal of the Commo utes at the moment. The tub on the utes really doesn't appeal at all, and if you put a tray on it, it sits almost level with your back window. So as far as the utes go, unfortunately looks are a big thing...

The sedan factor; again, I know lots of people with VE Omega/Lumina/Berlinas, but I'm the only one in the town (of about 10,000 people total) with P Plates on an XR6 Sedan. The VE is a cheaper second hand car, and you can pick up one, on gas with ~50km on the clock from the auctions for about $15k. But the XT Falcon makes the Omega look like an absolute piece of crap.

Even my mechanic, who is an avid, dedicated, die-hard Holden/Chev man sold his VE SV6 in favour of a Holden Colorado, because the thing was noisy and drove shocking.

Finally; FG Wagon should of been a reality, because anyone who has ridden in the back of an SS Wagon knows its a spine-jarring horror ride and would have had a second look at a Ford Wagon (my mother in law has one, lowered with the Walkinshaw catalogue bolted to it; absolutely shocking).

most people buy utes for work not looks. if that be the case why isnt the commodore ute the number 1 selling ute?? Its because people have moved away from the falcon and commodore ute. people will buy a colarado over a commodore ute and people will buy ranger over falcon ute. the people that buy the VE ute usally dont buy it for work duties. as the falcon cab chassis was brought for that purpose.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #183
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seen an ad today offering the HSV clubsport and maloo. I actually don't mind the senators but I think I'd by a GT over one if I could afford one. I'd never own a maloo. its a ute that doesn't suit my work needs. so unless I win lotto or something I doubt i'd ever own a VE. if I could go for a cheaper then $60 000 new car i'd either go falcon or aurion. more so falcon because I love the way the FG drives!!! as sad as it might sound i'd even consider test driving a hybrid Camry
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #184
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I seen an ad today offering the HSV clubsport and maloo. I actually don't mind the senators but I think I'd by a GT over one if I could afford one. I'd never own a maloo. its a ute that doesn't suit my work needs. so unless I win lotto or something I doubt i'd ever own a VE. if I could go for a cheaper then $60 000 new car i'd either go falcon or aurion. more so falcon because I love the way the FG drives!!! as sad as it might sound i'd even consider test driving a hybrid Camry
I think we're making progress - HSV (there's a cure) have a lame bonnet bulge, but no prize for second - fly your freak flag high!

Hopefully everyone knows that low beam on an FG brings on the middle lights, just like the racers going for it -you would be surprised how many non-FG owners get out of the way. The world is nice, sometimes (man).

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #185
BHDOGS
Banned

Rumour has it vf has been pushed forward and is being released in march now
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #186
UTXR8

for what its worth...Ihave always been a Ford man, but have owned both ford and holdens....im sick of both of them rattling, squeaking and generally going to crap after a few years, so ive just bought an AWD subaru liberty...other than being smaller, this car IMO is miles ahead of both aussie cars in build quality, quietness and refinement and engineering.....ford and holden could learn a lot.....
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #187
weairy
Piston Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
most people buy utes for work not looks. if that be the case why isnt the commodore ute the number 1 selling ute?? Its because people have moved away from the falcon and commodore ute. people will buy a colarado over a commodore ute and people will buy ranger over falcon ute. the people that buy the VE ute usally dont buy it for work duties. as the falcon cab chassis was brought for that purpose.
In that sense people buy them because they're 4wd and dual cab option and have some ground clearance and load bearing capability. Hell, most tradies, especially locally have either gone to using small to mid trucks or F trucks, or dual cab Hiluxs. A little bit apples and oranges.
But yes. Neither the FG or the VE really stack up well as a workute. Why buy a 37k Xr6 Ute when you can buy a 22k Hilux 4x2?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #188
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i look at it this way, if all things being equal you have 100 holden and ford fans lined up with 10 of each segment, wagon, v8 and lwb, the other are just v6 families and fleet,

ford - holden
All things same 100 100
ford drops wagon 90 110
ford drops lwb 80 120
ford drops v8 70 130

people say that wagon v8 etc only account for small amount of the market..... well yes it does, but when people jump ship for that reason, numbers start staking up,

i had a vz commodore for 5 years and it was a brilliant car, flogged the guts out of it and never let me down.. im 6ft 4 and commodores have always been easy to get in and out of, my knees get jammed under the steering wheel from ba-fg

i bought a new bt-50 this year and although i wanted a ranger they are marketed poorly, when a base model mazda is better equiped and 5k cheaper for the same product just different styling its just not justified..... and they amount of mazdas to fords getting round town atm reflects that
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #189
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Buyers jumped ship all right but not to Holden, that brand has suffered significant losses too...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #190
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfish2 View Post
i bought a new bt-50 this year and although i wanted a ranger they are marketed poorly, when a base model mazda is better equiped and 5k cheaper for the same product just different styling its just not justified..... and they amount of mazdas to fords getting round town atm reflects that
Ranger was the second highest selling ute last month after Hilux. I dont think the BT50 was even in the top 5. It only sold about a 1000 units in September too.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #191
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Ranger was the second highest selling ute last month after Hilux. I dont think the BT50 was even in the top 5. It only sold about a 1000 units in September too.

as i said from seeing them around town.... but i guess my statement makes sense, theres a big difference between having a sales number and actually having one delievered to you... 6 months + wait when i wanted to buy one, took 3 weeks for my mazda
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #192
EA30TH

I had a VE Wagon SSV, great car, nothing in the Ford stable to match. That's why people keep buying VE Commdores. Oh, and perhaps resale. I got alright money for the SSV Wagon. I got turned inside out when I sold my last FPV as well as my last Fairmont.

In the mix, the FG and the VE are both very very good cars these days. Quality isn't a match with many imports but in how they drive and what you get in terms of metal for money, all good. The V8 is a big advantage to Holden. It keeps the image buyers there and that flows down.
EA30TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #193
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading the paper the other day (cars guide section from memory, was just a paper laying around at work I picked up) a VE Commodore owner writes in with a question to the motoring expert along the lines of "Why is the ride in my VE so rough now that I have changed from 17" wheels to 20" with low profile tyres, and fitted lowered sports suspension?"

And we wonder what type of people are buying these cars??

EDIT: Sorry I apologise, my memory failed me! It was a VZ Commodore, and here is the article:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-an...modore?from=ms

Last edited by mike_nofx; 11-11-2012 at 10:32 PM.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #194
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Reading the paper the other day (cars guide section from memory, was just a paper laying around at work I picked up) a VE Commodore owner writes in with a question to the motoring expert along the lines of "Why is the ride in my VE so rough now that I have changed from 17" wheels to 20" with low profile tyres, and fitted lowered sports suspension?"

And we wonder what type of people are buying these cars??

EDIT: Sorry I apologise, my memory failed me! It was a VZ Commodore, and here is the article:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-an...modore?from=ms

wow some people have no idea.... i bet it has standard struts in it so they would be bottomimg out nicely, i had standard shocks in mine for a few weeks untill i got the monroe gt sports shortened. was almost as good as standard car after that
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #195
weairy
Piston Broke

VEs ride fine... Until you do basically anything to the suspension or tyres.
Same as any car I spose, but I remember in my old VT, when the suspension was lowered an inch, the rear camber goes like / \
Huge tyre scrubber.

I think this is all coming down to the VE being flogged harder in advertising. I wonder (and maybe someone might know) if the recent sales figures for the Focus Titanium have been anything substancial? That's the only Ford advertising I've seen since the Terri Diesel ads a little while ago.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #196
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The VE is a little better ride wise when lowered.....They have a taller profile tyre standard,(especially in the 17 and 18" range) therefore the tyre absorbs a little more of the bumps in the road surface....Unlike earlier Commodores/Falcons, when fitted with the 17" and 18" range of tyres.

It's only when you start lowering the profile of a tyre and combining it with the lowering of the car, does a cars ride get harsh...(As a general rule of thumb)

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post