Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #91
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Could the Falcon be "shrunk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
Maybe Holden and Ford should have gone off and developed a smaller RWD platform, similar to what Toyota and Subaru have done.

It could have been similar in size to the Torana concept, being smaller in size could have run off 4 cylinder engines and have smaller capacity V8's for the performance versions.

Brand loyalty aside, Holden and Ford enthusiasts both want RWD vehicles...

The Mondeo is FWD and in my opinion not that appealing, a RWD medium sized car would sell very well...
I suspect Commodores Omega platform will be replaced by the new alpha platform which underpins the Cadillac ATS. With 4cyl, 6cyl... and maybe later... 8cyl.

I see a future for Falcon as a luxury item. It doesn't even need to change in size either (maybe chop the boot a bit more), and the medium segment will surpass it and some day the Falcon will be the smallest mid sizer.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #92
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

I see a future for Falcon as a luxury item. It doesn't even need to change in size either (maybe chop the boot a bit more), and the medium segment will surpass it and some day the Falcon will be the smallest mid sizer.

-Ditch the I6,
-cut 100mm from the front
-make it a hatchback (like mondeo)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #93
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
-Ditch the I6,
-cut 100mm from the front
-make it a hatchback (like mondeo)
Nah... there is no real call for that. BMW 5 series GT, and Porsche Panamera are the exceptions. But you don't see anyone copying them.

I have come to accept over this time that the I6 will go. It makes me want to ball like a big girl, but still. It's long and not space efficient, and at best an uncompromising luxury.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #94
stang65
FPRJET

The Falcons problem isn`t it`s size, it just costs a lot more than buying a four cylinder buzz box. I`m mid forties but I have some younger mates mid to late 20's.

They don`t have any passion for cars, one of them swapped his dad his VX commodoore he was driving for his mums toyota corolla, his logic that it`s cheaper to run. We were always brought up with better to have a big car that was alot more solid in the event of an accident and alot more pratical. But these days people don`t want to fork out close to $100 a week for petrol and where are they gonna find $36k for a car , so they buy $20 to $25k four cylinders.
Old 26-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #95
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
The Falcons problem isn`t it`s size, it just costs a lot more than buying a four cylinder buzz box. I`m mid forties but I have some younger mates mid to late 20's.

They don`t have any passion for cars, one of them swapped his dad his VX commodoore he was driving for his mums toyota corolla, his logic that it`s cheaper to run. We were always brought up with better to have a big car that was alot more solid in the event of an accident and alot more pratical. But these days people don`t want to fork out close to $100 a week for petrol and where are they gonna find $36k for a car , so they buy $20 to $25k four cylinders.
I agree with this!! I'm in my late 20s I've been brought up around large and medium sized cars. i think thats why i like cars from medium size upwards alot. never owned a small car but i do know alot of people my age and younger that own small cars. I'd rather a car that i'd like then something small and i didnt like. always was brought up with the "buy a car you like! that way you will look after it!" thing. where as other people just buy a car for transport. dont get me wrong. there are some bloody good small cars out there!! I'm just not that much into them
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post