Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Question digital video camaras.

these things are cheap . my old 8mm one of 1997 is now very outdated . seeing you can get small digital ones from $480 . what should i look for and steer clear of . things like . steady shot . hard drive or disc ? memory cards . i haven't looked into it yet but advice is welcome . . i wont spend more than $700 unless it is strongly advised . and of course if they are all the same in principle . i'm happy to spend $480. what is the best type to go for?

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
fauxpas

My mate has at work has one of the cheaper digital cams and I noticed you can hear the mechanical noise of the tape drive through the built-in mic...

When you play back a recording, you can hear the motor whirring...

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #3
gtfpv
GT

interesting thanks . what is this tape thing . digital tape ?
Old 28-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

after working in a camera store for too bloody long, i find just stick with the big names, Sony, Canon, Panasonic and a few others, and just buy according to your budget in those brands. Saying that, a few of the cheaper brands have alot of their parts supplied to them by sony.

i personally wouldnt go for the ones that burn to dvd, ie Sony DCR-DVD602, i find their rendering is pretty poor and they can sometimes pixelate quite easy, thats personal pref for me though.

even have a look at the companies homepage, and see their rrp and goto somewhere like Dirt Cheap Cameras for a reference of the real price you would be paying, as they are quite cheap, and when i worked in the camera store. they were normally only 2-3% more than our buy price.

Dont know if my 1am rambling made any sense, but yeah ..... good luck
Old 28-11-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

and fauxpas is correct, one of the main complaints of cheaper cam's, like entry level samsungs, were bad for the whirring of the tape drive.

EDIT : I aint saying they are all like that, but yeah.... but for around $700 there are some good featured good quality units out there
Old 28-11-2005, 02:22 AM   #6
gtfpv
GT

great thanks .
Old 28-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I recently bought a Panasonic NVGS35, which is a nice unit. However in the current Retravision catalogue, you can pick up a Canon for around 499 after redemption.

Jump on the Retravision website for a look www.retravision.com.au

If it sounds like a plug, well, it is.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #8
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
...even have a look at the companies homepage, and see their rrp and goto somewhere like Dirt Cheap Cameras for a reference of the real price you would be paying, as they are quite cheap, and when i worked in the camera store. they were normally only 2-3% more than our buy price.
I have heard heaps of good things about these guys. Thanks for reminding me, as I am starting to look for a video camera at the moment. I am mostly interested in the HDD type as I can't be bothered with tapes and discs. Do you know any reason why the HDD types should not be up to scratch?
This one for example?
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post