Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
ab56452001
Starter Motor

Default Dash lights out

Hi, having a bit of trouble with our Au, installed a new stereo using the proper new plug in wiring looms so far so good, then, and this might be a coincidence, the dash/tail lights konk out !, brake lights ok though. So we track down the fuse and replace, but every time we turn the lights on out go the dash illuminating lights !, fuse blown again,the instruments work though, anybody got any ideas, cheers.

ab56452001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Dash lights out

generally if you blow a fuse then there's too much amperage flowing through the circuit. this can be caused by many things, but it's most likely that you've got a short somewhere. I would suggest having a double check that none of your wiring that you've fiddled with is bare, and try it without the new stereo. If all else fails, try and auto-elec. Sometimes I've had problems that I wouldn't be able to work out in a week and an auto-elec has done it for me in minutes.
Old 21-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
ab56452001
Starter Motor

Thanks for reply, ill try take out the new stereo on the wkend, and see how we go,cheers
ab56452001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Stereos have a dimming function for when you turn your lights on. There will be one lead into the stereo is connected to the lighting circuit for this. When it has 12V (ie light power), the stereo dims. I would take a fair guess that this wire is grounded by the stereo, hence when you turn the lights on, you have 12v connecting straight to ground and hence blowing the fuse. I would, using the stereo install instructions to identify the dimming wire and disconnecting it from the car loom (cut it if you have to). This will prove the theory, and if it proves to be so, I would be returning the stereo to place of purchase.

Hope that helps
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post