Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #31
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Service kits off Ebay - any good?

It was an option on some of the models - but the classic was more or less a set 'pack'. I used to own one.
Old 28-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #32
webbiegareth

Ta guys, it really is appreciated. Now I'll know what to expect to pay if a new exhaust is needed. Now I just need to figure out what oil to use!

I thought I had it figured out but in another thread people are saying different oils so now I'm even more confused lol
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #33
webbiegareth

I picked up the car - everything was fitted, and my mechanic said the car drives beautifully Hopefully that means there should be a long life in the old beast yet! I'll keep a careful eye on the oil consumption with the Penrite HPR5 oil, but the engine isn't making any extra noises

The good thing is the DTE looks much better now. After picking it up, I filled it up with the usual regular 91, and it's now got a DTE of 570km's. Previously when I'd fill it up it'd read a DTE of 430km for a full tank. Fingers crossed it's fixed the fuel consumption problem!

He checked out the crack, he said there's a very small crack in a muffler but the real noise is coming from a crack hidden in the engine pipe, so it sounds like I need a whole new front section as well (engine pipe, flex pipe, cat and the rest of it).

He said it's only minor, he's checked the exhaust gases and it's all still OK so I'll leave it until it gets worse
Old 16-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
webbiegareth

Okay guys, just to finish off an old thread... since the new exhaust (pacemakers, high flow cat and 2.5" redback exhaust) have all been fitted, and with all the work done to the car - it's still not complete though... but I tested it out.

I drive my VXII commodore to work every day, it normally gets around 10-11L per 100, that's probably 60% highway, 40% peak hour driving.

I borrowed the AU for a week and drove it, economy mode OFF, driving it to suit the car's torque (slightly differently to the commodore). I started with a full tank, drove for the week, then refilled the tank and did the calculations...

10.4L/100 for that same mix of driving as the Commodore. So, I think it's safe to say the car is now running far better than it was

Mind you it chews through the petrol when the girlfriend drives it, but I think it's her driving style plus the fact she always has the A/C on!

It's still got a random "shake" at idle, which is probably either the coilpack or inlet manifold, that'll be sorted out soon.

Last edited by webbiegareth; 16-04-2012 at 12:40 PM.