Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
blockhead83

Default What are my chances?

I've just picked my car up from the local ford dealer after having the bushes replaced in the diff,axles seals replaced, a service and a few other bits and pieces.

I got the ford dealer to do the bushes because they were charging $750 and everyone else quoted over a grand.

Anyway I notice on the way home that the diff now makes a heap more noise. I know that the new bushes will transmit a little extra noise into the car but this is a lot louder than it was when i dropped it off. Diff whine sounds like a taxi with 900,000 on it now. Before the work was done I would have said it was reasonably quiet for a falcon with 140k's on the clock.

I rang the dealer straight away and voiced my concern, they sort of laughed me off, when I laboured the point they eventually said bring it in tomorrow and they'll look at it.

I can see where this is headed allready "that is normal noise"/ "no it's not". "it's just the new bushes"/"no it isn't"

Even my girlfriend noticed and I haven't been on the highway yet.

Do you guys think I have a chance of getting something done or am I just going to give myself heart burn and frustration for weeks?

blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Default Re: What are my chances?

If they are standard Ford bushes they won't be any noisier than before, it the aftermarket ones that transmit more NVH.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noticed th same with my FG. Dealer replaced the diff bush under warranty (god knows why it failed, as the car is babied) and I can feel a slight high frequency vibration at around 100 kph now, nothing major though but it could be on the OP's case that the driveline wasn't rebalanced too well.

I believe the prop shaft has to be rebalanced on the car after being disconnected to get it right.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes blockhead83, you would think that a new bush being firmer would transfer a bit more road noise than an old spongey one would`nt you, hard old tyres can make a racket too, could it also be wheel bearings? got any oil in the diff?

Kieron : Noticed th same with my FG. Dealer replaced the diff bush under warranty (god knows why it failed, as the car is babied) and I can feel a slight high frequency vibration at around 100 kph now, nothing major though but it could be on the OP's case that the driveline wasn't rebalanced too well.

I believe the prop shaft has to be rebalanced on the car after being disconnected to get it right.
i have a theory kieron some of these diff bush problems occur earlier with certain types of wheel /tyre combo`s(lower profile type), also people tend to run high tyre pressure to save a couple of dollars in fuel, the bump/shock absorbing action tyres once had is very little these days,
i live in an area bounded by bloody speed humps every where, i baby mine to, especially suspension wise, 200000 k`s same ball joints suspension bushes on my old au(touch wood/my head) and she`s still pretty tight.
i`m a firm believer a bit of bulge in the tyre is a good thing(within reason) depending on the road surface.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
If they are standard Ford bushes they won't be any noisier than before, it the aftermarket ones that transmit more NVH.
Agreed, I had our FG's bush replaced with an aftermarket solid nolathane unit, & there is certainly an increased drone at about 80 & 100k, was not done by a Ford dealer,

my understanding is it is a 7 hour job at the dealer as the the entire rear end & brakes are normally removed, but my mechanic who has done quite a few, suspends everything on stands so as not to remove all from the vehicle,

so drive shaft is not disconnected in my case, I wonder if the noise has anything to do with balancing shaft, not to say it does not but?
Old 25-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Noticed th same with my FG. Dealer replaced the diff bush under warranty (god knows why it failed, as the car is babied) and I can feel a slight high frequency vibration at around 100 kph now, nothing major though but it could be on the OP's case that the driveline wasn't rebalanced too well.

Hmm...we just had the 30,000 service on our G6E, and they noticed an oil weep from the front pinion seal...they cleaned it up and will "check it at next service"...wonder if there's some issues with the diff on these things?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I know the early BA Turbo diffs had a whining issue, which they fixed later in the run. Not sure of when the changeover period was though.

Tyre pressures with low profiles you do have to be a little wary of. Running them too soft causes premature failure. Unfortunately the way I pick it up, is taking a tyre off the rim and seeing it there.

The whine issue. If they try fobbing it off, ask if you can take a car from the lot for a test drive, with mechanic in tow and see if it makes the same noise (Which I doubt a lot car would). Then run with that.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
blockhead83

Just got back from the dealership and after a little too and fro about new bushes and how much more noticeable they would make any diff noise, I took a mechanic for a drive, once they heard the whine even at low speed they agreed that something may be amiss and are going to look at it next week.

So we'll see how it goes....
Old 25-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he acknowledges somethings amiss so that`s a step in the right direction.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
he acknowledges somethings amiss
so this dealer now only gets their mechanics to test drive the car IF a customer complains? .....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
jixel 78

Mmm. When youre happy they send a mechanic around to your house with some lippy on and a bunch of flowers.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
so this dealer now only gets their mechanics to test drive the car IF a customer complains? .....
Yeah I know, when I got there to pick the car up it was out on a "road test". The car was definitely out because I heard it come back. I suppose "road test"=quick spin around the block (in the peak hour traffic where it would be impossible to get over 10Kph) with the radio on.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son

Normally the service centre doesn't go this far. So it seems like the OP had half a win. Just wait for the other half to crop up.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Yeah I know, when I got there to pick the car up it was out on a "road test". The car was definitely out because I heard it come back. I suppose "road test"=quick spin around the block (in the peak hour traffic where it would be impossible to get over 10Kph) with the radio on.
Whats the name of the place where you got your car worked on?
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post