Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Default AU Towbars

Hi guys, have looked on the parts database but i wouldnt have a clue which one it is.

Does anyone have the part number & Approx. Price for a towbar to suit my AU Fairmont Sedan, I specifically want the style that is a box section, and the tounge slides into it, if you know what i mean. this is the only one i have seen that will come out Under the bumper & not through it as i have a Tickford kit and want it under that.

Cheers

TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got one of those and I hate it..

I will see if I can find a part number written on it

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Stampy

ive never seen one that goes under the body kit
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You want the heavy duty 2400kg baby not the standard 1600kgs one
The HD one you WILL HAVE TO CUT THE BAR AND SKIRT no exceptions as they work on a locking pin that has to be staight and horizontal
The standard one like I have goes under the rear skirt with out cutting the skirt BUT the under of the skirt had to cut to allow the tounge to attach to the main bar but you can not see it from behing only underneath

Alan
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I'm pretty sure theres one on ebay that l saw the other day for around 100 bucks.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I would only need the 1600kg. Its not actually for towing, its more of a crash barrier thing for me, i had a towbar on my old car and it has saved the rear end before, both in car parks and in traffic where someone runs into the back of you.
A big enough hit and it wont do much, but i would rather someone nudge a towbar than my bumper and boot.

Cheers
Old 08-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Umm... this spells danger to me. Perhaps buy a car you don't care so much about, or, don't drive it in traffic. How often do u get hit in the bum? I can't remember the last time it happened to me. Possibly worth putting the money you would spend on a towbar into an account to gain interest while you wait for someone to hit your car.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

i drive in pretty heavy traffic every day of the week. It has come in handy before and i have seen plenty of times in Car Parks where people "Park by feel" once they nudge it they know there far enough forward. I would rather them nudge my Towbar than nudge my bumper
Old 09-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
i drive in pretty heavy traffic every day of the week. It has come in handy before and i have seen plenty of times in Car Parks where people "Park by feel" once they nudge it they know there far enough forward. I would rather them nudge my Towbar than nudge my bumper
geez, some people just dont care about other cars! my ute's been hit up the rear ages ago, not nice of these people to just drive off.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
I would only need the 1600kg. Its not actually for towing, its more of a crash barrier thing for me, i had a towbar on my old car and it has saved the rear end before, both in car parks and in traffic where someone runs into the back of you.
A big enough hit and it wont do much, but i would rather someone nudge a towbar than my bumper and boot.

Cheers
It's actually illegal to have the tow-hitch attached when not towing at all ... you can be charged for it (depends if the cops i having a bad day or not) ... you usually get done for it if you are driving around without the towball on it.

It's also very noticeable when your towball is all shiny and new without any scratch/grease marks on it as well.

I want to upgrade my 1600kg kit to a 2300kg kit on my ute ... the 1600kg kit was already on the ute when i bought it ... but sometimes i need to tow more than the prescribed 1600kg limit.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

Quote:

Cheers
I have the 1600kg tow bar & it tows a car & trailer no problems. I've towed a VL to Lakes Entrance without any problems. It also serves as a bit of a buffer against walls & other vehicles.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Dunno if this helps:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-BA-BF-Ford...QQcmdZViewItem
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post