Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Clunk in front brakes at low speed

my car has just developed a clunk in front under brakes at low speed its booked in to get looked at on Friday its not all that loud its just a pain in the a$$ the guy at ford said the pad may have 'come out ' a tad from the caliper and that the shims may need to be adjusted any ideas/solutions

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines doing the same thing :(
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

pull out the pads and inspect them for irregular wear, if so replace them, also check if calipers is boltet properly to upright. same happened to mate skyline and his front right hand caliper has come loose (scary though)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

both my AU's do that. Got new pads and discs on one, still does it.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Had the same with my AU, couldn't figure it out. So I spoke to a mechanic I know, he said he see's so many cars for that same problem. Apparently the dust that modern brake pads produce can cause sticking. So he just suggested giving the brakes a good drench (when cold!!!!!!), tried that and it went away, has come back again occasionaly in the last few weeks. So probably time to flush again. Give that a try first. By the way I had changed pads and went to slotted rotors and the problem was still there too.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While on the topic, whats the best way to clean the brakes!! ??
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

it may be your shock absorbers mate.I had the same problem.When the new shocks went in it went away

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
64compact

Ford did a mini recall on this noise if it is a knock - knock noise when applying and releaseing the brakes at low speed. They found out that they put the wrong Grease in the top ball joints, so they made a little tool up to greese it in the car. But they only supplied a small amount of the special grease to repair the problem. so they went back to replacing the top ball joint then it got too costly as some of the new ones became noisy, mostly because when the new ones were pressed in the tech pressed against the base of the ball joint and it stiffined it up and the knock knock came back, so now they don't do anything with them. I replace them with my tool GGT 400 and i have never had an Au back with a noise on light braking since.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #9
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

The noise i'm talking about is a single clunk, when at a standstill and releasing the brakes

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64compact
Ford did a mini recall on this noise if it is a knock - knock noise when applying and releaseing the brakes at low speed. They found out that they put the wrong Grease in the top ball joints, so they made a little tool up to greese it in the car. But they only supplied a small amount of the special grease to repair the problem. so they went back to replacing the top ball joint then it got too costly as some of the new ones became noisy, mostly because when the new ones were pressed in the tech pressed against the base of the ball joint and it stiffined it up and the knock knock came back, so now they don't do anything with them. I replace them with my tool GGT 400 and i have never had an Au back with a noise on light braking since.
I'll back this as the most likely cause and fix of the noise too. not brakes but upper ball joints.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Had it looked at couldnt find anything so ill leave it for now its very intermittant Wed last week it first happened and hasnt happened since
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I really think its the shocks mate.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dads AU XR6 used to do it. At the time ford replaced the Ball Joints under warranty and the noise was gone....

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I really think its the shocks mate.
Well its gettin lowered soon anyway so that might fix it
- Antz Turboside Intake