Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What is Holdens next V8?

My understanding is the 5.3 will likely remain pushrod with direct injection, and a new OHC or DOHC 6.2 DI. No 5.5!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #32
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

To the OP. Calais, refer to what yift posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
we get an egineering firm to legally lower the seats in fg's fo people like me that cant fit under the steering wheel properly, especially in manuals.
Sounds like you want the power and sophistication of the FPV GS ute and the steering wheel height is the only issue. Check it out / PM yift and see how you go. You'll be much happier with that supercharged goodness

Then in time, if the needs / urges for mods present themselves. The rewards versus dollars spent will be exponential on the FPV GS compared to the GMH SS.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #33
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: What is Holdens next V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I heard they are dusting off the 308....
Are you teasing?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #34
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Are you teasing?
Yep !
Old 13-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #35
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
To the OP. Calais, refer to what yift posted.
Sounds like you want the power and sophistication of the FPV GS ute and the steering wheel height is the only issue. Check it out / PM yift and see how you go. You'll be much happier with that supercharged goodness

Then in time, if the needs / urges for mods present themselves. The rewards versus dollars spent will be exponential on the FPV GS compared to the GMH SS.
Great advice. The ZF and SC V8 are light years ahead of what GM currently offer. Regarding the SS "the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a bargain", or "you get what you pay for" whatever saying takes your fancy.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I don't mean to sound picky here but you claim to have a back problem and fitting under the steeringwheel of the FG is a drama ?,
But yet you are looking at purchasing a "manual" wouldn't that cause a uncomfortable driving experience aswell if you have a bad back ?.
Why not a auto ?.
All good, I don't have a problem driving manual cars at all, my issue is with my middle back and the overall seating position.

I will definately be chasing up possibilities of lowering the seats in a GS. That horse hasn't bolted yet, not by a long shot

Based on the outcome of that possibility, the GS would be my first choice. As an auto, solely because the ZF is such a good unit.

Cheers and thanks to all who have posted in this thread.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #37
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
All good, I don't have a problem driving manual cars at all, my issue is with my middle back and the overall seating position.

I will definately be chasing up possibilities of lowering the seats in a GS. That horse hasn't bolted yet, not by a long shot

Based on the outcome of that possibility, the GS would be my first choice. As an auto, solely because the ZF is such a good unit.

Cheers and thanks to all who have posted in this thread.
The GS Mk2 would be even more attractive with updated front end and interior gizmos, but that's if you're happy to wait till this time next year. It's a long wait if you want something now, and if it's going to be held onto for the next ten years then I'd buy now and ignore the "what if I wait" thoughts otherwise you'll do your head in.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #38
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Nothing wrong with good ol fashioned pushrods, allows for a more compact design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I heard they are dusting off the 308....
Would sound tougher than most LS series!
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
RAPID_BA
Banned

Nothing wrong with the 6L holden motor. Just go a tune and a few bolt ons and be done with it.

But how can you resist a supercharged 5L from fpv. If I was going new and its a keeper, get the gs. Get the steering or seat modded to get you in

I know of a bloke who bought a lamborghini diablo he couldn't physically get into. His challenge was to hit the treadmill. His son drove it in the interim. Last I heard he sold it as he couldn't drop the weight.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #40
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Thumbs up Re: What is Holdens next V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Nothing wrong with the 6L holden motor. Just go a tune and a few bolt ons and be done with it.

But how can you resist a supercharged 5L from fpv. If I was going new and its a keeper, get the gs. Get the steering or seat modded to get you in

I know of a bloke who bought a lamborghini diablo he couldn't physically get into. His challenge was to hit the treadmill. His son drove it in the interim. Last I heard he sold it as he couldn't drop the weight.
The 6ltr motor with correct goodies is still a match and more for thr 5.0.The L76 and so on might not be new on the scene but the runs are on the board N/A or boosted.Alot of reasons why one can resist,if one eyed I guess not as easy.Im not saying you are either.

Happening to mod a seat on a brand new car,no thanks,what else needs changing?

Pushrod Power
Old 16-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #41
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
The 6ltr motor with correct goodies is still a match and more for thr 5.0.The L76 and so on might not be new on the scene but the runs are on the board N/A or boosted.Alot of reasons why one can resist,if one eyed I guess not as easy.Im not saying you are either.

Happening to mod a seat on a brand new car,no thanks,what else needs changing?

Pushrod Power
Calais wants an automatic. The L76 AFM equipped VE SS was outgrunted and slower than the FG XR8 290. Several tests had this confirmed.

So, you want to add mods to make it match the supercharged goodness of the 5.0 Miami FPV. Gee modded car, versus stock car. Fair comparison. NOT.

If you want to spend $5k (CAI/Headers/Exhaust/Cam/Tune) to mod the 6.0L and compare to a $1500 tuned only 5.0L you will still be 100rwhp down on the FPV, WAY slower and stuck with a less sophisticated driveline.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #42
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: What is Holdens next V8?

L76 VZ SSV 6 speed manual(yes a proper manual ),wasnt talking about the VE nor was my post directed to op,was merely a reply to HulkI could spend 10 minutes disecting your reply also but its pointless tbh as you have taken my post the wrong way totally.....

You have looked into it a little too much maybe?

ZF yes sophisticated,manual Ford VS manual Holden=very UNSOPHISTICATED
Old 16-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #43
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Calais wants an automatic. The L76 AFM equipped VE SS was outgrunted and slower than the FG XR8 290. Several tests had this confirmed.

So, you want to add mods to make it match the supercharged goodness of the 5.0 Miami FPV. Gee modded car, versus stock car. Fair comparison. NOT.

If you want to spend $5k (CAI/Headers/Exhaust/Cam/Tune) to mod the 6.0L and compare to a $1500 tuned only 5.0L you will still be 100rwhp down on the FPV, WAY slower and stuck with a less sophisticated driveline.
A GS requires zero mods to keep up with a full bolt on L98. Maybe if we stripped the VE of some weight and placed some slicks on it, it would beat a bone stock GS ZF.

Fwiw the 6.0 in isolation isn't all that bad, but yeah, even in n.a. form the 5 litre Coyote would punch the 6.0's lights out so you can imagine what Miami would do it. When it comes to outright performance they shouldn't be mentioned together.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #44
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is true that the S/C 5.0 litre is a seriously strong performer. The 6.0 Litre GM V8 isnt exactly a slouch either. They are aimed at 'similar' markets and use that term loosely.

To be honest, I drive pretty sedately. Driving to the strengths of the torque curve rather than an all out 1/4 mile style blowing everything that comes my way into the weeds.

I know that there are a number of members on this forum who have very similar tastes when it comes to high performance cars. Just because it has 300+ kw doesn't mean I am going to tap into them every chance I get.

What I am after with my next car, is a car that feels muscular to drive, and that has the ability to really move when I want to. I am prepared to make concessions and compromise when it comes to the final purchase. Either way I will be seriously happy with what I buy.

I am looking now at arranging 24 hour test drives for each car, to really determine suitability for my needs. I'll keep the forum posted on my progress.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post