Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default EVO's Worlds Best Sounding Cars - every configuration from V2 to V16 to quad rotor!

http://extras.evo.co.uk/

Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: EVO's Worlds Best Sounding Cars - every configuration from V2 to V16 to quad rotor!

Apparently Mazda spent a million bucks rebuilding the 787B so it could do that lap of Le Mans on the 20th anniversary...
Old 16-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
HenryFordJr

Default Re: EVO's Worlds Best Sounding Cars - every configuration from V2 to V16 to quad rotor!

Thanks for sharing, good stuff..!!

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFordJr
Thanks for sharing, good stuff..!!
Yeah good way to kill an hour or so!
Old 16-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
GTP 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Apparently Mazda spent a million bucks rebuilding the 787B so it could do that lap of Le Mans on the 20th anniversary...
Nope, they didn't rebuild it they just did a freshen up of the motor and it I highly doubt it would've cost anywhere near 1 million dollars.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Nope, they didn't rebuild it they just did a freshen up of the motor and it I highly doubt it would've cost anywhere near 1 million dollars.
Oh ok where did you get that info from then?

I'm just quoting EVO which said: "787B Chassis no. 002 has housed moths back in Hiroshima, except for a brief outing at the Goodwood festival of Speed a few years back. This year, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the company's finest hour of motorsport, Mazda commissioned a complete rebuild of the car at a cost of $1 million so that it could lap the famous French circuit one more time. Johnny Herbert, one of the victorious 1991 team, drive the car and anyone with computer access must watch the video."
Old 16-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't had to replace a broken custom carbon fibre tub on any race cars myself, or rebuild a 1 of a kind 4.7 litre 700hp/9000rpm 4 rotor engine, but I'd hazard a guess they might be a little on the exxy side. Not to mention the carbon brakes and clutch and god knows what other bespoke items would've needed replacing...

I reckon it would probably add up pretty quick...
Old 16-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

A little strange the 787B uses a 5 Speed manual transmission.
I would have thought a Sequential Trans like our V8 Supercars or F1...
Maybe its just a regulation in that category.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
A little strange the 787B uses a 5 Speed manual transmission.
I would have thought a Sequential Trans like our V8 Supercars or F1...
Maybe its just a regulation in that category.
It was twenty years ago don't forget. I think only Porsche had anything like that at the time no?
Old 16-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
It was twenty years ago don't forget. I think only Porsche had anything like that at the time no?
I got no idea, LOL

20 Years, explains the technology gap.
Imagine how good it could be with an up to date transmission.

Love the sound of it, makes me want another rotor. Brup bup brup
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having seen the time lapse video of the 787b rebiuld. No way in hell it would have been $1mill. You could replicate the whole car for a hell of alot less.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post