Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #61
z80
Banned

Default Re: Falcon future to be decided in 6 months: Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Hmmm, a turbo diesel AWD Falcon with a 2.5 tonne tow capacity.

I see diesel Mondeos everywhere in rural Australia, make it Australian made, with more room, all-wheel-drive, big tow capacity, with the Falcon name and you will have the default sedan for Australian rural buyers.

Personally I doubt there will ever be an AWD Falcon.

If you want AWD, buy a Territory is the FoA business model.

A Falcon with AWD would drink an extra 20% more fuel, and be completely unnecessary in Australian conditions.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
Exactly my point ...You look at a schedule that can be 8 weeks ahead.Plan for it.
Ive been in Automotive Components since 1985,so have a fair idea whats going on in the Manufacturing world.
Do you suspect that Ford will source alternate components to yours from Asia or elsewhere?
Can they do that or is your supply chain essential as just in time delivery?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #63
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Do you suspect that Ford will source alternate components to yours from Asia or elsewhere?
Can they do that or is your supply chain essential as just in time delivery?
To be honest,Ford can do what they want,being in reasonably close proximity,maybe that keeps us in the picture....
Being JIT,that helps & we have a long association with all of the Auto companies in Australia,these days that is Nostalgia,nothing more .To put it mildly i think component manufacturing is virtualy doomed in this country.

* I recall the day Nissan closed,in the same 24 hrs,all there Moulding Tools were welded shut...
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #64
Bobman
Regulator

Most of the speculators about the Falcon have been magazine or online car site writers. This has been going on for years.

Have to wonder though if in the future labour rates grow in countries such as China and India as the industrial revolution hits full peak - what will people do then? I personally can't wait for that to happen, so companies stop trying to save a buck and exploit slave labour.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
To be honest,Ford can do what they want,being in reasonably close proximity,maybe that keeps us in the picture....
Being JIT,that helps & we have a long association with all of the Auto companies in Australia,these days that is Nostalgia,nothing more .To put it mildly i think component manufacturing is virtualy doomed in this country.

* I recall the day Nissan closed,in the same 24 hrs,all there Moulding Tools were welded shut...
Look at Pilkington glass, Ford went to an Asian supplier through its FAPA approved supplier list,
I think the same is clearly happening with all local suppliers and the squish is on for profitability.
That sadly, will see more local suppliers being forced out, it's the death of a thousand cuts...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

A Falcon with AWD would drink an extra 20% more fuel, and be completely unnecessary in Australian conditions.
The yanks want FWD because its around 1 mpg better economy, but going awd removes that gain and further adds costs, so whats the point?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #67
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Look at Pilkington glass, Ford went to an Asian supplier through its FAPA approved supplier list,
I think the same is clearly happening with all local suppliers and the squish is on for profitability.
That sadly, will see more local suppliers being forced out, it's the death of a thousand cuts...
Who was the Glass mob in Geelong that MHG now own?

Death of a thousand cuts would have to be better than The Cat o Nine Tails were currently dining on ,surely........
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #68
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Agreed with the first 2 statements. But completely disagree with the 3rd. Sadly at the top of the page which gets the most attention.

Why would AWD Falcon drink 20% more? It wouldn't.

RWD FG Falcon uses 9.9L/100km and RWD SZ Territory uses 10.6L/100km. Despite their being a ~275kg (+15%) weight difference between them and a sedan versus SUV body. Only 7%.

The SY2 Territory AWD (6spd) used 12.5L, RWD (4spd) used 12.0L/100km. About 4% but add the acknowledged 6% gain from the 4spd to 6spd. So, 10%.

The SZ Diesel AWD uses 8.2L, RWD 8.8L/100km with both using 6spd. About 7%.

Empirically. Somewhere between 7% and 10% is most likely.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #69
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

At the end of the day, the same amount of power is getting to the ground, the only thing changing is the higher drive train losses, so unless 20% more power is lost to the drive train in an AWD setup, then fuel use will not increase by 20%.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #70
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Thumbs up Re: Falcon future to be decided in 6 months: Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Agreed with the first 2 statements. But completely disagree with the 3rd. Sadly at the top of the page which gets the most attention.

Why would AWD Falcon drink 20% more? It wouldn't.

RWD FG Falcon uses 9.9L/100km and RWD SZ Territory uses 10.6L/100km. Despite their being a ~275kg (+15%) weight difference between them and a sedan versus SUV body. Only 7%.

The SY2 Territory AWD (6spd) used 12.5L, RWD (4spd) used 12.0L/100km. About 4% but add the acknowledged 6% gain from the 4spd to 6spd. So, 10%.

The SZ Diesel AWD uses 8.2L, RWD 8.8L/100km with both using 6spd. About 7%.

Empirically. Somewhere between 7% and 10% is most likely.
Yep, and if they go Carbon Fibre on the rims, that's 7-8% improvement right there
Old 15-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #71
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
A Falcon with AWD would be completely unnecessary in Australian conditions.
True. The WRX market would most likely never buy a Falcon anyway.

Edit: From what I hear, the Americans don't want FWD either; they feel that it is forced upon them by manufacturers looking to save money. Read any US article about the Falcon, and the comments section would be littered with replies stating that Ford should bring the Falcon over to the US, and that the Falcon is a much better car than the local Ford product.

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 15-09-2011 at 12:09 AM.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #72
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Facelifted Taurus due out soon, you be the judge...
http://www.ford.com/cars/thenewtaurus/
I simply can't get my head around how dated that...erm...car looks. The doors still look circa 2000 Mondeo. As well as this, it appears very 'fat' and American looking, apparently with no interior space as well. Keep that abomination off our shores, please.

This is coming from a person who saw an AU I Forte drive past on their walk home, and thought "Wow, that is one fine looking car!" (What is happening to me?)

Nice to see the EcoBoost 2.0 available, though.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #73
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
I simply can't get my head around how dated that...erm...car looks. The doors still look circa 2000 Mondeo. As well as this, it appears very 'fat' and American looking, apparently with no interior space as well. Keep that abomination off our shores, please.
I wouldn't exactly call it an 'abombination', there have been much worse looking American cars over the years. I prefer the conservative look personally. Although the foot operated parking brake is a joke, it's not the 1950s anymore Ford NA.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #74
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given that the Falcon (and Territory) is the only car in the entire range that isn't an "import", then I don't see how the brand will "collapse" if they replace teh Falcon with something from overseas.

They don't sell bulk cars to enthusiasts...they sell them to people who want "a car" and fleet buyers. There is also too much concentration of it being a rear wheel drive platform...the fact is that they've repeatedly shown that the vast majority of people either couldn't care or don't know which end of thier car is doing the driving...front wheel drives have come a long way, and people care more about other things than chirping the back tyres.

It'd be nice to see Falcon survive...but I still remember the wailing and nashing of teeth when the Kingswood went the way of the dodo for the Commodore, and Chrysler killed off the CM Valiant for the Sigma. Neither company went bust, the buyers just changed thier perspective and realised what they really wanted out of a car...and it wasn't the name.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 15-09-2011 at 05:44 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #75
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Given that the Falcon (and Territory) is the only car in the entire range that isn't an "import", then I don't see how the brand will "collapse" if they replace teh Falcon with something from overseas.

They don't sell bulk cars to enthusiasts...they sell them to people who want "a car" and fleet buyers. There is also too much concentration of it being a rear wheel drive platform...the fact is that they've repeatedly shown that the vast majority of people either couldn't care or don't know which end of thier car is doing the driving...front wheel drives have come a long way, and people care more about other things than chirping the back tyres.

It'd be nice to see Falcon survive...but I still remember the wailing and nashing of teeth when the Kingswood went the way of the dodo for the Commodore, and Chrysler killed off the CM Valiant for the Sigma. Neither company went bust, the buyers just changed thier perspective and realised what they really wanted out of a car...and it wasn't the name.
The customer survey Ford did a couple of years ago indicated that 50% of people didn't care which wheels drive the car, and the other 50% actually did. So I don't know where you've pulled that "fact" that has been "repeatedly shown" that large car buyers don't care about drive type. There were even forum members here who completed the survey...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #76
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
What will the Falcon Performance Vehicles (FPV) company do? they haven't really bothered using the rest of the ford range. ie hot hatches or fpv rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Have to wonder though if in the future labour rates grow in countries such as China and India as the industrial revolution hits full peak - what will people do then?
They'll simply look for other cheap labour sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
This is coming from a person who saw an AU I Forte drive past on their walk home, and thought "Wow, that is one fine looking car!" (What is happening to me?)
it's a nice car apart from that cheese grille. WWTT?
Old 15-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #77
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

If it is Taurus based there will be an AWD version, they would throw away too many profitable performance and luxury sales if it was FWD only.

Actually I am betting it will be released as AWD only to begin with and then 6 months down the track FWD versions will be released. That way the media wont focus on it being FWD when it is first released and tarnish the new model.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post