Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
SWOOP
XRSVO

Default Rear strut mount problem, is this it (VIDEO)

Howdy all

lately my rear suspension has felt a bit rough and noisy ,making me think about the faulty factory mounts. So today I rip the covers off and found
that the top steel cap and rubbermount underneath have about a 10-15mm gap between (that cant be right???)
so I decided to put my camera recording it while I bounced it up and down well the result has left me stumped ,I know how most things work but this is just weird ,is it the mounts or is it normal??????

cheers Joel

the video of suspected problem, bout 2meg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/swoopa/vi...tmountprob.wmv

SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep - that's stuffed. If the car's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and get it foxed. If not, then I would buy a set of nolathene bushes and install them under the nut on the mounting side, just to minimise the movement. I think my car has the same issue, as it's making a noise like that from the back somewhere, but only occasionally.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
SWOOP
XRSVO

thanks for that
Old 27-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
buickman
buickman

The IRS does move up & down like that but yours seems to have the shaft or ram sticking out of the rubber bush.
Remove the strut an easy job as every thing is complete & it might only be the rubber bush. I beleive it won't be a big problem.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
SWOOP
XRSVO

yes Its like shocks shaft has punched its way through the mount, and the weight of car only rests on the spring tension

I went down to local dealer this afternoon and ordered a new set of mounts only $86 each, fit em up friday
Old 30-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the whole mount a cup type thing ..

with a metal wierd shape thing with a hole in the middle??

and it separates from the spring cup part??
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
SWOOP
XRSVO

YES I pulled out the struts yesterday and the mounts were shagged the little metal piece in the centre had separated moved a fair bit too ,new tops installed and raised my spring base up a notch to stop it punching through again hopefully, handles like new again