Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AUII Shifter Movement

Hi guys
i know i have dropped off a fair bit from the forums lately, but i have been busy with tafe and work, its killing me!
anyways, i have had my AUII Futura Classic for just over a month now, and its chalk and cheese compared to the old BargeEA! I only have one issue with it that i have been getting mixed opinions on. I have noticed that, especially over bumps, that the T-Bar auto gear slector moves quite a bit when in D, mostly back and forth. Are they supposed to have so much play in them?
Just to help the picture, i just put brand new AUII XR6 springs and series I XR8 17" wheels. Is that my problem?

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Moya

The auto freely moves between D and 3. You need to press the button to get it into Neutral, and 2.
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh yeah, thats true. but what i meant was that it moves on its own when i ride over bumps or speed humps and the like. it doesnt actually drop onto a different gear or anything, it just feels very loose under my hand while i am driving. i have never owned a t-bar before, so i wasnt too sure about it.
Old 13-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
tickford302
T1 TE50 Galaxy Blue #010.

Location: In between German Engineering and Tickford Perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargeEA
oh yeah, thats true. but what i meant was that it moves on its own when i ride over bumps or speed humps and the like. it doesnt actually drop onto a different gear or anything, it just feels very loose under my hand while i am driving. i have never owned a t-bar before, so i wasnt too sure about it.
You will get a bit of play when going over bumps etc, its just the gearbox mounts taking up the slack as the undercarridge moves, it shouldnt be to excessive though about an inch bacward or forward, if its more than that then i would be checking the mount rubbers on the box.
Hope this helps.
tickford302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mine shakes a bit too over bumps...its perfectly normal aye.. its has to give a little on bumps or it wouldn't be normal... remember when u put it in D it isn't locked there.. it has to move

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks heaps for the advice guys. this is only the second car i have owned, and the first was a column shift, so i didnt realise it was normal. i guess it just feels like the drive train moving with the rest of the under carage. i was only a little worried as the shifter in my fathers car doesnt move as much, but thats a series 3 AU Ghia with IRS, and i only have a live axle, so things are a lot tighter on my car. thats my theory anyway. i'll just take it a bit easier over rougher surfaces from now on.
cheers
Old 14-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah dude... i always take it easy on rough ground... my mission when i drive is to avoid pot holes..perth has so many atm and councils do sh*t jobs at fixing them!!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
The auto freely moves between D and 3. You need to press the button to get it into Neutral, and 2.
I find in mine that it clicks louder back into 2 ... but need to hold the button for 1.

I was wondering the about mine as well ... the shifter does wobble back and forward a bit in D over bumps.

When under the car a few weeks ago ... the linkage is a bit loose underneath (found this when servicing the autobox) ... I'd say this is a cause ... things loosen up a bit over time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Hi guys
i know i have dropped off a fair bit from the forums lately, but i have been busy with tafe and work, its killing me!
anyways, i have had my AUII Futura Classic for just over a month now, and its chalk and cheese compared to the old BargeEA! I only have one issue with it that i have been getting mixed opinions on. I have noticed that, especially over bumps, that the T-Bar auto gear slector moves quite a bit when in D, mostly back and forth. Are they supposed to have so much play in them?
Just to help the picture, i just put brand new AUII XR6 springs and series I XR8 17" wheels. Is that my problem?
yeah when im driving my fairmont around, stock, with my hand on teh stick, i can feel it moving around over bumps and stuff. occasionally if i go off my driveway to hard in reverse, the stick will flick between R and Neutral.... weird. but yeah the stick will move freely between D, 3, and 2. but if you are only talking about the bouncing around and stuff. it happens in my car as well.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
yeah when im driving my fairmont around, stock, with my hand on teh stick, i can feel it moving around over bumps and stuff. occasionally if i go off my driveway to hard in reverse, the stick will flick between R and Neutral.... weird. but yeah the stick will move freely between D, 3, and 2. but if you are only talking about the bouncing around and stuff. it happens in my car as well.
well, it sounds like its a common thing with AU's then for the shifter to feel loose. i was talking about the bouncing rather than it actually skipping gear, it has never done that to me...yet :
i guess there really is a price to pay when lowering a car to look good!
Old 17-10-2005, 02:45 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mine hasn't skipped gear ... just shuffles a little it back and forward in D.

If you can get your car on the hoist and look to the driver's side of the gearbox ... there is the shifter linkage coming through the floor and along the side of the gearbox ... not sure if there is an adjustment for this on te box though ... but you can move the shifter from under the car (it's just slightly loose somewhere in the linkages).

I'll take a closer look when i replace my filter and auto trans fluid again soon.
Old 17-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well it just so happens i got my car on a hoist today to change the rear brakes, and the mechanic took a look at that exact spot on the transmition and told me the only way to cure this is to buy a new t-bar kit from ford, as the plastic linkage has just plain worn out. i guess i will just have to live with it until it ever decides to skip gears.
Old 17-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
well, it sounds like its a common thing with AU's then for the shifter to feel loose. i was talking about the bouncing rather than it actually skipping gear, it has never done that to me...yet :
i guess there really is a price to pay when lowering a car to look good!
yeah mine only skips when i back off the driveway too hard... but apart fromthat its just the bouncing as you described. i got a tranny service done before i bought the car so i dunno. it never happened in my ED.
Old 17-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #14
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i only noticed this problem when i chucked 18's on.
since then it movesd like a biaatch! but as you said, AS LONG AS IT DONT slip into a lower gear while driving, its cool with me!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
JoesAu

yer mine does the same, s*** the hell out of me and it seems its only happened recently cos i hardly remeber it being like that since i had the car.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 11:23 PM   #16
aualright

My AUIII ute does it, but also when the power is down a little. It doesn't click out of D but it toggles back and forth slightly - enough for me to notice even when I bought it at only 3 mths. having said that, the shifter moves nicely between gears and I find it quite easy to use the gears manually even though 1st and 2nd need the button pressed.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #17
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have not noticed this is mine, I will have to have a look and see if it does it to.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My AU III XR6 did it when it was brand new along with our AU II Fairmont, standard, no fix for it! Its bloody worrying.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you put your foot down and watch it change from first to second, it moves a long way. Maybe I should keep my eyes on the road when doing this.
Old 20-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #20
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
My AU III XR6 did it when it was brand new along with our AU II Fairmont, standard, no fix for it! Its bloody worrying.
far out, this is a worry! and you say there is no fix for it at all? so my mechanic was on the wrong track about replacing the t-bar assembly? i just hope it doesnt just start getting worse, because it does happen all the time now.
Old 20-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

I was having a think about it, and I think it would be a necessity for it to move around heaps. I think that if you hit a big bump, your wheels, suspension and everything else moves, and has give, but if your gearbox did not, (have give, movement) it would stress the steel, resulting in premature failure. This is probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.
Old 20-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Surely there is a fix for it ... but it never bothers me. Mine stays in gear ... has been doing it since i got the ute. So what ... it moves. As long as it shifts properly ... I don't mind.
Old 21-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #23
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Surely there is a fix for it ... but it never bothers me. Mine stays in gear ... has been doing it since i got the ute. So what ... it moves. As long as it shifts properly ... I don't mind.
thats a very good point, there is no need to stress over it unless it causes a problem. my car shifts smoothly so far so i should be happy.