Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: New York show: New Taurus points to Falcon facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Am I right in assuming this article is about the next Generation of Falcon, ie, 2015 onwards and not FG2?!
You know something we dont? Next "new" Falcon is not confirmed yet (hence all the hoopla), Tezz got a new front and that design was locked in a long time ago, Im sure FG2 will get a similar treatment. Hopefully they dont share too much as we want a little bit of difference, but you could understand if they did.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You know something we dont? Next "new" Falcon is not confirmed yet (hence all the hoopla), Tezz got a new front and that design was locked in a long time ago, Im sure FG2 will get a similar treatment. Hopefully they dont share too much as we want a little bit of difference, but you could understand if they did.
I know about as much as everyone else. I was just thinking for it to look like the tauras would be a major change. The change from fg to fg2 would be like the terri as with a larger bottom than top grill. I can't see that much change for the superman grill for fg2 given previous series updates.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I know about as much as everyone else. I was just thinking for it to look like the tauras would be a major change. The change from fg to fg2 would be like the terri as with a larger bottom than top grill. I can't see that much change for the superman grill for fg2 given previous series updates.
Yeah sorry what I was getting at is FG2 should be like the revision on the Tezz. Front and back tweeked and doors kept, although this time around I am not sure if they will bother much with its rear (might have to because it will look odd).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #34
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The article mentions Falcon getting the inverted trapezoid grill like MC mondeo..it is NOT getting the superman grill. Which is a shame.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
The article mentions Falcon getting the inverted trapezoid grill like MC mondeo..it is NOT getting the superman grill. Which is a shame.
How different is that to the existing grill?! I'm confused!

I love the superman grill... Looks like a bigger version of the XF Jag grill...
Old 29-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah sorry what I was getting at is FG2 should be like the revision on the Tezz. Front and back tweeked and doors kept, although this time around I am not sure if they will bother much with its rear (might have to because it will look odd).
ah right...

I'm not a fan of the terri rear, though I havent seen it in the flesh...
Old 29-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Yep, I would. Not a performance model but a standard or luxury model.

The Aurion (what I would consider the current large front driver for comparison) isnt a bad car for a daily drive.

But, and it's a BIG BUT, the XR6T/XR8 (if there is one) will need to be AWD with a rear bias IMO.

And I quite like the look of the Taurus. Bold and muscular. Dont get me wrong I like the look of the FG too, it's sleek and elegant, but it blends into the landscape a bit too much.
If the Falcon goes FWD/AWD you can say goodbye to the V8, as it can't go east/west in the engine bay to accommodate the front trans-axle. It will be Ecoboost 4 and V6, and NA V6 only.

I for one would never touch a FWD Falcon, and I don't think i'd bother with AWD either. And i'd rather keep buying old RWD Falcons than touch a Commodore.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #38
jixel 78

I hope they bring it in. Its a clean slate. Dont call it a Falcon though.No one would buy it, even if it was RWD. I reckon the name is partly to blame for its slow sales. Falcon. Ho hum. All the technical mumbo jumbo and how well they drive turbo this quad cam that FPV ecoboost da da da doesnt cut it. Call it something else for gods sake. I reckon its gunna be Taurus. Its not writing off Falcons heritage. Its dragging Ford Oz (and `I`m buying a Commodore` dropkicks) kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Sorry to get off topic but I`m a fan of the new Taurus.

Last edited by jixel 78; 01-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If the Falcon goes FWD/AWD you can say goodbye to the V8, as it can't go east/west in the engine bay to accommodate the front trans-axle. It will be Ecoboost 4 and V6, and NA V6 only.

I for one would never touch a FWD Falcon, and I don't think i'd bother with AWD either. And i'd rather keep buying old RWD Falcons than touch a Commodore.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #40
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get a laugh out of the RWD fanboy's who carry on as though a FWD would make them less of a man if they owned one... keep it up, the world needs clowns.

maybe before condemning large FWD vehicles, the haters should try driving one. not an old one, a late model with the latest technology.

as for high performance models. it's likely they'll be AWD or RWD (based on the mustang).

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #41
stang65
FPRJET

And also no V8, nothing to do with less of a man more to do with power source options and the fact that they enjoy RWD, I suppose you count yourself more of a man because you drive FWD pfffft.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #42
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah yeah i measure my dick by the type of drive my vehicle has...

honestly, if the comments were made by people who'd actually driven both large modern RWD's and FWD's then they'd have some credibility, but trouble is too many have preconceived ideas based on cars of the past. personally, i don't have a preference either way. my current car is by a long way the best car i've ever had, but in saying that, it's also the newest car i've had. it's as large as a falcon and has reasonable power (about 150kw atw) and to be perfectly honest you'd hardly realise it is FWD.

it's a polarizing issue for sure, but some of the uninformed drivel that gets spouted is only good for a laugh...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
hahah yeah i measure my dick by the type of drive my vehicle has...

honestly, if the comments were made by people who'd actually driven both large modern RWD's and FWD's then they'd have some credibility, but trouble is too many have preconceived ideas based on cars of the past. personally, i don't have a preference either way. my current car is by a long way the best car i've ever had, but in saying that, it's also the newest car i've had. it's as large as a falcon and has reasonable power (about 150kw atw) and to be perfectly honest you'd hardly realise it is FWD.

it's a polarizing issue for sure, but some of the uninformed drivel that gets spouted is only good for a laugh...

So what happens if they still prefer the RWD vehicle??
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Agreed x 2.

That new Taurus just doesn't look right.
Seems to me like they're turning the Falcon into a 2012 Edsel.
They may as well finish killing it now.

Ed
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #45
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what happens if they still prefer the RWD vehicle??
nothing except if ford make the FWD they'll be out of luck.

like i said, i'm not fussed either way whether they go FWD or stay RWD but some of the commentry is laughable...

as for styling, the US influence is a bit of a worry. nearly all the good looking fords come from europe or australia. seems the one ford concept means everybody has to adopt the american way...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
i get a laugh out of the RWD fanboy's who carry on as though a FWD would make them less of a man if they owned one... keep it up, the world needs clowns.

maybe before condemning large FWD vehicles, the haters should try driving one. not an old one, a late model with the latest technology.

as for high performance models. it's likely they'll be AWD or RWD (based on the mustang).
I've driven the Maxima and that was enough for me. Torque steer sucks. Put any decent amount of power through the front wheels and its just garbage. For the power levels I like FWD is just a waste of time, it might be fine for you at lower power levels but horses for courses.

The Focus RS may be the exception, but get the power up to the levels of say a GT or F6 and then see what happens.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #47
Buntz
Straight Eight

Large + FWD isn't a good combination.