Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #31
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: Your experience in Controlling wheel spin.

I had a bit of a chuckle, bloke with Nankangs has trouble with traction, who saw that coming If you like your car, don't insult it with cheap, crappy tyres! Half a grand for two Toyo proxes 4s would be a massive step forward.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
Blue_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Apart from the obvious throttle control point, get some real performance tyres. I had nankangs on my GT on the recommendation of a tuner, claimed they were great value, good wear and great grip. Value=nil, wear=not good(due to next point) and grip=nil. They were the largest piece of crap tyre ever, even my mildly modded, 245rwkw GT could turn the treads in the 1-2 change and in the wet was just plain scary. I then went to Toyo Proxes 4 and they were much better but I was still not happy. I now run Toyo Proxes T1R on the phoon and they are brilliant, yes I can lay strips with them but I have to exercise no throttle control to do it.

I will never understand why people spend $10k+ getting squillions of killer wasps and enough to torque to alter the rotation of the earth and then want tyres for $220 a piece with lack lustre performance. All the power in the world is no good if you can not get it to the ground.

I would sort out some decent rubber before getting suspension done, no point spending all ghat money on power and suspension when the largest single improvement would come from getting some true performance tyres. I would leave the nankangs for the next burnout comp.
+ 1 for the Toyo Proxes T1R's, I have them on the rear and with the power I am running they are great!!
Old 27-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #33
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Its funny cos my Nangkang's grip well off road better than on

Though latley all traction issues have been fixed with the ED shortblock i have in the back!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #34
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

just keep it flat! haha
Old 27-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #35
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
just keep it flat! haha
The old "when in doubt, power out!"

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #36
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
My old Charger I owned when I was 18 had nearly 300hp out of a 265 hemi, and it was running the "normal" fat tyres at the time of 195/70-14". Wheelspin was a problem for me with the four speed box, until an old hand gave me some sage advice.

He said "I can tell you exactly where your problem lies...", and he promptly trod on my right foot. He said "If you know it spins easily, then just take that into consideration and take it easy off the line then...otherwise you can fix it another way by returning the engine to standard...that usually does the trick..."

Personally I have a 6 cyl 4 slot Centura and I had the same issues until I learnt right foot control, like you. My Cenny hasn't got a 300HP 6 in it either.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #37
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
Graham is that you? vkval?

Who's that? Never heard of him

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 27-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #38
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my fuel tank level is my traction control.. lol..With premium up to $1.60
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. Better tyres
2. Get your suspension setup looked at. The more contact the tyre has with the road the better grip will be which is achieved via camber, toe etc. Don't do 2 before 1.

You mention that it happens in the cold. Are you sure you're not getting boost spikes?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
burkie_21
wild xr8

what is the best pressure to run 17's at??
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #41
fordman302

Nankang and grip dont go well in the same sentence, my au manages to get compresion lock up with them on the back in the rain....... and its an auto! but i have done 30000k and hardly show any sign of tread wear
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #42
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More power than you can handle by the sounds of it

(very jealous)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #43
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
how about not driving lead foot like a maniac, that usually fixes wheel spin issues.. especially on public roads.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. Alot of them are pretty much down the main avenue I was thinking regarding rubber. Unfortunately when i got my wheels the package was a little good to be true, but for what was once a stock 130rwkw Falcon I guess it handled well back then, now is a different story. Once I have used up the tyres I will defiantly look into some more higher quality rubber.
Alot of people are quick to say I am not handling the throttle to well. Just a bit of back round, I have had a few decent high powered cars in the past so Im not complete newbie.

Im running around 37 PSI in the tyres at them moment.

And KPCART - You clearly have no idea what your talking about so I'm sorry if this thread is a little over your head an beyond you mate. I'll try to use crayons next time so its simplified for you.....
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #44
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

+1 for suspension. I learnt my lesson on my 2nd car. A 2 door 240k Datsun.
(No laughing please) If you know the car you will know they had an issue with the back end sagging especially if they had ever towed anything. I went to get new springs for the back and thought I would be smart and got heavy duty springs. (The only difference between the standard and heavy duty spings was the diameter of the metal in the standard spring was 24mm, the heavy duty was 26mm) But anyway my point is, any time it was wet without even trying the rear end would lose traction when moving off from a set of lights. Throttle control was not even in the equation.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #45
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV

Alot of people are quick to say I am not handling the throttle to well. Just a bit of back round, I have had a few decent high powered cars in the past so Im not complete newbie.

May not be a complete newbie, but you do need to learn throttle control.

I drive many different cars everyday. They have different size tyres, different brand tyres, yet I have never managed to have them spin the tyres.

The secret is in throttle application. Gentle squeezing is the secret to stop traction breaking.

Old 27-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #46
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
May not be a complete newbie, but you do need to learn throttle control.

I drive many different cars everyday. They have different size tyres, different brand tyres, yet I have never managed to have them spin the tyres.

The secret is in throttle application. Gentle squeezing is the secret to stop traction breaking.

Completely agree dude, look at Peter Brock, he was a legend and still died to early behind the wheel. Point is we all are learning and no1 is complete perfection. But as long as everyone is aware that this isn't my 1st car over that is boosted or a V8 not to give them the wrong impression.
Im all for constructive ideas on how to deal with the problem, just not idiots who think they know me and have all the answers.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #47
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
1. Better tyres
2. Get your suspension setup looked at. The more contact the tyre has with the road the better grip will be which is achieved via camber, toe etc. Don't do 2 before 1.

?

Depends what the car is being used for, when it comes to camber. General street work, a little negative is best. Strip work. Little negative as well. Circuit work, more camber better handling for corners.

Toe. Street and strip. 0 total toe, when you push on the outer edges. Circuit. Anything from 0, without pushing on the tyres, to 3MM toe out, without the tyre push.

IMA. Still has nothing to do with the OP's problems. Camber and toe are something you fiddle with, if you're doing motorsports with the car, to help lower times. Be it quarter mile times, or lap times.

Old 28-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while we are at it, what sort of diff are you running?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #49
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

If i drove a commodore i would never be able to spin the wheels...

Just sayin...

Last edited by Road Games; 02-05-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #50
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
If i drove a commodore i would never be able to spin the wheels...

Just sayin...

You're just saying, you don't know how to drive. I know of several commodores that do very well in burnout comps. And yes, the back brakes are fully functional.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #51
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've heard that nangkangs are great for filling the sky with smoke, not much good for anything else.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #52
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
You're just saying, you don't know how to drive. I know of several commodores that do very well in burnout comps. And yes, the back brakes are fully functional.
Fishing was good last night ....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #53
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Drive it off boost =\

My mates got a 400hp VL with crappy 205s on the rear, button clutch, LSD, etc etc, no wheelspin unless he wants because he drives it off boost

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
57customline
Starter Motor

throttle control.....
57customline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post